Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit and Cass Corridor Legend Joel Landy Passes

One hardly knows where to begin with Joel, one of the most colorful, crusty and brilliant characters who I have been honored to have as a friend. I called him the hippy real estate tycoon. Joel was no suburban absentee landlord investor having lived in his rambling 19th C mansion house on Charlotte since the 1970’s. From there would he slowly accumulated ownership of properties on the two blocks bounded by Cass, Woodward and Peterboro, where he own around 90% of them, as well as others beyond.

Scott Mansion Autumn 2009
    Name:  Scott-Mansion-Autumn-2009.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  79.7 KB

Scott Mansion Summer 2019
    Name:  Scott-Mansion-Summer-2019.jpg
Views: 2122
Size:  95.9 KB

Everybody thought he was nuts for even living in that drug-infested, crime-ridden jungle, let alone acquiring those decrepit properties but, with a foreign car repair service as a shaky cash source, he somehow managed to hold onto the properties, scratch out loans, pay the taxes, hold off the inspectors and hone his developer skills. Acquisitions of some of his holdings, such as one on the Veteran’s Hospital site and elsewhere, provided him some cash bonanzas, that allowed him to break through starting with the development of the Addison Building at Charlotte and Woodward.

From there he became a juggernaut developing the former Thomas Jefferson school at Selden and Lodge, a property he obtained for a dollar, and eventually gained a multi-million dollar long-term lease as a charter school. He restored and developed all the properties he owned on his two blocks, most famously the Scott Mansion—that nobody ever thought possible. [Scott Mansion Restoration Thread Here]

I can’t keep track of his scattered real estate empire, nor the order in which he developed them, but I do know that he remained the same hard working, hands-on, down-to-earth guy he always was. When I last shook his hand, it was still the same rough calloused hand I had always shaken, on the same wiry body cloaked in dusty worn Carhart denim jacket, topped with an exploding curly mop of hair [he could have been mistaken for Bob Dylan] and the same acidic-humor and no-nonsense practicality.
    Name:  Joel-Landy.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  74.3 KB

He had grown rich, but you would never know it, and was enthusiastic about his latest passion, the collection of vintage autos that had grown to over fifty with many stunning pieces. He had begun winding down his real estate efforts and was recovering from one of the many ailments he was plagued with throughout his life. When he was hospitalized this time, we all thought, ‘Here we go again, but we know he’ll pull through like he always has’. This time was a bridge too far.

Farewell Joel and thank for saving so many Detroit historical structures.

I had met him a couple of times. Once he took me on a tour of a building he had restored and turned into apartments. It was down the block from Avalon. Very impressive. Another time I was in Fred's and Sarge and I were getting into it. He kept walking around the store, picking his stuff out, taking both sides of the heated discussion with sarcastic comments until we were both cracking up. I also got chance to visit the Scott Mansion while it was under restoration. He did a lot for the area. Buying, preserving, and restoring buildings while others were fleeing or tearing them down. Quite the character. He'll be missed.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-03-20 at 04:56 AM.

Fred's key shop? They are a hoot. Great guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ...Another time I was in Fred's and Sarge and I were getting into it. He kept walking around the store, picking his stuff out, taking both sides of the heated discussion with sarcastic comments until we were both cracking up.

Funny how this small developer was able to do so much good and renovate buildings that were left for dead and on the brink of disappearing. But literal billionaires with near unlimited resources like the Ilitch family were just somehow unable to do the same and used every excuse in the book to demolish what they owned. Hmmmmm interesting.

Detroit just won't be the same without Joel. He was always good to me and I always admired him for his hard work and what he was able to accomplish. This is very sad.

Does anyone know if there will be a memorial service for him?

Quote Originally Posted by JStone View Post
    Detroit just won't be the same without Joel. He was always good to me and I always admired him for his hard work and what he was able to accomplish. This is very sad.

Does anyone know if there will be a memorial service for him?
    Once the pandemic is behind us [hopefully] there will be some kind of memorial according to his partner Linda. Not likely until next warm season.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Funny how this small developer was able to do so much good and renovate buildings that were left for dead and on the brink of disappearing. But literal billionaires with near unlimited resources like the Ilitch family were just somehow unable to do the same and used every excuse in the book to demolish what they owned. Hmmmmm interesting.
    Have to completely agree... the Ilitches have destroy commercial buildings they owned that were in far better shape than the Scott Mansion that was wonderfully restored.

