Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ferndale, Detroit to host meeting about concerns over 8 Mile & Woodward underpass

Ferndale, Detroit to host meeting addressing concerns over Woodward and 8 Mile intersection

DETROIT [[WXYZ) — People living nearby the intersection of Woodward and 8 Mile tell 7 Action News it has been a spot for the homeless and littering for quite some time now. “It hasn’t just started it’s been that way for years,” said Maria Dickerson, a resident. Dickerson has lived in the Green Acres neighborhood for the last 29 years, and is the president of the local homeowners association.

She says over the years she has fielded questions and concerns from neighbors about the intersection. “Our neighbors should be able to walk across the street to go to Meijer or any other stores in that gateway plaza, without fear, their kids should be able to walk through there without seeing any type of drug paraphernalia on the ground,” said Dickerson. For the first time, the cities of Ferndale and Detroit are teaming up to host a Zoom meeting to address some of those concerns. Part of the meeting will present ideas on how to improve the intersection. “

So the approach to beautifying the intersection is really adding more lighting and making it feel more comfortable to go through the intersection,” said Mayor of Ferndale Melanie Piana. There is still not word yet on when any type of construction of the intersection would take place. There are also plans for both cities to get together to provide help for the homeless, providing social services for those in need. “Art and lightening would be great, people want to be safe walking to the store making sure that they are safe community and that is important, but we also need to make sure that we are taking care of the homeless people that need a place to live,” said Keith Ferguson who lives in the Green Acres neighborhood.

Source: https://www.wxyz.com/getting-around-...e-intersection

Art and lightning is the best they can come up with. What a joke. How about redesign it entirely? Make it more pedestrian friendly and plant some trees. Nobody cares about art on the side of a busy road.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Art and lightning is the best they can come up with. What a joke. How about redesign it entirely? Make it more pedestrian friendly and plant some trees. Nobody cares about art on the side of a busy road.
    You know what would be great and is also art? Some beautiful architecture. I'm sick of shitty murals painted by children

How about some overhead speakers playing Barry Manilow or the Spice Girls 24/7/365?

It just needs to be cleared out, first and foremost.

I drive in the area often and can't imaging setting an foot down to walk past or thru that. I do think better lighting would be useful though.

They just have to decide to.

I often see the police stopping and chatting with the panhandlers,.. but never removing them.

It looks terrible under that overpass.

We don't want to become like D.C. or Seattle.

^^ I'm sure you'd rather they just shoot'em and toss'em in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It just needs to be cleared out, first and foremost.

I drive in the area often and can't imaging setting an foot down to walk past or thru that. I do think better lighting would be useful though.

I drove by that corner about 4 weeks ago and I can't believe how things have escalated. It looks like they've settled in for the long haul. Years ago you'd see one or two guys sitting on those corners panhandling with signs. It now looks like a small homeless encampment. Some high powered lighting under the vydock might do the trick, or else it would encourage more settlement. I agree, I'd be uncomfortable walking through there during the day let alone at night.

That intersection will need to be completely redesigned to be walkable

Well we can always bring up the extremes [[tossing someone in the river etc) so as to do nothing. And we don't a full-out set like parts of downtown Atlanta and San Fran. I wouldn't walk thru that as it is now.

As it stands now it's escalating; a mean-life as they're robbed, beaten, exposed to elements, and often very sick. It can't be sanitary on ANY LEVEL. Especially in light of C-19. For those who mentally ill they need medical intervention. And temporary lost-cost housing for those who can maintain a household. I wonder what NSO [[Neighborhood Service Org) is doing with that property purchased a few years ago on Oakman Blvd [[the Yellow Page building).

It was to be low-cost/ temporary shelter/ housing?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-01-20 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ I'm sure you'd rather they just shoot'em and toss'em in the river.

First off, I don't recall anyone suggesting murder and disposal. Secondly, people live in that area, have homes, families, kids, etc., and don't appreciate the encampment in their neighborhood. They have a right to a nice, safe, walkable neighborhood too. If you feel that strongly about it, pick them up and invite them to setup in your neighborhood. Maybe in your yard? I'm sure they'd appreciate the offer and not take advantage of your situation. Be proactive.

I wonder what NSO [[Neighborhood Service Org) is doing with that property purchased a few years ago on Oakman Blvd [[the Yellow Page building).

