Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What's the story behind this 4.485 sq. ft mansion in Indian Village for $36,900?

What's the story/history behind this 4485 square foot Indian Village mansion with 3 car garage located at 2239 Burns Street for $36,900? Has anyone been inside yet and knows what's wrong with it?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...553?gate=icrea

Anyone been in this 4,304 sq. ft one in BE at 741 Edison with swimming pool and two car garage for $40,000? I noticed a few boarded up windows. Is it beyond repair?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...709?gate=icrea

I have been in the house on Burns recently. It needs a ton of work and has quite a bit of water damage. I think that it could be nice, just would take a lot of money and work. The listing has been updated, it does not seem to big that big. Let me know if you have more questions.

Annual property taxes at 741 Edison are $11660. That might have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon48202 View Post
    Annual property taxes at 741 Edison are $11660. That might have something to do with it.
    If the building is fixed up, does it qualify for the NEZ Tax abatement or how does that work? What do you think it would be after NEZ?

The one on burns was severely water damaged from the pipes bursting on the second floor. The ceilings thru out the first floor are heavily damaged and need to be replaced, esp. in the living room, where the beautiful crown moldings are also warped as a result. After it foreclosed, the bank took to long to get in and shut the water off. This house had been a work in progress for a while before it foreclosed. Damn shame.

DetroitDad Guest

Call the realtor and ask, take a tour, and have it inspected. Most of these homes are supposedly money pits, but sometimes you find one that is still a steal if you have money to fix it up.

Pay your $2 on the city's website and get the SEV, taxable value, etc. and look at what the $11,000 consists of [[old water bill, interest,non-homestead, etc). After filing the NEZ, a tax appeal next spring, and homestead, taxes should be $2,500-5,500.

Lorax Guest

Even with the great effort it takes to reduce one's taxes, at the low end of 2,500 it's still too much. That house shouldn't be more than 500 bucks a year in taxes- it's going to sell for less than asking as well, and though I know taxes aren't based on the most recent sale price, the SEV should tell the story. It shouldn't be more than 80,000, all things considered.

Default Indian Village house

Unbelievable-the "as is" is such an ominous thought. Can you imagine what this would sell for in the Washington D.C. area?

Quote Originally Posted by x97winkler View Post
    I have been in the house on Burns recently. It needs a ton of work and has quite a bit of water damage. I think that it could be nice, just would take a lot of money and work. The listing has been updated, it does not seem to big that big. Let me know if you have more questions.
    In looking at these listings I see a couple of addresses on Burns Street. Is there a Burns Avenue or is it the same thing. The reason I ask is that shortly after I was born 60 years ago, my family lived with my grandparents for a time on Burns Avenue. My grandfather was the Pastor at the Burns Avenue Baptist Church. Could this be the same area........thank you.

I've been in the Edison House. It was winter. Last year it was listed at 100-200k. I forget but alot more. Then scrappers hit it. I saw it listed at 80 or so. Trashed. They abused it bad. Water damage in living room. Woodwork on first floor covered up by 1970's paint. Choppy first floor plan. Huge useable basement that could be fixed up. 2-3 good bedrooms on third floor with wide walk up stairs. Mixed bag but go for it. Someone needs to. I thought about it.

FWIW, I live in Chicago and I look at a lot of MLS listings. This one says heat is forced air which means at least some kind of a furnace is there. That's the first place I look, because in Chicago it means the scrappers took the furnace when the Heating features line is blank.

Not a 100% positive but I believe the boiler is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    FWIW, I live in Chicago and I look at a lot of MLS listings. This one says heat is forced air which means at least some kind of a furnace is there. That's the first place I look, because in Chicago it means the scrappers took the furnace when the Heating features line is blank.
    Realtors are often very lazy when listing foreclosures, they often don't even list the heating system properly. It could actually have steam heat. The Realtors just fill out the listing "fast" they don't check for accuracy. I find foreclosures listed all the time with garages that are listed with no garage, etc. You can't trust the listing on a foreclosure to be accurate. The commisions are not big on these things and the Realtor usually has many, so they are just lazy.

http://detroitgayhistory.blogspot.com/

I know that house on Burns, as one of my friends when I was a kid lived there. So I've been in it several times many decades ago. It was a very nice house, in a way that was pretty standard for the area. I'm very sorry to hear what's happened to it. A real shame that the bank let it go like that. In any other city this house would be quickly bought up at this cheap price and fixed up.

In answer to steveharms' question, there is only one Burns in Detroit. It is sometimes called Burns Ave., and even Burns Drive on the short portion south of Jefferson. It runs for many blocks on the east side, but only the portion between Jefferson and Mack is part of the Indian Village neighborhood and has houses that look like this one. Other than Jefferson Ave. Presbyterian at the corner of Burns & Jefferson I don't think there are any other churches on Burns in Indian Village.

Hi,

What do NEZ and SEV stand for. I just purchased a home in Detroit and I have to file the paperwork so that I can get it taxed at the homestead rate. I need to find out how to get the value reassessed so that I can possibly get the taxes lowered accordingly.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by zengardner View Post
    Hi,

What do NEZ and SEV stand for. I just purchased a home in Detroit and I have to file the paperwork so that I can get it taxed at the homestead rate. I need to find out how to get the value reassessed so that I can possibly get the taxes lowered accordingly.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Tracy
    SEV = State Equalized Value
    NEZ = Neighborhood Enterprise Zone

You should really do a Google search on these terms, or search here on this forum, and educate yourself about how property tax rates are determined in Michigan and Detroit.

A little history on 2239, construction started November of 1923 and the first owner was an Adolph Marchner who started living there in 1925.