Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Storied Detroit bar owner 'Honest' John Thompson has died

Loved the food and atmosphere of both of his bars the first one by Belle Isle [[no food just pretzel sticks)and the one on Seldon but before he sold it the guy was either bipolar or very moody he would be talking to someone one minute and throwing them out the next minute. To the kids in the burbs he was great but to the people that lived in the area around his bar he had thrown out most of the locals before he sold Honest John's happened to me I stopped in sober had a died coke and a burger and got thrown out after I finished my burger for no reason.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/li...ed/5536788002/
    Last edited by ddaydetroit; July-29-20 at 03:31 PM.

I only learned of HJ's bar in the last five years. Had a couple of nice breakfast sessions there. Yummy!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-30-20 at 09:01 PM.

Aw man, that's too bad.

I used to go into the old location by Belle Isle years ago. Didn't know him much.

I know John did A TON of fund-raising for the community back then. They would do a moon-shot postcard once a year where they'd set up a grandstand in front of the bar, and dozens of customers would moon the camera. They raised money with that and lots of other things. I think they did a Polar Bear swim where they jumped in a hole in the ics in Winter on Belle Isle too.

For sure he was a bit of an odd duck.

I think I still have one of the barf bags they used to have on the bar, custom printed with "Honest John's Bar & No Grill Inc." on it.
    Last edited by Bigdd; July-29-20 at 11:19 PM.

^ Where was it located [[the original)? Jefferson Ave? Seems I sorta recall it.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    Loved the food and atmosphere of both of his bars the first one by Belle Isle [[no food just pretzel sticks)and the one on Seldon but before he sold it the guy was either bipolar or very moody he would be talking to someone one minute and throwing them out the next minute. To the kids in the burbs he was great but to the people that lived in the area around his bar he had thrown out most of the locals before he sold Honest John's happened to me I stopped in sober had a died coke and a burger and got thrown out after I finished my burger for no reason.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/li...ed/5536788002/

Happy to hear your story, here I thought it was just me. Anyway, RIP Honest? John.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Where was it located [[the original)? Jefferson Ave? Seems I sorta recall it.

No, it was just off of East Jefferson, first street East of the Boulevard. [[I don't remember the name right now)

I knew John [Thompson] since the Cass Corridor days of the 1970's and became friendly with him when he was bar tending at Cobb's Corner at Willis and Cass, which was the artists' hang out bar in those days being almost next door to the legendary Willis Gallery co-op.

Yeah, John could be a handful at times and had a volcanic temper, but he made up for it with color, spirit and grit. He was a Cass Corridor street kid with a quirky-funny sense of humor and tough as nails who would go on to buy the bar his prostitute mother used to hook out of [the current Honest? John's location] and make it a Detroit icon and him a Detroit legend.

He was in many ways a classic Horatio Alger hero [Alger being the late 19th C writer of young adult novels about impoverished boys who rise from humble backgrounds to lives of wealth and prosperity through hard work and determination]. After a wandering career, that included selling nails, he started Honest? Johns on Field Street just a block from the Belle Isle entrance at Jefferson and E. Grand Blvd. that featured a Detroit Police arrest file photo of him with the number tag below.

He turned out to be a natural at PR with several attention news-grabbing promotions, many of them community-beneficial, including the above mentioned annual moonshot photo, a New Year's polar bear swim at Belle Isle [yes I did it, brrr], an Easter Bunny rabbit roast benefit banquet, and others that I forget. He also rented kayaks, another ahead-of-his-times move.

His next move, that everybody thought was absolutely crazy was to buy the Selden Street bar, in what was then thought to be the scariest dope-dealing crime-ridden part of the Cass Corridor, and turn it into a huge success that allowed him to live and retire in comfort.

Go well, rest well, John. You did it on your own, earned it, and made us all smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    No, it was just off of East Jefferson, first street East of the Boulevard. [[I don't remember the name right now)
    Field St

He was a loveable bastard. Mouch recalls the old Field Road joint fondly. Small. Dense. Warm. Never thought the new joint could feel the same. Never did. But still better than every other place in town by a mile. Nothing quite makes you feel alive than quaffing a delicious John Courage while the owner wields a barstool. OTOH, John was always gracious to Mouch.

Since we're in need of heroes today, how about a statue of John in the Corridor.

Have missed you at the bar. Detroit will miss you. You've brought a lot of joy to our town. May you find peace.

Excellent tribute Lowell.

He had all the vibrancy you wanted in a local bar and grill owner. Never thought of him as PR leader, but he was. Great establishment, I probably ate about 40 poor Richard omelets in my day there. Always loved the 40oz option as well. The jukebox is excellent and HJs just had a good warmth to the establishment.
    My one interaction with him was while my buddy and I ate breakfast. He started ribbing me good, and turned on a switch to f with me for no real reason. I found it hilarious because you could tell it was a quirk of his and my friend just laughed along. Had I responded much he would have kicked me out, no doubt about it. RIP

Cool comments Lowell. I'd forgotten about the Belle Isle Polar Bear water events... brrrr Indeed.

Yes, HJ's had good food favs at the Selden spot, including their sandwiches and breakfast items seemed to be the best. Sure beats those 'small plate' gimmikery spots now so much in that area. Though they're all hurting now for sure.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-30-20 at 09:01 PM.

Never met the man at any of our many visits to the Selden St location of Honest John's. Took many an out-of-town visitor there for a meal and a taste of Detroit. He has left a wonderful legacy. Cheers to John Thompson. RIP.

Also, Steven Sowers, who started Motor Lounge in Hamtramck passed today.

John was certainly unique and your tribute was fitting Lowell. A part of Detroit and the Corridors history.