Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Broderick Tower - Humpback Whale Mural

I've always seen this mural as a staple of the city, not because of the many of years it has been located on the side of 10 Witherell St. but how it stands out apart from everything around it. In a 'sort-of concrete jungle' city like Detroit, this huge bright blue attraction of 'jumping humpback wales' almost seemed illuminated when I entered Downtown last week for the first time since our Pre-Covid 19 days. Now I ask, not about the history of the 1997 Humpback Wale mural but why out of all animals did the artist[[s) choose jumping humpback whales for this mural instead of something more agressive like tigers, lions, bears, etc.? Does anybody know?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sehv313; July-27-20 at 01:03 AM.

Because whale murals were his thing. According to the Wikipedia article they were done by invitation of the property owner. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Whaling_Walls
    Last edited by NSortzi; July-27-20 at 04:20 AM.

Learn all about the artist Robert Wyland and his art and his conservation philosophy here: https://www.wyland.com/the-artist/

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Now I ask, not about the history of the 1997 Humpback Wale mural but why out of all animals did the artist[[s) choose jumping humpback whales for this mural instead of something more agressive like tigers, lions, bears, etc.? Does anybody know?

Why does everything need to be 'aggressive'? Why not peaceful and playful?

Does anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Why does everything need to be 'aggressive'? Why not peaceful and playful?

Does anybody know?
    Kid Rock/Eminem Voice-over: "Because we're DEEEETROIT. GRITTY. WE HUSTLE HARDER. FACTORIES. MUSCLE. ITS HALFTIME, AMERICA. DE2ROIT. SPARKS FLYING IN AN AUTO PLANT.

Wyland may be, objectively, the worst artist I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Wyland may be, objectively, the worst artist I've ever seen.
    The word you are looking for is "subjectively." You don't like him. Fine. what "objective" criteria are you imposing? Is his perspective off? color palate wrong? depictions of the animals inaccurate?

Do you have any other artists involved with marine life who work at such scales? Let's see links to their work. Or those who cover similar subjects at any scale. Why are they "objectively" better?

I've ever seen.
    Of the millions of artists out there, how many have you seen? And do you mean you've 'seen' as in having met them in person? Or that you've seen their works?

Also, remember this is a mural painted on the side of a building under whatever the prevailing weather conditions were. It's not likely going to be of the same quality as one painted on a canvas in a studio.

I've never minded the mural although I do find it oddly out of place. If it's going to be there I wish the colors were a little bolder. It has always looked faded.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The word you are looking for is "subjectively." You don't like him. Fine. what "objective" criteria are you imposing? Is his perspective off? color palate wrong? depictions of the animals inaccurate?

Do you have any other artists involved with marine life who work at such scales? Let's see links to their work. Or those who cover similar subjects at any scale. Why are they "objectively" better?
    No I mean objectively. He has absolutely no grasp of correct value, focal point, brush strokes, his color palette is gawdy to say the least, he's a grown man who paints primarily in acrylic[[which is for children) and his painting lack any kind of energy a picture could have. I can't believe someone who paints like a child could be so successful. Depressing

As one who has absolutely no artistic talent [[although I appreciate most art), I'd love to have his talent in my second life. Just sayin'.

I can't believe someone who paints like a child could be so successful. Depressing
    I'm guessing you think Guyton's messes are masterpieces?

Acrylic is for children? I haven't heard that before.

We're talking about brush strokes on an 18-story mural? Haha what a world.

Ah the oil verse acrylic argument. Sigh...... it's a wonderful image where none of that is applicable for applying paint to a brick, concrete or other type of substrate. It's a beautiful mural!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-28-20 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Ah the oil verse acrylic argument. Sigh...... it's a wonderful image where non of that is applicable for apply paint to a brick, concrete or other type of substrate. It's a beautiful mural!
    I always think that it looks better than an advertisement. If you look at downtown Detroit in the 1920s and 1930s there is a preponderance of billboards and building ads all over downtown. I'm glad that downtown hasn't been inundated since then... the city center looks very much more photogenic now.

Although I used to like the large theatre marquee blade signs on downtown theatre's. A pit that only the Fox has a multistory one now. In the 20s-50s you used to be able to stand at W. Adams and Woodward, and be able to turn your head in 360 degrees... and see a dozen theatre marquee's.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I've never minded the mural although I do find it oddly out of place.
    Agreed, and this is why I posed the question? Why Whales, and why in Detroit? ...Beautiful mural btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Agreed, and this is why I posed the question? Why Whales, and why in Detroit? ...Beautiful mural btw.
    The artist Robert Wyland was born and raised in Madison Heights. Marine mammals and especially whales are his thing. Large murals world-wide made him famous so it makes sense that the D has one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wyland

Kind of a reach. It says he moved to Laguna Beach waaaaay back in the 1970's! LAME! We dont know her!

I don't really care much about the mural either way but you know that if anybody tried to get rid of it we're gonna have a bunch of middle aged Karens from Auburn Hills protesting in Grand Circus Park about it.

Does anybody know what the wall looked like before the mural? I can't for the life of me find a single photo. I assume the elevator shafts are placed there so they couldn't put windows in.

I’ve always kind of liked it. Nothing about it ever bothered me. I wouldn’t say I was ever in love with it, but I though it looked good.

When the mural was done in 1997, it was a good thing! After all, the Broderick Tower had been just sitting there...empty and decaying for years!
    https://detroitunseen.com/detroit-wh...al-detroit-mi/

I've always enjoyed it!

Before the whale, didn't Nike have a picture of a football player and stats painted on the wall, or am I thinking of another building?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Before the whale, didn't Nike have a picture of a football player and stats painted on the wall, or am I thinking of another building?
    Barry Sanders was on the side of Cadillac Tower I believe. MGM had a mural there also [[different lion).

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Barry Sanders was on the side of Cadillac Tower I believe. MGM had a mural there also [[different lion).
    Thanks. [[funny)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast