Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Brodhead Armory Redevelopment

Plans being presented to the Historic District Commission to redevelop the armory into a new operational headquarters for The Parade Company.

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...mission%29.pdf

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 3317
Size:  73.0 KB
    Last edited by JonWylie; August-03-20 at 10:29 AM.

I f*cking hate scrappers...

In October 2003 the flag was taken down and the keys were turned over to the City. That Thanksgiving weekend a hard freeze burst water pipes in the building. The building instantly went from a perfectly maintained building into a water-soaked disaster.Scrappers, vandals and graffiti ‘artists’have added to the rapid and irreversible deterioration of some of the City’s best depression-era treasures.

Between 2005 and 2013 scrappers entered the building and removed essential structural members of the southern trusses in the north block.Following a major snow fall in 2014, the weight of the snow caused several of the compromised trusses to fail and the roof collapsed. The structure is a safety hazard.

On the west facade scrappers removed the metal panels of an historic plaque honoring Edwin Denby, a sailor, soldier, member of Congress and Secretary of the Navy. The scar left with the removal of the bas relief casting diminishes the appearance of the building.
    This looks to be a great project that preserves and repairs the high-bay portion. I see concerns with the 'scale' of the addition as it mostly infills the entirety of the building lot. There doesn't appear to be any attempt to capture/retain storm water on site, and I imagine DWSD may take issue with that. Happy to see the riverfront activated with a plaza and pier. Hope that can come to fruition and that the murals can be saved.
    Last edited by hybridy; August-03-20 at 02:09 PM.

Wow! This undertaking is huge, for sure, but sounds like the end result can and will be a triumph, both in saving the building [[and hopefully the murals and other artful details) and in adding to the Riverfront and to the neighborhood.

The Parade Company's Plans for this beautiful building are phenomenal and are exactly what the riverfront and the city needs.

From the application:

"The Parade Company envisions expanding our family oriented offerings. We are planning for an increase in tours,particularly elementary and middle school tours; educational workshops and internships; corporate events; family and community celebrations such as weddings, graduation parties and bar mitzvahs."

"Given the Brodhead’s military heritage, the Parade Company is in conversations with local veteran organizations to collaborate on Memorial Day celebrations and gatherings."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Wow! This undertaking is huge, for sure, but sounds like the end result can and will be a triumph, both in saving the building [[and hopefully the murals and other artful details) and in adding to the Riverfront and to the neighborhood.
    The murals, carved wood veneer, and original parquet floor might be irreversibly damaged. So infuriating. See photos on page 22 of the linked document.

This is an outstanding opportunity for reuse of a historic building. While I think the best features are likely gone to history, it would be great to see the building avoid demolition.

The Parade Company does not get enough credit for their cultural contributions to Detroit. We think of them as having a two day a year impact [[fireworks day and parade day) but really their impact goes well beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The murals, carved wood veneer, and original parquet floor might be irreversibly damaged. So infuriating. See photos on page 22 of the linked document.
    Page 29 has this additional information. Sounds like a lot of the salvageable historic elements will be re-used elsewhere, and not in the armory building/addition....

----------------
    This proposal seeks to retain historic elements of the South Block through:

» Educational exhibits and displays through the rehabilitated and new structure

» Redeployment of historic elements to City of Detroit facilities as well as Detroit area museums, schools, and community organizations for display and use in their facilities

» Salvage through commercial historic restoration venues
    --------------------

And on page 30 there is this info....

"The Parade Company has included a substantial allowance for Interior Historic Restoration in the construction budget solely for safely removing and relocating historic elements in the South Block."

I know that they may be lost, but if something is salvageable, maybe a nice retrospective permanent display piece, sharing the history of the building and what it once looked like, would honor both the people and the purpose.

Last week, the Detroit Historic Commission had their monthly meeting [[virtual). The Parade Company's proposal to redevelop the building was discussed. Several organizations/interested parties came out in opposition to the Parade Co's plan to demolish the southern portion of the building.

The Brodhead Armory is one of the few buildings in Detroit in which it's INTERIOR is on the National Register.

The south portion that is proposed to be demolished contains the lion's share of the murals, wood carvings, and other significant WPA-era interior features that distinguish this building. Below are some
    comments from organizations/concerned citizens:

Brodhead Army Preservation Society

Detroit Area Art Deco Society -

Dan Austin, author of books on Detroit’s architectural history

Francis Grunow, preservationist/activist

Mark Hacala, retired Navy Officer

Having been throughout the building back in the day, I have to agree with some of these assessments. Putting those murals into schools and other locations makes no sense to me... they are all naval related, and really belong together. If someone were to say they are saving the south block, and gutting the interior of the north block, I would have no problem with that.

I doubt that schools or other businesses would welcome those murals... those sailors remind me of the Village People... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last week, the Detroit Historic Commission had their monthly meeting [[virtual). The Parade Company's proposal to redevelop the building was discussed. Several organizations/interested parties came out in opposition to the Parade Co's plan to demolish the southern portion of the building.

The Brodhead Armory is one of the few buildings in Detroit in which it's INTERIOR is on the National Register.

The south portion that is proposed to be demolished contains the lion's share of the murals, wood carvings, and other significant WPA-era interior features that distinguish this building. Below are some

This is from the Art Deco Society's comments. So the art work is being preserved? This just comes off as needless nitpicking.

"Removal of the plaster Works ProgressAdministration [[Treasury Section) murals to another location is wrong-headed. We areopposed to this plan to move the plaster work and frescoes
    The frescoes weredesigned for the Brodhead Armory and not for another location, or a museum"
    Last edited by MSUguy; August-22-20 at 11:50 AM.

