Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Blake Farms, Armada - Eating crow

Blake Farms was allegedly planning to hold a Lisa McClain for Congress rally that was actually "A Rally Supporting President Donald Trump & Our Police"

Special Guests included:
    Corey Lewandowski
    David Clarke Jr. [[former Milwaukee Sheriff)

However, it now appears Blake is backing down from their decision to host said rally, claiming they were mislead about the scope of the event. They released a statement reiterating that they are an, "inclusive company serving all members of our local communities".

Is this another local business choosing a side?
    Can businesses truly remain neutral in this political climate?
    Will this change your opinion about patronizing this business [[cancelling vs hosting)?
    Are you experiencing 'cancel culture' fatigue?
    Last edited by hybridy; July-27-20 at 08:13 PM.

I am more surprised they didn't do it in that area the front yards are lined with support Trump signs as a matter of fact I have yet to see a Biden sign in that area

I'm in favor of companies choosing not to hold hate rallies.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Me too...

I'm in favor of companies not holding *any* rallies. If you want to get corporate money out of politics, it's a good start.

I am in favor of companies,sports players and actors choosing sides as long as I agree with what side they choose,otherwise I view them as hate organizations.

Corporate money and others need to get out of the business of pandering,it used to be common to remain neutral,now others are forcing businesses to choose sides under threat.
    Last edited by Richard; July-27-20 at 09:49 PM.

This has to move to the Non-Detroit forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    I am more surprised they didn't do it in that area the front yards are lined with support Trump signs as a matter of fact I have yet to see a Biden sign in that area
    I'd say 80+% of the cider mill market is younger, white suburban mom's and their kids. That group probably contains a much higher percentage of potential Biden voters than the surrounding area. That said, it appears as if what Blake's agreed to do and what the event was advertised as may have ended up being two different things.

Overall I tend to agree with Richard on this one. Companies should just stay out of politics in general. Whether it's going out of their way to show support for [[or criticize) President Trump, Joe Biden or even the Black Lives Matter movement. It doesn't matter what cause or candidate they choose to stand behind, by doing so they're automatically alienating many of those that hold an opposing view. If your market is the general population, taking sides is just a bad business decision.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-28-20 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Armada isn't part of SE Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Armada is in Macomb County. And that's Metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am in favor of companies,sports players and actors choosing sides as long as I agree with what side they choose,otherwise I view them as hate organizations.

Corporate money and others need to get out of the business of pandering,it used to be common to remain neutral,now others are forcing businesses to choose sides under threat.
    I have to respect that sort of candor.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    I have to respect that sort of candor.
    I'm pretty sure Richard's post was sarcasm in response to the posts above it.

Eating crow? How does one equate that to this? Or wised the hell up would be more appropo.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I didn't realize a few thousand white kids were showing up carrying BLM signs to torch Armada.

That may have been true before they added a hard cider brewery and a tasting room. Also holds weddings and many other events and a lavender market every year. Not just a cute little spot forr cider and donuts anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I'd say 80+% of the cider mill market is younger, white suburban mom's and their kids. That group probably contains a much higher percentage of potential Biden voters than the surrounding area. That said, it appears as if what Blake's agreed to do and what the event was advertised as may have ended up being two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    That may have been true before they added a hard cider brewery and a tasting room. Also holds weddings and many other events and a lavender market every year. Not just a cute little spot forr cider and donuts anymore.
    Isn't that basically still the same crowd? Younger, generally white, suburban females some with kids and some dragging along their significant others?
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-31-20 at 09:13 AM.

I used to live pretty close to Blakes, and no, it's not the same old crowd; it's become pretty yuppie upscale compared to a few years back.
    Isn't that basically still the same crowd? Younger, generally white, suburban females some with kids and some dragging along their significant others?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Agreed. I would love to see politics removed from the marketplace. However, as long as corporations make political contributions and lobby, businesses will not be "neutral".

On the mom and pop level, the decision to post a campaign sign [[or a BLM sign, for the matter) is an overt political statement on the part of the business owner. They may a First Amendment right to do so, but they are going to have to expect blowback from the public who will make decisions where to spend their money accordingly.

Little surprise here.
    I've never seen so many confederate flags and so often as I would hanging in front of homes along the main roads through Armada.
    Armada is an infamous speed trap besides. Even my mom fell victim.
    Thanks to Blake's for identifying themselves.
    We've been going at least twice a year for decades, and bringing home more than we can share with all our neighbors.
    But we'd rather spend our money where it won't prop Trump's ugly chaos or any politician who'd align with him.
    We don't just vote on election day. We vote with every dollar we spend.
    There's a thread on cider mills already. What are your other favorite places for berry picking?
    Last edited by bust; August-09-20 at 04:47 AM.

^ outside of the inner cities,they have two way streets and those that drive on them seem to have more discretionary income.

Just ask the likes of Dicks,NFL and the others that chose to pander.

Remember when you guys boycotted Chick fillet because of their religious beliefs,and yet they remain one of the strongest out there.

Or the recent Goya debacle,you guys seem to like to punish others for their political beliefs or not bending to your demands,it is pretty clear the majority of the population is adult enough to make their own decisions and not follow a long list of failures.

If any of you took the time to watch the interview with members of the Blake family you would realize that they canceled this event because of family conflict. Blake is a big family and like most big families not all of their political believes are the same.

I'm pretty sure Richard's post was sarcasm in response to the posts above it.
    No, I don't think it was sarcasm.