Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ulysses Grant Home Relocated to Eastern Market

Thanks Pam... I was wondering when this was going to happen...

I just did a Google map search of that corner... not too happy about where it is going... much too far from the center of Eastern Market to make it part of the "market experience". This appears to be in the middle of nowhere... just do a 360 degree view of this corner...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...!4d-83.0392636

According to the slide show, it looks like development is going in on that same lot and it will overlook the Dequindre Cut, so maybe it's in a plan to connect that are to the market proper
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks Pam... I was wondering when this was going to happen...

I just did a Google map search of that corner... not too happy about where it is going... much too far from the center of Eastern Market to make it part of the "market experience". This appears to be in the middle of nowhere... just do a 360 degree view of this corner...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...!4d-83.0392636

I wouldn't say its the middle of nowhere. Seems about a block away from the action of EM. They could fill that with some apartments and retail in 5 or so years.

.... um... that would be 2 1/2 blocks from the action.... Eastern Market Sheds 2-5. The food warehouses/slaughter houses surrounding the square are closer to where the Grant House is going... and they get very little foot traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    .... um... that would be 2 1/2 blocks from the action.... Eastern Market Sheds 2-5. The food warehouses/slaughter houses surrounding the square are closer to where the Grant House is going... and they get very little foot traffic.
    For the record I'm not totally disagreeing with you. I just think calling it the middle of nowhere is a little hyperbole. I mean the intersection you posted is literally one block away from shed 5 and an open market area https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3497...7i16384!8i8192[[if that is indeed where it's going) and it's the entrance to Dequindre cut. And I think development will fill that block in eventually. No worries.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; August-23-20 at 02:12 PM.

Make way for the new Amazon distribution warehouse at the old fairgrouds.

Why is this historic structure going to Eastern Markup anyway? Wouldn't Greenfield Village be a more appropriate place for this? Do they plan to sell items out of it? Ulysses Kraft Beer? Maybe manufacturing? Ulysses men's boxers?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-23-20 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Why is this historic structure going to Eastern Markup anyway? Wouldn't Greenfield Village be a more appropriate place for this?
    Ft. Wayne would be the best.

Don't really matter. They moved back to New York for good. Still there, I believe.

Are you sure that's who's there?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Why is this historic structure going to Eastern Markup anyway? Wouldn't Greenfield Village be a more appropriate place for this? Do they plan to sell items out of it? Ulysses Kraft Beer? Maybe manufacturing? Ulysses men's boxers?
    I thought the same thing as you did... but apparently Grant only stayed here from April 1849 until May 1850... and that was not historic enough in importance for Greenfield Village, for them to want it. They were approached, and declined the offer.

The new location for the former General Grant home will be closer to its original location. How many presidents of the United States have lived in the metro Detroit area? I do not know where the first President Bush lived when he was stationed at Grosse Ile in World War II.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

That's really a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    The new location for the former General Grant home will be closer to its original location.
    Indeed. The house originally stood on E. Fort St. between Rivard and Russell, a block that no longer exists. But bringing it to the Eastern Market area is about as close as one could get to bringing it back home to the east side.

Hopefully it can also be restored back to something more like its original appearance below. Or at least the state it was in when it was moved to the fairgrounds back in 1957 as shown in this Detroit Historical Society clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMA12aDuX-Y

Thanks for posting the snapshot of President Grant's home when it was
    located on East Fort.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That's a fantastic idea, it would fit right in especially if it was restored to its original architecture.