Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I'm surprised more people didn't get hit by cars in neighborhoods when they allowed leaf burning in the city. You couldn't see your hand in front of your face back in those days during the fall.

Didn't live there as a child but every time we drove by Stoepel Park on Outer Drive my mom would say "your dad planted those trees during his time in the CCC camps during the depression".

What's the deal here? Looks like everything has been demolished on Biltmore, Gilchrist & Lindsay n/o McNichols. There are large demo dumpsters in the street in this GoogleEarth shot dated June 2007. The building to the north appears to be a church. Did they expand?

hey Meddle. That huge mega church was built about 10-12 years ago, my guess. The homes in the surrounding area [[bounded by 6 Mile to Curtis and Asbury Park to Oakfield) were all very old when I moved into the neighborhood in '67. I'm sure many of those houses were built around the turn of the century, and all of them were built when the area was known as Greenfield Twsp, before being annexed into detroit. I'm guessing that the neighborhood extended to Southfield but some of the houses were torn down to make room for Benedictine H.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipkid View Post
    Yea, I had Detroit News at the station behind Cartwheel and Sun Ya's near Biff's [[we called it "Barf's". I remember it being built too. Mr. Thompson ran the paper station, he was usually soused and I think he bet on horses. My route included Grand River businesses [[McCabe Funeral home, durgstore etc.) and Outer Driver between Gd.River and Fenkell. If I ended up with an extra paper or two, I'd hock it at the intersection at Creagar's. Those streets were busy so I could usually manage in the snow with my bike [[trash-picked it and fixed it up). However it was murder on Thanksgiving.....the papers were so big I could just barely fit them in my saddlebags and front bag....I'm still suprised I could pedal.....only English Racers had gears back then [[3).
    Great memories I had a News route out of there too on Glastonbury and Stahelin. I remember they had skating at the N. Rosedale center. Do they still do that?

Alleydad...Yep, they still flood the soccer fields around the community center every winter with usually two rinks. I think one was used primarily for ice-skating and the other for pick-up hockey.

We used to have some good pickup softball games at Rosedale's ball diamond back in the late 70s - mid 80s or so. Also the occasional basketball game in the parking lot where they had the hoop, or football over by where they 'built' the ice rink. I seem to only remember there being one rink back in the days when I hung out there, right off the parking lot near Glastonbury. But then again, I wasn't a skater back then - maybe they had two rinks right next to eachother? I remember some friends playing hockey there occasionally.

Name:  Hockey players at Rosedale Paerk.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  150.8 KB
    I recall playing hockey there one night under street lights. We had a friend that lived across the street from the ice rink. They closed off the place to change your skates in the summer because of drug dealing.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    We used to have some good pickup softball games at Rosedale's ball diamond back in the late 70s - mid 80s or so. Also the occasional basketball game in the parking lot where they had the hoop, or football over by where they 'built' the ice rink. I seem to only remember there being one rink back in the days when I hung out there, right off the parking lot near Glastonbury. But then again, I wasn't a skater back then - maybe they had two rinks right next to eachother? I remember some friends playing hockey there occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    What's the deal here? Looks like everything has been demolished on Biltmore, Gilchrist & Lindsay n/o McNichols. There are large demo dumpsters in the street in this GoogleEarth shot dated June 2007. The building to the north appears to be a church. Did they expand?
    The church, Fellowship Chapel, was supposed to be redeveloping those blocks with more modern, low income housing... never quite got around to it I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by paulj313 View Post
    The church, Fellowship Chapel, was supposed to be redeveloping those blocks with more modern, low income housing... never quite got around to it I suppose.
    Last I heard, it's still in negotiations. That whole area is cleaned out, you can see 6 Mile straight thru from Outer Drive.

June Day is this Saturday. It was always a big and meaningful function for all of us living in North Rosedale Park. The huge parade, the games, music, food, and performances afterwards....Anyway, I had my son upload a cluster of photos from June Days back in the 1980's over in my profile album. Please, check them out. Let me know if it brings back any memories. You may even see a "mayor" [[not really) who marched with us, then.

A few comments about that area.

