Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Can someone explain about unlocking phones?

I have a fancy Samsung phone with a Sprint logo on it. It has a camera and touch screen. Anyone know if this phone can be unlocked and used with a pay as you go plan. The original owner cannot be found to give me the lowdown. Im not even really sure what locked or unlocked means. Im assuming its assigned to the original owner and cannot be used by anyone else. If I cannot get the phone turned on Im hoping I can still use the music player and camera if I can find the right cord to hook up to my laptop.

Anyone...anyone?

Thanks

Retroit Guest

That'll teach you not to steal anymore cellphones!

My pay-as-you-go plan came with a free phone. Cameraphone is $30 more. I think what "locked" means is that someone lost that phone and they called Sprint to block all calls so that the asshole, ahem, the person that finds it won't use it.

One form of "Locked" means it is set up for a certain service provider, Sprint phones will not work on AT&T unless un-locked?
    Password Protection is set up by owner to keep lost phones from being of any use to finders.
    If it really is a fancy phone, It is being tracked by the service provider as soon as the owner reports it missing, it can lead them right to it!
    If you having it isn't on the up & up, You can ask how to unlock it when they get there?

And you know that Password Protected or Locked, It still is usable to call 911. So no matter what, you are still just hour's away from emergency help?

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtoplover59 View Post
    And you know that Password Protected or Locked, It still is usable to call 911. So no matter what, you are still just hour's away from emergency help?

I am certain that if people can call 911 to report that there are not enough shrimp in their shrimp fried rice you my friend have a valid complaint in calling to ask them what you can do to unlock the phone you [[ahem) "got" from someone .

ccbatson Guest

Apples iPhone is considered locked to ATandT service in the US [[by a contract between the 2). Hackers can disable the locking...at their peril.

If the person you got the phone from wanted you to use it, they would not have locked it. Hopefully, you will never be able to figure out how to use their phone. If you had half a brain you would call the provider and ask the rep how to unlock the phone that happened to fall into your hands.

the cell phone company has 'locked' your phone so it will only work with their service.
    If unlocked, you're free to use your choice of SIM and service with the phone, potentially saving you substantial money and adding to the flexibility of your phone. Most cell phone service providers electronically 'lock' the phone so that it can only be used with their service.
    Fortunately, this locking is reversible. With some phones, it is possible to simply enter an unlocking password code into the phone and it is immediately then unlocked. Other phones need to be connected up to a special unlocking data terminal.

Look on the internet, unlocking phones is a service.

ccbatson Guest

The peril part is loss of warranty, software update, and compatibility resolution support.