Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Pistons Acquire New G League Team-- Will Play in New WSU Arena

The Pistons are now all in on Detroit. They have just acquired a new G League team [the equivalent of a baseball AAA team like Toledo] that will replace the Grand Rapids Drive, bringing that action to Detroit just a short distance from their new practice facility in New Center.
    It's been more than a year since the Pistons announced its partnership with Wayne State to bring a G League team to Detroit.

On May 1, 2019, the two sides inked a $25 million deal to construct the arena, which will house a G League team and Wayne State's basketball operations, on the corner of Warren and Trumbull. The team will start play in the 2021-22 season.
    https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...2c1815_1343786

Many teams like to have their G team closer to home for the advantages of keeping a close eye on the players, same day call-ups, etc. but having them a mile away won't be cost effective. Teams usually are in a suburban location where they can develop a separate identity, fan base and hence revenues. The Pistons are currently drawing squat and tickets are cheap. Gores invested in the Wayne State arena but I wonder if he will get the tax write-off if his team is located there? I guess if Wayne State owns it he probably will. Say what you want about Gore's poor hiring of management and coaches but he has invested a lot in the city with little to show for it thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Say what you want about Gore's poor hiring of management and coaches but he has invested a lot in the city with little to show for it thus far.
    I think almost everything he's done post-VanGundy has been very smart. Stefanski and Arn Tellum were fantastic hires, along with Casey and now the new GM Troy Weaver. I know Gores has a bad reputation, but he seems to have learned a little since his early days as owner.

we'll see what happens. I hope that eventually whenever things are safe health-wise, that the team can build a local following.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Many teams like to have their G team closer to home for the advantages of keeping a close eye on the players, same day call-ups, etc. but having them a mile away won't be cost effective. Teams usually are in a suburban location where they can develop a separate identity, fan base and hence revenues. The Pistons are currently drawing squat and tickets are cheap. Gores invested in the Wayne State arena but I wonder if he will get the tax write-off if his team is located there? I guess if Wayne State owns it he probably will. Say what you want about Gore's poor hiring of management and coaches but he has invested a lot in the city with little to show for it thus far.
    It would have been nice if they could have relocated the D-League team to Flint or even Windsor [[in a renovated Windsor Arena).

The D-League team could build their own fan base in their own city, but still be close enough to the Pistons if the team needed to borrow a player or two on short notice.
    Last edited by masterblaster; August-05-20 at 11:36 PM.

This is spin off development in the WSU District. New arena for the G League team and WSU hoops. Part of the plan. Flint is too far for a G League team [[relocating from Grand Rapids because of distance). Windsor is not an option due to COVID. Accept it and move on. I'm guessing most will enjoy the D League team vs the existing NBA club who wasn't even invited to the NBA tournament.