Joel was quite the character, kind of a shadowy guy. He lived in Oak Park around the corner from me when he was a kid, and was a hidden Jew. He could have thrown a softball to Geoff Fieger’s house from his house. Not long ago I noted his car repair facility on Cass Ave. and I thought I was dreaming….somehow I knew he had that business but I never noticed that place, very cool also. He did so much! Quietly!

I am so sorry we did not get an interview with him for our Movie about the Friends of Woodward in the 19902. I saw Joel in the lobby of the Fisher Bldg. when I went to see “Hamilton” with Danny Grinnell [[our movie maker) and his mom last year. Joel was pushing his lady in a wheelchair, she looking much more ill than he. It was clear Joel was not doing very well himself. I think Joel was about 69 years old [[a few years younger than I).

I went to his really cool Thanksgiving Parade Day parties a couple times, quite an event, right there on Charlotte Street a few lots from the Addison. May he rest in Peace.

I was always amazed at those who were able to make things work financially in the Corridor, while most either went broke or died…..We gave Joel a Woody Award, he deserved and deserves so much more credit and accolades. YAH JOEL! You did a GREAT job

Welcome to the forum StevieWandersDetroit... it's anecdotes like yours that makes this forum a treasure trove of information about our great metropolis...

How fitting that Joel and John Thompson both pass around the same time. The Detroit that they occupied is certainly passing as well.

It looks like they are selling off Landy's empire.
    Name:  landyShrunk.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  167.1 KB

I've seen several of these signs around Mid-town.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ndavies; June-08-22 at 11:24 AM.

Very nice!

Regarding the repair shop, Joel had a few of those. That one he sold quite a while ago but he still owned the building, as he did 90% off those between Cass and Woodward and Charlotte and Peterboro. When his “Landyland” holdings became hot and he made his millions he used the repair shop to house his extensive vintage automobile collection.

The woman in the wheelchair was his wife Linda, a wonderful woman with a disability.

Joel was a one of a kind gem. Eccentric, bold, generous and stingy, kind and fierce, funny and crazy, pot-smoking and totally sane all at once. I felt honored to be at his graveside and in Jewish tradition shovel a scoop of earth into his resting place.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWandersDetroit View Post
    Joel was quite the character, kind of a shadowy guy. He lived in Oak Park around the corner from me when he was a kid, and was a hidden Jew. He could have thrown a softball to Geoff Fieger’s house from his house. Not long ago I noted his car repair facility on Cass Ave. and I thought I was dreaming….somehow I knew he had that business but I never noticed that place, very cool also. He did so much! Quietly!

I am so sorry we did not get an interview with him for our Movie about the Friends of Woodward in the 19902. I saw Joel in the lobby of the Fisher Bldg. when I went to see “Hamilton” with Danny Grinnell [[our movie maker) and his mom last year. Joel was pushing his lady in a wheelchair, she looking much more ill than he. It was clear Joel was not doing very well himself. I think Joel was about 69 years old [[a few years younger than I).

I went to his really cool Thanksgiving Parade Day parties a couple times, quite an event, right there on Charlotte Street a few lots from the Addison. May he rest in Peace.

I was always amazed at those who were able to make things work financially in the Corridor, while most either went broke or died…..We gave Joel a Woody Award, he deserved and deserves so much more credit and accolades. YAH JOEL! You did a GREAT job

Today's Free Press has an interesting followup by JC Reindl on Joel's chaotic estate with its mix of real estate and collectibles, as well as its value, which we all wondered about, the cars in his car collection, and how it is to be dispensed.

By the time of his death in August 2020 at age 68, Landy was a major property owner and redeveloper in the corridor - now better known as Midtown - and his portfolio had grown to encompass several blocks of houses, storefronts and apartment buildings, as well as former schools and vacant lots.

The total value could approach $50 million.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...7f61a4_134855a

As you will read the money will go into a foundation of his name and be dispensed for automotive education and historic preservation.

Name:  joel-landy.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  67.3 KB

I somehow missed this thread until now. This guy deserves a permanent tribute, maybe a plaque in Cass Park or one of his cars could be in the Detroit Historical Museum with a story about him.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing...

I somehow missed this thread until now. This guy deserves a permanent tribute, maybe a plaque in Cass Park or one of his cars could be in the Detroit Historical Museum with a story about him.

^ Agree on the tribute to Landy in Midtown... what an interesting guy! I hope that since the 43 properties in Midtown, which are being bundled to being sold together, are not going to be purchased by the Ilitches!! Maybe Gilbert is interested?

Found a You Tube video about him:

https://youtu.be/KZvGc2vtMmA

The latest news on Joel's properties...

Probate judge OKs sale of Joel Landy properties in Detroit

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...s/69862815007/