Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 7-11 to buy Marathon's Speedway gas stations for $21B

Just saw in several sources that 7-11 is buying Speedway, Marathon's retail gas operations. This comes not long after Marathon acquired Hess' retail operations and rebranded them as Speedways. It has been strange to see Speedways in Florida, for example.

I guess this may spell the end of the Speedway brand, or not - at least Slurpees will be available at more locations in the area!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...&sref=gDaD7tru

Hopefully, with Marathon now having less of a market share on gas in Michigan, it will mean less gouging.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-02-20 at 09:19 PM.

Are they buying all of Marathon's retail operations or just Speedway?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Hopefully, with Marathon now having less of a market share on gas in Michigan, it will mean less gouging.
    Unfortunately, we might see the opposite. I've found Speedway stations to be one of the least expensive fuel options. Plus their in store convenience items aren't always insanely priced like 7/11 where a 20oz Pepsi will cost you close close to $2. Judging by the complaints I've heard from the independent station owner where I live, price competition from Speedway was really hurting their bottom line.

I guess I can't complain too much. Thanks to Covid19 the last time I put gas in my car was mid April.

Same here in the south with speedway being the cheaper route,Racetrack put a damper on them.

It seem like every 10 years or so there is a major shakeup in the station branding.

7-11 is not a refinery so I wonder if they are going to carry marathons fuel,they were Citco until the 80s 90s boycott,but now that they sell franchises it is a mix of Shell or chevron.

Wa-Wa is the one that came in massive in the south and are now starting stand alone fast food restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Are they buying all of Marathon's retail operations or just Speedway?
    My guess is that "Marathon" gas stations are independently owned & operated; they just sell Marathon products and display the name.

Let's not forget the time that 7-Eleven dropped Citgo around 2007 or so due to controversy regarding Citgo and the Venezuelan government. Despite that, however, Citgo stations are still just as common in Michigan as Marathon stations.

Giving meaning to the old saying....

Eat here and get gas.

Interesting to see how this plays out... the major intersection near me in SCS [[11 Mile & Little Mack) has a Speedway that has a store as part of the building, and on the opposite corner there is a 7-Eleven [[with liquor license). I imagine that nothing will change since the 7-Eleven is franchise owned.

Hope the coffee gets better. Speedway's coffee is atrocious, I like 7-11's much better.