Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it safe to come to Detroit this weekend Aug 28-29 for gathering at Shield's Pizza

I just saw the rioting on Woodward. I'm having a gathering at Shield's Pizza 5057 Woodward on Saturday at 12noon. Maybe I should change the location to Corktown- Bobcat Bonnie?
    Last edited by Chicago48; August-24-20 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    I just saw the rioting on Woodward. I'm having a gathering at Shield's Pizza 5057 Woodward on Saturday at 12noon. Maybe I should change the location to Corktown- Bobcat Bonnie?
    By rioting do you mean protesting?

You're fine. There was no rioting and the protests rarely go up Woodward much farther than LCA. You're actually better off at Shield's than Bobcat Bonnie's if you want to avoid any marches or protests.

What rioting?

You might want to avoid Greektown. There's been a few shootings there lately, usually after midnight.
    You're probably safer coming though, after all you won't be in Chicago.

You're good. 5057 Woodward is a couple miles from where that tiny protest took place.

If you see any BLM and QANON protesters out there at war with the police. You can join them or run away before the cops arrest you.

You should be fine. I doubt Detroit will be another Portland per se. We have different politic here. As with any big city you watch your back [[and don't do stupid stuff like valuables visible in a car). But overall downtown should be fine. Personally, I am not big fan of Shields though... smile.

Welcome to Detroityes!

Last edited by Zacha341; August-24-20 at 04:28 PM.

They are different though sometimes they blend in re. to certain trigger points.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    By rioting do you mean protesting?

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    If you come to Detroit, watch out for the DPD, they like to violate citizens' civil rights and brutalize people.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...g-some-of-them

Photo of a DPD officer casually spraying pepper spray into the face of a woman who is on the ground, detained and restrained. This happened yesterday.

Can you please not bring your non-Detroit Issues combative style over here? I know you miss arguing with Richard and Bigdd... I do too... but you WILL have to tone it down over here...

Craig needs to ID and terminate all four. NOW.

Ick. Yes, Greektown is so horrid now anyway. Over-priced, long-lines, bad service in what few authentic restaurants there are [[are their any?). And I don't care for the rude youth crowds pushing thru the narrow sidewalks, bullying and cursing at top volume sometimes.

I've work mentored/ taught youth, but don't put up with boisterous teens I don't know, outside of a context I can control!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You might want to avoid Greektown. There's been a few shootings there lately, usually after midnight.
    You're probably safer coming though, after all you won't be in Chicago.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-24-20 at 05:01 PM.

I'd say as long as you're not still blocking an intersection after being asked 8 times to disperse, you should be Ok.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-24-20 at 09:32 PM.

Lol. Yes, you'll be fine at Shields at noon on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by WSUAlum98 View Post
    Lol. Yes, you'll be fine at Shields at noon on a Saturday.
    Seconded. lolll

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    You should be fine. I doubt Detroit will be another Portland per se. We have different politic here. As with any big city you watch your back [[and don't do stupid stuff like valuables visible in a car). But overall downtown should be fine. Personally, I am not big fan of Shields though... smile.

Welcome to Detroityes!
    OH NO. Shields is not good???? Where else can we hold our gathering? They also have a Southfield location. My faves Union Street & TJ is not available. Any other suggestions for 10-12 people?

Default Somebody doesn't like Shield's Pizza

Awright, it seems that Shield's Pizza is the only reasonable place for a Saturday get together. Woodward Ave. Know nothing about the food, but owner said it was Covid ready. Gets 3-4 stars on Yelp.
    Last edited by Chicago48; August-25-20 at 06:53 AM.

^ Just me not a fan of Shields perhaps -- and it was that one in Southfield on Telegraph at Ten. Go to Yelp.com and see what they say re. the one you want to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Just me not a fan of Shields perhaps -- and it was that one in Southfield on Telegraph at Ten. Go to Yelp.com and see what they say re. the one you want to go to.
    Okay, I was going to the Woodward location. Talked to the owner. I don't know about the food, but the meeting is the most important. Gets 3-4 stars. Oh well! I don't have much time.

Needed a new thread to confirm where you're eating your pizza?

What's the point of this thread?

OH NO. Shields is not good???? Where else can we hold our gathering? They also have a Southfield location. My faves Union Street & TJ is not available. Any other suggestions for 10-12 people?
    Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but I noticed Traffic Jam finally reopened this past weekend. Not sure when you checked with them about your plans, but they were doing some long overdue kitchen updates the past few months, so never opened up for any kind of service until late last week. They may not have had a 100% certain reopening date when you initially checked.

I heard they are just moving pizza sauce around.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I heard they are just moving pizza sauce around.
    This is the funniest comment I've read in a long time.

At least no one is name calling!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast