Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 5 new restaurants almost ready to open in Detroit

Talk about whistling past the graveyard... I have to hand it to these five restaurateurs to holding to their visions and looking beyond to the world when we'll be vaccinated and hugging again. I wish them all the luck and commend them for their boldness. And, I have to add, it's nice to be able to post some upbeat news for a change.

Among the five mentioned in the Free Press article by Mark Kurlyandchik I find the Coriander Kitchen at the old Fisherman's Marina in the Jefferson Chalmers canal district most exciting, mainly for the interesting location. For ages I have watched that abandoned waterfront site and pondered its potential, especially sitting next door to the affluent Grosse Pointes.

Name:  Coriander.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  37.1 KB

Here it is when I photographed it in 2004, just before it closed, when it was a seedy marina and booze and bait shop.

Name:  14129-Fishermans-Marina.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  81.1 KB

The other four restaurants are also interesting including the 10K sq. ft. Oak & Reel in Milwaukee Junction at Beaubien and E. Grand Blvd. with a pricey prix fixe that will likely start in the $60 range, with some add-ons and modifications available.

I'm particularly excited for Olin opening at the end of "Parker's Alley". I had my doubts that they would be able to recreate "The Belt" without seeming too much like a copycat, but the restaurants and shops have really made that area vibrant. Madcap, Drought, the Brakeman, Evening Bar and now Olin and Mr. Dips opening soon. Pretty cool area

I worry about all restaurants that are open [[or opening)... as to what will happen in October as the weather gets colder. Ditto for outdoor bars.

Does anybody else think Parker's Alley would be the perfect spot for a sushi bar? It would be like the closest thing you could get to a Tokyo experience. Somebody make it happen.

Excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Does anybody else think Parker's Alley would be the perfect spot for a sushi bar? It would be like the closest thing you could get to a Tokyo experience. Somebody make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I worry about all restaurants that are open [[or opening)... as to what will happen in October as the weather gets colder. Ditto for outdoor bars.
    I was thinking the same thing. It's going to be a very difficult winter. Could they use heat lamps effectively?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. It's going to be a very difficult winter. Could they use heat lamps effectively?
    Heat lamps are used widely in western Europe throughout winter, but temperatures don't often fall below freezing. I can't image they'd be effective past much past Halloween in Michigan. But they might be able give you three or four weeks extra of outdoor seating, which is still significant. I can see them being used throughout October and then again in March and April.

In a hard to make it arena throw in the sweet and sour sniffles and unrest. I love whats happened downtown in the last 10yrs and used to love going down to check out new places. However with the fake protesting and general violence that seems to be even more lately I won't be going back downtown anytime soon. Not worth it. Good luck to those that try. Tommy's is an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    However with the fake protesting and general violence that seems to be even more lately I won't be going back downtown anytime soon. Not worth it. Good luck to those that try. .
    There's not much going on downtown right now and it's actually a pretty pleasant time to be in the city because it's not as crowded as it used to be. If there are any protests, they usually stick to designated routes so you don't have too much to worry about. It's a good time to check out some new places.