As a former resident of a river front apartment at River Terrace next door to the Armory, I can't imagine any person living there [[or Sherborn management) wanting their view of the Belle Isle bridge blocked by the ugly industrial type addition proposed.

Some views of the south block and artwork....

https://www.nailhed.com/2014/01/brod...al-armory.html

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    As a former resident of a river front apartment at River Terrace next door to the Armory, I can't imagine any person living there [[or Sherborn management) wanting their view of the Belle Isle bridge blocked by the ugly industrial type addition proposed.
    Well, fortunately or unfortunately, they don't really get to decide if this project happens.

Where were all of those people for all of the years [[after it was placed on the National Register in 1994) that the building was left unheated, unmaintained, open to trespass and weather, and had of much of its art and detailing stripped, smashed, stolen, and sold? A number of folks around here begged the city to do something to stop it, or at least to seal the building up, and were met with complete indifference. Now that someone wants to do something with this ripped up and partially collapsed hulk, these folks object? That's pretty damn rich.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Where were all of those people for all of the years [[after it was placed on the National Register in 1994) that the building was left unheated, unmaintained, open to trespass and weather, and had of much of its art and detailing stripped, smashed, stolen, and sold? A number of folks around here begged the city to do something to stop it, or at least to seal the building up, and were met with complete indifference. Now that someone wants to do something with this ripped up and partially collapsed hulk, these folks object? That's pretty damn rich.
    Ummmm just because YOU didn't hear about this in the news doesn't mean people weren't behind the scenes trying their hardest to save the building and artwork.

The DAADS [[Detroit Area Art Deco Society), especially its' former head Rebecca Binno Savage [[former DDP employee) has spent years trying to drum up support to save the Broadhead, especially its' art treasures.

http://www.detroiturbex.com/content/...ead/index.html

https://www.secondwavemedia.com/metr...avage0151.aspx

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...t-site-by-site

http://www.daads.org/preservation/threatened01_show.htm

Other people have tried as well... but unfortunately we have an unresponsive city government that is little better than the Ilitches at securing buildings.

So maybe you should save your disdain for city government...
    Last edited by Gistok; August-24-20 at 11:16 AM.

The association's plan is super ambitious. I like it better than the Parade's Co.'s proposal:

When restored, according to the association, the Brodhead Armory will serve as a Veteran’s Resource Center for active duty, reserve, National Guard, and retired military personnel and their family members. It will host after-school programming for youth and young adults with an emphasis on education/tutoring, mentoring, and sports-related activities; and it will serve as a business and training incubator, providing numerous workforce development opportunities for transitioning veterans, returning citizens and other residents of Detroit.

“The Brodhead Association is especially driven to establish STEM programs for K-12 students, host Detroit area JROTC training/events, and a skilled trades initiative, specializing in high-tech training for careers in space technology, renewable energy, cyber, government contracting, and commercial drone operations,” says Semerad. “We see this as an incubator reminiscent of TechTown, where people can find support for training in future careers in myriad highly sought fields.”

Additional highlights of The Brodhead Association’s plan for the iconic military facility are a Veterans Memorial Plaza for ceremonies and events, a restaurant, a gift shop, a beer and wine garden, a museum, library, banquet center, office space for veteran/military/corporate organizations, and a multistory residential tower with a mix of market rate units for rent and for sale, with a portion of the units offered to veterans utilizing the HUD-VASH program, and/or other related veteran housing initiatives.

Do they have financing? Could they actually get this done?

One of the things I didn't like about the Parade Company's proposal [[besides destroying the part of the building with all the murals and artwork) was that they were going to build all the way down to the Riverwalk. I was in the armory 20 years ago [[before all the trees were overgrown) and the views of the river and Belle Isle were stunning from the inside of the 3 story south wing of the complex.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3481.../data=!3m1!1e3

I would also prefer the Parade Company look elsewhere. Isn't there a rivertown factory building [[sort of like the Globe Building) that has high indoor spaces that they could convert?

Of course... I don't want to see the Brodhead Armory sitting there rotting for another 20 years, so any other plans for it, I hope would come to fruition.

I'm skeptical of this new plan. Why'd they wait until there was a solid announcement in order for them to arrange their own plans? I understand they want to keep it as intact as possible, but if this announcement is specifically being made so they can try to achieve that goal it seems odd. I'd rather the Parade Co stick to their plan and get it done than potentially waiting years and years for this new plan to come to fruition or ending up with no plans at all and the building continue to rot.

In a perfect world this new plan could occur and the Parade Co could build new or renovate an older structure. Kill two birds with one stone. But I honestly feel this new plan is too good to be true and its only being announced as such in order to steer attention away from the Parade Co plans so they can save a few murals. Where was this group the past decade + while the building was rotting? Why wait until now for this announcement?

However the new plan does sound much better. If it could actually be fulfilled, I'd be all for it. It just seems too "pie in the sky".
    Last edited by NSortzi; October-06-20 at 07:38 PM.

So here is my issue with plans based around "veterans resources'...nobody uses them. I am a veteran who is fairly active in the local veterans scene both in the city and in the larger region.

There is definitely a gap between the older vets [[Vietnam era) and the younger ones [[Iraq/Afghanistan). It's really hard to get any of the younger ones involved with anything having to do with their time in service, even in the case of general outreach.

As opposed to serving the 1% that serve [[let's be generous and say 3% with the other groups listed, I actually prefer the Parade Co idea which would serve a larger audience.

There are a million buildings available for outreach services, and honestly those are better suited for locations in real neighborhoods where they are closer to the people.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it got me thinking about this deal. The news coverage was constant when the sale was happening, and ever since there's been silence. Anyone know what's going on with this?