Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Affordable Housing Coming with Milwaukee Junction Apartments

Want to live/need to live in the core city but are priced out? If you qualify income-wise keep an eye on this project slated for completion by next May.

Affordable housing is coming to Detroit's Milwaukee Junction neighborhood in 2021 to address increasing rent in the New Center area, the city of Detroit announced Tuesday.

Twenty out of 25 units in the new Milwaukee Junction Apartments will have monthly rent ranging from $454 to $945 - based on average median income - with water bills included. Construction began on the four-story development in May and will cost about $8 million, according to a news release....

The 22,845 square-foot building at 258 E. Milwaukee St. will be within walking distance of bus and QLINE stops. About 1,800 square feet of retail space is planned for the ground floor.

Units will include central air conditioning, in-unit washers and dryers and energy efficient LED lighting. The building also will feature a community area for residents and rooms for mail, bike storage and mechanical equipment.
    https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...917506_1343797

The article doesn't say what the $495/month rent gets you, but for $945 you better get a three bedroom unit or that's not affordable in my opinion. I have been blessed to know a real nice landlord who charges $595 [[water included) for a one bedroom in a nice Detroit neighborhood. That's market rate. No subsidies. I couldn't see paying more than $600 for a one bedroom apartment anywhere in the Detroit area. And $600 for a one bedroom apartment usually exceeds the 30% housing budget for many Detroiters. It's nice to see the Catholic Alliance behind this development. The one they built on Gratiot near McClellan looks nice externally. I hope this new-built does well.

There's a park next to the site. I see that it's the Home Depot Veteran's Memorial Park. When was it built? I don't remember seeing it there a year ago. Also, the site for the apartment has a very small footprint given that it will be built next to a occupied building on the east and the park on the west. Hopefully more developments like this can be built as in-fill on all the small lots that exist in that area. Once built this would truly be a very dense part of the city. Now if someone can convince College for Creative Studies to sell their Woodward facing surface parking lot for a mixed-use development.
    Last edited by royce; August-19-20 at 05:02 PM.