Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Companies Bring Employees back to the office

Does anyone know which companies and when are bringing their office employees back to the office, this is critical for many of the small businesses downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by shawring View Post
    ...this is critical for many of the small businesses downtown.
    I guess fuck the health and safety of our fellow human beings in the midst of a deadly pandemic and the recommendation by scientists to social distance...

Critical work has already occurred [[employees working downtown, elsewhere).

Had it not core services such as water and sewage services would have ceased, the electrical grid turned off, grocery stores, postal service ended etc. And of course medical, nursing home, dialysis staff care staff and others related personnel while reduced, continued to function.

Waste water treatment workers for example had to manage social distancing so that our water remained safe and potable!

Ascribed essential workers and worked daily thru the pandemic from the beginning. The number of those workers changed, their work sites were adapted due to the COVID. Those of us not as essential who had jobs that could be converted to work from home did/ do that. This is especially so for customer service work where home telcom could be leveraged.

And actually working now [[in Michigan) is a bit safer now that we KNOW more about how the virus is contracted. So bringing back staff for small business may increase as the infection rate goes down as a carefully phased-in option with proper PPE could be an option.

Perhaps phased in with half weeks on the job site, half at home remote.

Which companies? Not sure, but for sure some are coming back in person. Determined by what kind of work, social distancing and PPE options.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-06-20 at 05:53 AM.

I work for a company that started allowing a very limited number of people to return to the office about a month ago.

Lots of protocols in place. Multiple training sessions on "return to work". Our office seats around 1,000 yet there are rarely more than a couple dozen cars in the lot. The biggest issue? Yellow caution tape over the coffee makers.

Many of us in the office require access to equipment in the lab that can't be brought home. Product development must go on if we want to still have a job when this is all over. Some of it can be done remote, much of it cannot.

I really think it must be acknowledged that there is a reasonable middle ground in the total lockdown vs. reopening discussion.

The company my son works for will not be working in office until after the first of the year. They had several confirmed cases early on in the epidemic. My daughter's job requires her to travel several times throughout the month and in office once a week. She will not be doing either for the foreseeable future. One of her clients had several confirmed cases, one being severe. I'm thankful they have the luxury to work from home.

Looks like United Shore in Pontiac has 50 confirmed cases.........
    https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronaviru...-officials-say
    Last edited by Maof; August-06-20 at 06:39 AM.

My wife works for a prominent downtown company and they will not be returning to the office until at least the first of the year. Personally, I've been "essential" and working in a closed downtown office through this whole thing. Not a word has been said about bringing everyone back.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    social distance...
    I swear I'll ban that phrase when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I swear I'll ban that phrase when I get the chance.
    That's nice, dear.

My company is based in California, with offices everywhere around the world. Our local office is in Farmington. Their policy is that they will not open the offices for general employee use until all the offices can be open, so we are working from home for the foreseeable future. If you have a good reason to go in, you sign up for a time slot to prevent more than two people being in at once. I've only gone in once to grab my PC and bring it home and there was nobody else there. According to the office manager, maybe, a couple of people go into the office for a few hours a week, mainly to use our conferencing equipment as they don't have a good spot for customer-facing conference calls at home.

Large employer downtown....with about 800 people in the office but often at client sites and travel nationally.

We were originally targeting reopening offices in September, until about a month ago when everything started spiking again.

There is no timeline for returning to office, we are remote and no travel indefinitely. Realistically they are saying Jan 2021 earliest at this point, if the data says its safe to do so. No one is even going to think about coming back until schools go to in-person learning on a daily basis.

I hate 2020.

I haven't been downtown since March. This is so bizzarre.

I have been back in the office for about a month. Usually it's just two of us without staff. Downtown is pretty much deserted. Later in the afternoon there are a lot of teenagers riding scooters around downtown. In the morning when I come in there are scooters scattered all over downtown, many lying on their side out of power.

There is a lot of trash [[paper, bottle, broken glass, etc.) on the side of the streets just outside of the CBD. It's really disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I have been back in the office for about a month. Usually it's just two of us without staff. Downtown is pretty much deserted. Later in the afternoon there are a lot of teenagers riding scooters around downtown. In the morning when I come in there are scooters scattered all over downtown, many lying on their side out of power.

There is a lot of trash [[paper, bottle, broken glass, etc.) on the side of the streets just outside of the CBD. It's really disgusting.
    Downtown is ridiculous after dark lately. High unemployment combined with good weather cause a lot of people to come down to hang out. They park their cars in parking lots that are no longer charging, drink and play music. Fri-Sat-Sun are the worst. So much engine revving and music.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    Downtown is ridiculous after dark lately. High unemployment combined with good weather cause a lot of people to come down to hang out. They park their cars in parking lots that are no longer charging, drink and play music. Fri-Sat-Sun are the worst. So much engine revving and music.
    Wait, so having people downtown on the weekends is a bad things now?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Wait, so having people downtown on the weekends is a bad things now?
    Given the details in their post, my hunch is they have an issue with the type of people that are downtown on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Given the details in their post, my hunch is they have an issue with the type of people that are downtown on weekends.
    How many race cards come in a deck?

Can a comment be made without some sort of inference?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    How many race cards come in a deck?
    I didn't say anything about race.

Blue Cross isn't bringing most of its employees back downtown until January now

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post
    Blue Cross isn't bringing most of its employees back downtown until January now
    Yeah... my nephew works in the Ally Tower [[former Comerica Bank Tower)... and it appears to be the same with him...