It was to be low-cost/ temporary shelter/ housing?
    Fully occupied by persons who were formally homeless, with a waiting list.

Good organization, worthy of our support.

https://www.nso-mi.org/nso-bell-building.html

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    It actually is a walkable underpass, its just the homeless problem has escalated and it now looks undesirable to even walk pass. Planting trees and shrubs will look nice for the first year or two at the intersection but who will be responsible for the upkeep. The state of Michigan barley maintains cutting the high grass in the middle islands of both 8 Mile and M-1. Compared to the underpasses at 8 & 75, or Telegraph & 96 [[where homelessness isn't a factor), the 8 & Woodward intersection is getting out of hand.
    Last edited by Sehv313; August-20-20 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I drove by that corner about 4 weeks ago and I can't believe how things have escalated. It looks like they've settled in for the long haul.
    I drove by today and seen at least 5 people and more boxes and trash. Not even a year ago I would only see 2 people at the most and they would sweep the area and keep it clean. I agree that the area needs to be cleared for good but these people need help.

2018 WDIV News Report:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUb56GDRas4

Someone posted a ride through from yesterday [[excuse the music)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAP213z_Tmo

I visited Google street view to try and remember back when this first started to become problematic. In 2009-2011 there was no homeless in sight. It seems as if the homeless started to gather there around summer of 2012 [[during the construction of the new Meijer and shopping center)

Street View Link
    Last edited by Sehv313; August-20-20 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Power's out!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    Power's out!
    I cannot recall a time where it was ever on now that you mention it.

Default .

Homeless folks had no place to go but sleeping under the freeway overpasses. Of course the Woodward 8 Mile Bridge is now home sweet home for the poor, but It's up the city and M-DOT to make that call to evict them out. Folks who are living the Green Acres Sub. division and Ferndale will has to deal their squatting. At least help them out with food and clothes. There was a white homeless man with a dog holding a sign that he needed a job. He wants to leave the poor life and comeback to help society. Can someone help him or leave him be. Of course you will not know that homeless folks are vagrant or nice, but take that risk. If you're going to help homeless folks even during COVID-19 Pandemic just stand 6 feet away and help them out the best you can.

Homeless folks had no place to go but sleeping under the freeway overpasses. Of course the Woodward 8 Mile Bridge is now home sweet home for the poor, but It's up the city and M-DOT to make that call to evict them out. Folks who are living the Green Acres Sub. division and Ferndale will has to deal their squatting. At least help them out with food and clothes. There was a white homeless man with a dog holding a sign that he needed a job. He wants to leave the poor life and comeback to help society. Can someone help him or leave him be. Of course you will not know that homeless folks are vagrant or nice, but take that risk. If you're going to help homeless folks even during COVID-19 Pandemic just stand 6 feet away and help them out the best you can.

Danny! Come back and put a Subject Head to your post [[under advanced edit). This subject is worthy of more than a ' . ' ! Come back now or I am going to have to put you in time-out! ........

Danny! Come back and put a Subject Head to your post [[under advanced edit). This subject is worthy of more than a ' . ' ! Come back now or I am going to have to put you in time-out! ........

There's a symbol there. It's titled "the subject formally known as..."

Period!

The comment has been merged to original post. Thanks.

The comment has been merged to original post. Thanks.
    What is the original post?

It's all here now. My post re. the move was merged here as well.

Update: Last weekend I drove by the underpass heading to Meijer and noticed that for the most part it's cleared out. Probably owing to the bitter cold weather. There was only a bit of trash remaining.

Interesting heading south on Woodward I noted, full-view an 'open' standing garage door of one of those newer connected homes just north of Woodstock [[backed to east-bound Eight mile) stuffed chocked-full of old shopping carts, blankets, stuffs, plastic bags, chairs and what not from what was originally UNDER the Eight mile over-pass! I drove back around to verify and it's the third unit garage! The others pulled down closed/ secured. I saw no persons -- perhaps that unit is empty and broken into? In any event the adjacent owners/ renters are not going to allow this, or are allowing it?

Years ago we had an retched old van and at one point a homeless man took to sleeping in it. We had to stop it as he was making it unusable. But it was so sad, especially as winter was soon coming.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-03-21 at 08:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast