Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 800 Metro Detroit Business have Folded, According to Yelp

As a barometer of Covid19 damage to the local economy Yelp, the well-known crowd-sourced local business review site, says that nearly 800 small businesses with a presence on Yelp's website have permanently closed their doors in metro Detroit since March based on the businesses on its site that have indicated closure. Note these are just the businesses listed on Yelp.

"While the company's findings focus only on the population of local businesses that use Yelp, the data offers an early glimpse at the coronavirus' permanent impact on small businesses

"A total of 1,500 metro Detroit businesses that are on Yelp closed their doors either on a temporary or permanent basis between March 1 to July 10, according to the company. More than half of those businesses will never reopen their doors, indicated by the owner marking the business “permanently closed” on Yelp."

Unfortunately, this is probably just the start of it. Once the savings, credit lines and PPP loans [[And hope) run out is when things are really going to get bad. If this pandemic stretches through the end of the year, I don't think it's out of the question to see 50% of the independent restaurants close their doors. Then we'll not only be dealing with the loss of businesses and jobs, but the fall out of having so much vacant storefront space available all at once. Restaurants and retail spaces often overlap, and brick & mortar retailers are getting pummeled almost as badly.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-23-20 at 08:41 AM.

Or the Governors could get their heads out of their asses and stop interfering with businesses so things can get back to normal.

Or a certain segment of the population could get their heads out of their asses and not thwart the actions and steps necessary to control the pandemic, so things can get back to normal. Or closer thereto. Like the civilized world has been able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Or the Governors could get their heads out of their asses and stop interfering with businesses so things can get back to normal.
    You mean like the governors of Texas, Florida and Georgia did. All leading to full hospitals and thousands more people dead.

They are doing just fine. Funny how you only mention the Republican states. LOL. Texas as an example, this is their first wave. Their highest death count in one day was 197, and I'm sure that number will go higher soon. Texas has 30 million residents. Michigans highest death total for one day in their first wave was 232, we have 10 million residents. So for Texas to hit numbers as bad as us, they need over 600 deaths in one day, and I wouldn't be surprised if they hit that at some point. Deaths are what matters, not infections. Why didn't you mention California? I know why you didn't.....

Fine let's include California. They opened too soon. they should still be in lockdown.

And don't make assumption about other people's politics. I'm an engineer. Normally I'm a conservative. However, I believe in science far more than I believe in the made up world of party politics. Science says social distancing, masks, shutdowns and hopefully a vaccine are the only way this is going away.

Keep ignoring the science, and this will go on for at least the next several years.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Keep ignoring the science, and this will go on for at least the next several years.
    Forcing businesses to shut down does *nothing* to eliminate the virus, and there is very thin, controversial scientific evidence that it helps slowing it down. Meanwhile, millions are loosing health care coverage and the means to support themselves, that is a hard fact.

The only event that will eliminate the virus is mass vaccination. Best case scenario that will happen in about 9-12 months, from the reports you can read in reputable scientific publications. This is the only hard prediction that science can make at this time. So hopefully the virus will NOT have a significant presence for next several years, as you are claiming 'science' says. This is regardless of whether businesses are shut down or not, or whether the red team or the blue team wins in November. That seems to be all you people care about really.

I wish people did not throw the word 'science' around to make their politically motivated argument. You are using it to make you sound smart and your political opponent dumb, but in reality what you are doing is demeaning the work that real scientists are doing.

Well, we'll see if California, Texas, Arizona, Georgia, and Florida can get the pandemic under control without shutting everything down.

We know shutting everything down in Europe and Asia worked. It's the reason they are reopening now and sending their children back to school.

Yep, we re-opened too fast in some cities, states along with the extra activities: protests, rioting, rallies, beaches, etc. I knew Georgia was going to blow up with higher COVID numbers but their governor refused to listen.

Yet China SLAMS the door down hard when they notice even some resurgence - small number. Course they're totalitarian, with deeper, far reaching mega control of their peoples individual lives at multiple levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Unfortunately, this is probably just the start of it. Once the savings, credit lines and PPP loans [[And hope) run out is when things are really going to get bad. If this pandemic stretches through the end of the year, I don't think it's out of the question to see 50% of the independent restaurants close their doors. Then we'll not only be dealing with the loss of businesses and jobs, but the fall out of having so much vacant storefront space available all at once. Restaurants and retail spaces often overlap, and brick & mortar retailers are getting pummeled almost as badly.
    It goes deeper then that,I have been contacted by 3 national chains for liquidation in the past week,and that is just little me.

I have a customer that has eateries in airports and large office complex’s and shopping malls he had over 800 employees and is starting over with just him and his wife.

There was a massive glut of taco shops and craft breweries one every corner,so a lot of it is a sort of a correction.

The craft brewery’s were okay because they were making hand sanitizer but now the state shut them all down,unless they meet the 50% food sales guidelines.

The restaurants that have re-opened are hanging in there barely with a limited capacity of 50%,but will never survive another shut down.

Its another transfer of wealth from the small business to the major corporations who can hang in there,

When it boils down to losing everything one has worked for all their life,a 10% death rate has little value.
    Last edited by Richard; July-24-20 at 08:07 AM.

If you're not dead, you haven't lost everything. There's no coming back from death. If you're alive you can rebuild. Still having a viable business doesn't mean shit if you're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Fine let's include California. They opened too soon. they should still be in lockdown.

And don't make assumption about other people's politics. I'm an engineer. Normally I'm a conservative. However, I believe in science far more than I believe in the made up world of party politics. Science says social distancing, masks, shutdowns and hopefully a vaccine are the only way this is going away.

Show me the science! The so called science changes hourly and varies drastically between scientists. Weather forecasting is a science just like pandemic forecasting.

yes and science keeps improving the answers over time. When I was young, You would be lucky to get an accurate 3 day weather forecast. as we've learned more and the weather forecasting technology improved, our weather forecasts keep getting better. Now a 7 day forecast is pretty accurate, with us expanding it out to almost 10 days.

Of course the science changes as we learn more. That's the whole point of science. You put forward an idea and then you devise tests to prove your theory.

We have some huge tests going on with this virus. Everything from Sweden's do nothing attitude all the way up to China's lock everyone infected up.

We're talking about a Virus that has been around for less than a year.

One thing that is not in doubt, The Virus needs a host. If you deprive the Virus it's hosts it dies. Separating people and wearing masks denies the Virus a host.

Quote Originally Posted by CR75 View Post
    Forcing businesses to shut down does *nothing* to eliminate the virus, and there is very thin, controversial scientific evidence that it helps slowing it down. Meanwhile, millions are loosing health care coverage and the means to support themselves, that is a hard fact.
    This isn't true. Viruses will die out if they cannot replicate in a new host. That is a pretty basic scientific concept. We also now have a lot of evidence that economic shutdowns in China, Europe, and specific regions in the U.S., halted the coronavirus's spread. The evidence of that is beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The fact is that if the southern and western states had locked down and followed CDC guidelines about how to reopen, we'd be past this already.