Police - almost non existent. no squad cars anywhere. Maybe once in a blue moon on Grand River.
    Neighborhoods - Rosedale/North Rosedale/Grandmont. Some beautiful areas and impressive architecture. An oasis.
    Watering holes - completely non existent
    Brightmoor - lot of homes tagged for demo this spring. Detroit admin is getting things done. Bravo!
    Old Redford - killing at Wendy's on Grand River just a few days ago. I won't be going there any time soon.
    Restaurants - Scotty's - haven't tried yet but it's legendary. I will check out your suggestions!
    Last edited by major7; June-09-15 at 11:29 AM.

Actually, where we lived, we had a few cops living all within a three block radius. Also, back in the '80s. The NRPCA used to have a very active C.B. Patrol that had all members rotate weekly schedules just riding about in a marked car being mildly vigilant and wiring in if they saw clearly obvious illegal activity. Nothing gated-just being active. It demonstrated that we were being watchful [[just like the neighborhood watch signs showed), kept crime down, and no one was harassed.

North Rosedale Park was an oasis alright. What made it so great was that it was very integrated and proved quite well that it could be done for a long while [[the parade pictures will show that). I think that made some folks mad elsewhere. It wasn't perfect, and until a few hideous incidents occurred and Susan Agar wrote that horrible piece slamming us in the News, the worst we had was kids getting their bike's stolen over on Stahelin St.

Actually, my sons [[who used to be skeptical of Brightmoor) have told me Brightmoor has made some great improvements. They've been really big on community relations and now have many large constantly operating gardens in the area [[I've seen the pictures). Old Redford still has the very functioning theater community and a sweet potato place, plus a Meijer's.

-and yes, Scotty's Fish & Chips gets my thumbs up.

Also, North Rosedale Park still has it's June Days, huge Garage Sale events [[along with South Rosedale and Grandmont), and they have a wonderful Farmer's Market [[which I hope is up again for this year).

Didn't realize this was here - might have to stop on the way home...

Northwest Detroit Farmer's Market

18445 Scarsdale St.
    Detroit, Michigan 48223
    In the parking lot of the North Rosedale Park Community House

Hours

June 4 - October 1, 2015
    Open Thursdays, 4pm - 8pm

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Didn't realize this was here - might have to stop on the way home...

Northwest Detroit Farmer's Market

18445 Scarsdale St.
    Detroit, Michigan 48223
    In the parking lot of the North Rosedale Park Community House

Hours

June 4 - October 1, 2015
    Open Thursdays, 4pm - 8pm
    Scarsdale? here's a link with a good map
    http://mygrandmontrosedale.org/event...-scarsdale-st/

Still miss the Mandarin Chocolate ice cream at Baskins. They would cycle it every few months instead of being a regular flavor. Once they stopped, I don't ever recall seeing it again anywhere.

I can reproduce the orangish flavor by adding a bit of Triple Sec, but never the near black color or creamy consistency.

And what about the VanTiem sisters? I will defend their honor till my last breath. Mary Beth VanTiem and I were classmates at SMR. I recall that she was a "service girl" when I was a safety patrol boy. In high school she became our homecoming queen. In 1969 when SMR was cannon fodder for Dearborn Divine Child's homecoming game, our team bus was stuck in a parking lot traffic jam as everyone was attempting to exit at the same time. At one point, the DC homecoming queen's convertible was next to our bus. We were all silent in defeat of course, but our coach, Walt Bazylewicz, happened to look out the window and he was checking out the victorious queen. He turned his attention back into the inner sanctum of his defeated mongrels, and said to none of us in particular: "Well at least our homecoming queen is cuter." My best to Mary Beth and her sisters.
    Last edited by Vitalis; January-28-19 at 11:38 PM.

Hope you'll check out my Name:  Book of Grand River.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  154.3 KBbook that has everything from leaf burning in the street to kids jumping off garage rooftops into three foot pools.
    Over 160 photos with 73% in color.

Can we not start that on this thread too? I abandoned the other thread because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    And what about the VanTiem sisters? I will defend their honor till my last breath. Mary Beth VanTiem
    I knew the younger ones, Lynn and Lori.

Anybody know anything about the Racey girls?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3