Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Benson, Nessel warn voters not to fall for phony ballot petition pitches

Benson, Nessel warn voters not to fall for phony ballot petition pitches
    Democratic state officials are warning voters to beware of misleading pitches for ballot petitions being circulated throughout Michigan.

Attorney General Dana Nessel and Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson said their offices have received more than a dozen complaints — most focused in the southeast Michigan area — related to circulators incorrectly describing a ballot initiative to get someone's signature....

A handful of the complaints that have come into state officials have mentioned campaigning by Unlock Michigan, a ballot committee seeking to repeal the 1945 Emergency Powers of the Governor Act in an attempt to curb Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's emergency powers, said Ryan Jarvi, a spokesman for Nessel's office....
    By operating deceptively the petitioners confess they're corrupt.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-06-20 at 08:29 PM.

Seems like there has been a spike in corruption, the last few years. Geez, I wonder why?

Almost happened to me; I asked what the petition was for and he told me it was to uphold the 1945 Exec privilege law. I asked to see the petition and it was exactly the opposite; it was to repeal the '45 law.
    Edit:
    Same thing as one of the pics in the above article:
    Had me sign to allow pot shops in Clawson, but then handed me the other one and lied what it was about.
    Last edited by jcole; August-06-20 at 11:52 AM.

So we should read something before we sign it? Thanks for the head's up!
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-06-20 at 01:58 PM.

It may seem obvious, but as evidenced by people who give out their SSN over the phone or tell other people their passwords or logins when asked, it shouldn't be glossed over with a joke. It's always good to be vigilent
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    So we should something before we sign it? Thanks for the head's up!

As a rule I sign NO petitions, ever. I almost got scammed by someone asking all kinds of inappropriate info.

You wonder who falls for these ploys but apparently some do.

Oh crap! You mean that that Nigerian bankers widow who wanted to share her late husband's $12 million estate with me [[there must be a Nigerian bankers epidemic in recent years!!) ... that I shouldn't have given her my banking information??

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    As a rule I sign NO petitions, ever. I almost got scammed by someone asking all kinds of inappropriate info.
    Deception regarding the intent of petitions is sadly par for the course in many instances . In the past, someone circulated a petition claiming it would prevent staffing cuts to our fire department. Although I didn't sign, I later learned upon the measure passing that the city had to hire additional fire fighters because the minimum staffing ratio stated in the petition was higher than what presently existed.

Consequently, the only petitions I'd consider signing would be for those needing a minimum number of signatures to run for office. Anything else, I politely decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Benson, Nessel warn voters not to fall for phony ballot petition pitchesBy operating deceptively they confess they're corrupt.
    One hopes Benson & Nessel are merely warning people to read petitions before signing and not trying to discourage people from signing any legitimately-presented petitions they might believe are worth supporting even if state personnel might disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by 248lurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Benson, Nessel warn voters not to fall for phony ballot petition pitchesBy operating deceptively they the petitioners confess they're corrupt.
    One hopes Benson & Nessel are merely warning people to read petitions before signing and not trying to discourage people from signing any legitimately-presented petitions they might believe are worth supporting even if state personnel might disagree.
    Just to clarify, in "By operating deceptively they confess they're corrupt." "they" refers to the petitioners, not Benson & Nessel.

I've corrected the OP accordingly.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-06-20 at 09:12 PM.