Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Restaurants in downtown midtown Detroit for a visit

Hi all, every year I post this question. Every year I go back to Detroit for a Meet&Greet with fam & friends. We meet at a restaurant that I've RSVP'd....usually Union Street on Woodward or Traffic Jam. I already contacted Union about a 8-12 person gathering and she basically said it was closed. There's no outdoor patio for that many people.
    I haven't contacted TJ, but does anybody know the restaurant CV19 situation? Is it only takeout for most restaurants?
    Planning for August visit.

Traffic Jam is closed currently - they're doing a kitchen renovation I believe I read on their sign.

Most restaurants are take out only unless they have a patio

Why not try Tin Roof, in the former Chelio's location, across from Comerica?
    It's just burgers, wings, tacos but they've got lots of patio space and the Tiger game on the big screen. You can make a reservation for your group.

They'd gone [[TJ's) down over the years a bit... removing some of their faved menu items replaced with blah.

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post
    Traffic Jam is closed currently - they're doing a kitchen renovation I believe I read on their sign....

Some restaurants have taken over entire side streets to provide outdoor seating. Bobcat Bonnie's in Corktown comes to mind. Also in Corktown, the IMA restaurant has significantly expanded its outdoor eating area and Mercury Burger Bar, McShane's Bar, and Brooklyn Street have large patio areas as well.

In Midtown, Shield's Pizza has taken over the front yard of an adjacent 1900's era mini-mansion.

Downtown, The Lumen restaurant in the new pocket park, Beacon Park, has a huge wrap-around outdoor patio overlooking the park and the GAR Building. 401Don's recommendation of Tin Roof is a good one.

In Rivertown, the Rattlesnake Club has a large patio overlooking the Riverwalk. Atwater Brewery, which has a large rooftop patio space, is just down the street. Across the street from the Rattlesnake is the new Riverfront Park, the Robert C. Valade Park [[formerly called Atwater Beach).
    Last edited by masterblaster; July-29-20 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Some restaurants have taken over entire side streets to provide outdoor seating. Bobcat Bonnie's in Corktown comes to mind. Also in Corktown, the IMA restaurant has significantly expanded its outdoor eating area and Mercury Burger Bar, McShane's Bar, and Brooklyn Street have large patio areas as well.

In Midtown, Shield's Pizza has taken over the front yard of an adjacent 1900's era mini-mansion.

Downtown, The Lumen restaurant in the new pocket park, Beacon Park, has a huge wrap-around outdoor patio overlooking the park and the GAR Building. 401Don's recommendation of Tin Roof is a good one.

In Rivertown, the Rattlesnake Club has a large patio overlooking the Riverwalk. Atwater Brewery, which has a large rooftop patio space, is just down the street. Across the street from the Rattlesnake is the new Riverfront Park, the Robert C. Valade Park [[formerly called Atwater Beach).
    Thanks.

In touch with Bobcat's. The menu at Tin Roof not appealing. Any other restaurant reco's in Midtown/Downtown? Thanks.

Since the pandemic doesn't appear to be going away... outdoor eating restaurants are going to be in real trouble starting in October when the weather gets colder...

Honest Johns has taken over the grass lot next to their building. It's very spacious with tons of room for people. I've even seen some people forego tables and eat picnic style on blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    In touch with Bobcat's. The menu at Tin Roof not appealing. Any other restaurant reco's in Midtown/Downtown? Thanks.

Have you tried Green Dot Stables in Corktown? Their patio is now open. I get the Mystery Meat sliders and a kale salad. They have a good beer selection too.

https://www.greendotstables.com/detroit-carryoutmenu

Yowsers! Sounds great. Good prices too. I must check them out!