Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Developer Proposes 350 Apartments Across Midtown Whole Foods

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...wn-whole-foods

Same developer as City Club Apartments downtown. I think most people will comment on how ugly these are, so hopefully they improve the look. I am also very confused on how this is going to fit with the SOMA office space that is planned. I hope that isn't shelved because Midtown could use more office space.

KILL THAT FACADE, KILL IT IMMEDIATELY.

Just paint the whole thing black.

If you build that, they won't come....

My lord....

It is good news that development continues to press on in spite of this pandemic. The housing market is still strong given this economic situation is based on a single event as opposed to a total economic downturn.

I have a feeling that color scheme will be toned down haha. I'm just happy to see more residential proposals, despite the pandemic.

This really only leaves the southwest corner of Mack and Woodward...though I've pretty much given up on my dream of the long-rumored Target store happening there.

I'll be really upset if this doesn't get built...not because so many other announced projects have been successful here, but because, presumably, the developer accounted for all of the issues that have plagued these projects in recent years; namely, rising costs.

Hopefully it actually follows through. Although City Club Apartments seems fairly reputable just based on them currently building apartments in Downtown.

Hopefully these projects are enough to be viable for a Target in the area. I think there was an urban format Target with apartments on top that was built in East Lansing last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Hopefully it actually follows through. Although City Club Apartments seems fairly reputable just based on them currently building apartments in Downtown.

Hopefully these projects are enough to be viable for a Target in the area. I think there was an urban format Target with apartments on top that was built in East Lansing last year.
    I like that they follow through with what they propose, but for the live of God fire the architect. Ray Charles could design better

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    KILL THAT FACADE, KILL IT IMMEDIATELY.

Just paint the whole thing black.
    I'm not going to hate on infill i guess, but first of all:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...-professionals

same BS. absolutely no regard for context here. Brush Park CDC seems to do a good job working with developers to address design issues. This isn't just ugly uninformed facade work, its just makes absolutely on sense unless they plan to hire a muralist to paint whatever gradient theyre trying to achieve. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    I like that they follow through with what they propose, but for the live of God fire the architect. Ray Charles could design better
    I think this is developer driven. I looked at the architects website and there is absolutely nothing featured from the City Club people on their site. What they have featured are what I would expect, thought out design that is toned down and tasteful. These developers have to be pushing this crap.

I had a good te-he over the flamboyant colors of the facade but honestly it’s hard not to be excited about more residential like this being built. Hope they build that office tower nearby too as part of the Soma development. Can’t believe how fast the parking garage went up lol

We’re always complaining that new construction all looks the same. This is at least a bit different....

The colors are actually growing on me a bit.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; July-23-20 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    I had a good te-he over the flamboyant colors of the facade but honestly it’s hard not to be excited about more residential like this being built. Hope they build that office tower nearby too as part of the Soma development. Can’t believe how fast the parking garage went up lol
    This is in place of that office building that was proposed before. It is a shame considering that building was attractive and would have been a nice addition.

I don't think it's taking it's place, there's still plenty of room here for whatever else they wanna do.

It’s not taking the place of the office building. The office building is planned for the corner of Woodward and Mack. These apartments are planned for Woodward and Eliot.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    It’s not taking the place of the office building. The office building is planned for the corner of Woodward and Mack. These apartments are planned for Woodward and Eliot.
    Yeah where the old Tuffy used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    North or South of Eliot on Woodward?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    North or South of Eliot on Woodward?
    South of Eliot was supposed to be that new Botique hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    South of Eliot was supposed to be that new Botique hotel.
    Then it's gotta be north right? How's that going to fit with the SOMA? Very strange IMO

These apartments are going in the northeast corner of Woodward and Eliot. The hotel is planned for the southeast corner of Woodward and Eliot. The office tower is planned for the southeast corner of Woodward and Mack, one lot north of the apartments.

It's much better than Rainbow Vomit [[mercifully deceased), but it reminded me of that.

Hella better than the god-awful LED signs they initially proposed in front of the apartments they're putting up on the Statler site.

I'll join the minority and say it could be more interesting than safe black, grey, beige, brick, white, mirror [[ugh!), or brown. Not that I don't like some of those colors -- I do.

If they go forward with the colorful design it needs to be a mosaic, not a mural.

How can it be I'm the first to comment it's ironic these developers chose Midtown for their mid-rise and GCP for their low-rise?

Then again I'm not questioning their decision. As far as somewhere to live it is better.

Better shopping, restaurants, and bars. And plenty of indications the area will continue to improve. Much more room for growth that isn't under the ass of the Ilitches -- so that much less chance it will continue to rot or be turned into something else undesirable.

Welcome news, especially these days, in any case.

Good luck!
    Last edited by bust; July-24-20 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    How can it be I'm the first to comment it's ironic these developers chose Midtown for their mid-rise and GCP for their low-rise?
    The middling low rise discussion on the former Statler block has been argued to death already on the thread for that site... the "stick built" lowered expectations folks were in the majority on that thread.
    Last edited by Gistok; July-25-20 at 01:22 PM.

Their project downtown would be considered a mid-rise, this is a high-rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Their project downtown would be considered a mid-rise, this is a high-rise.
    Well I guess it's all on your perspective... in downtown I view that project [[6 stories) as low rise, with David Whitney Building [[18 stories) as mid rise, and Broderick Tower [[34 stories) as high rise.

But for Midtown, I concur that this new project would be high rise.
    Last edited by Gistok; July-25-20 at 01:35 PM.

Anything with 6 floors and up is defined as a mid-rise, anything with over about 12 floors is a high-rise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast