Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Jailed for not doing homework? What country are we in?

https://www.wxyz.com/news/teen-sent-...ppear-in-court

OAKLAND COUNTY, Mich. [[WXYZ) — An Oakland County judge has ruled that a 15-year-old girl ordered to a juvenile detention center for violating probation after not completing online coursework will remain in the detention center.

Grace, 15, had gotten into legal trouble last year, and as one of the conditions of her probation, she had to attend school and complete classwork, which her mother tells ProPublica her daughter was doing until the pandemic hit.

"In school the student gets one-on-one support from teachers and is allowed extra time to complete assignments because of add and other disabilities," Cohen said.

Our kids could never take it in parts of India etc. where they still literally punish from school age on [[corporal Murga bend-over paddle style):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufOh...J3nj0y&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ2e...3nj0y&index=11
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-22-20 at 07:00 AM.

An easier solution might be that if a youth does not attend school regularly [[say,.. all but 2-3 days in a school year), and graduate from high school, they are banned from ever receiving any state or federal aid for life.

If they and their parents can't be bothered to care about their education,.. don't expect the rest of us to support you for life.

We can do this with the parent / s too. If all of their children aren't attending school full time,.. they loose all social assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    An easier solution might be that if a youth does not attend school regularly [[say,.. all but 2-3 days in a school year), and graduate from high school, they are banned from ever receiving any state or federal aid for life.

If they and their parents can't be bothered to care about their education,.. don't expect the rest of us to support you for life.

We can do this with the parent / s too. If all of their children aren't attending school full time,.. they loose all social assistance.
    That would be an incredibly great way to increase crime, poverty, and homelessness. All things we should be trying to lower.

Osceola county,Kissimmee Fl has been arresting parents if their schoolchildren have more then 3 un-excused absences in a school year,for at least the last 10 years.

In this case,the mother is providing an excuse for her,which is probably the root of the problem to start with.

It would be understandable if she had said they could not afford internet but it is just indicative of zero accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    https://www.wxyz.com/news/teen-sent-...ppear-in-court

OAKLAND COUNTY, Mich. [[WXYZ) — An Oakland County judge has ruled that a 15-year-old girl ordered to a juvenile detention center for violating probation after not completing online coursework will remain in the detention center.

Grace, 15, had gotten into legal trouble last year, and as one of the conditions of her probation, she had to attend school and complete classwork, which her mother tells ProPublica her daughter was doing until the pandemic hit.

"In school the student gets one-on-one support from teachers and is allowed extra time to complete assignments because of add and other disabilities," Cohen said.
    Next time try checking out the stories instead of just running with what the leftie media feeds you.

https://thegrio.com/2020/07/21/michi...ping-homework/

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Next time try checking out the stories instead of just running with what the leftie media feeds you.

https://thegrio.com/2020/07/21/michi...ping-homework/

I'm undecided as to whether stories like this are intentionally hyperbolized because of the political biases of the publisher, or just to drive more advertising income. Maybe it's a combination of both, but whatever the reason it's gone off the charts over the last few years.

Quote from the link that Wheels posted.

"The judge also made sure that everyone was clear on why she was being disciplined, and it was not just because she missed a few school assignments.

“She was not detained because she didn’t turn her homework in,” Brennan explained. “She was detained because she was a threat to her mother.”

I don't mean to regurgitate Steve Lehto's videos everywhere, but he does a great job of summarizing these legal cases.

tl;dr : The student "Grace" was charged with theft and assault. She was given a choice to go to trial in family court, or probation. The student chose probation, and agreed to the terms of her own probation. A part of the terms of her probation was to complete her homework. She did not. She did not contact her parole officer to say she was having problems. Nor the judge. Nor the school. According to the judge in the case, she made no effort to do any of the work. She was found to be in violation of the terms of her probation and sent to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I'm undecided as to whether stories like this are intentionally hyperbolized because of the political biases of the publisher, or just to drive more advertising income. Maybe it's a combination of both, but whatever the reason it's gone off the charts over the last few years.

Quote from the link that Wheels posted.

"The judge also made sure that everyone was clear on why she was being disciplined, and it was not just because she missed a few school assignments.

“She was not detained because she didn’t turn her homework in,” Brennan explained. “She was detained because she was a threat to her mother.”

Also in the same article:

Ironically, according to ProPublica, Grace’s mother wants her daughter home. In addition to her mom wanting her home, many educators and social workers have come to her defense.

I guess we're all reading only the parts we want to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    thegrio.
    I'm gonna go with WXYZ over somegoofo.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm gonna go with WXYZ over somegoofo.
    You can go with any spin you like but the fact remains she was not held because of the homework. As far as the mother changing her tune she is the one that alerted the authorities in the first place. She probably found out they were going to cut off her Obama money.

Yes, her mom called about the girl breaking probation, but rather than assuming it's about money, I would guess she didn't know what else to do and didn't even dream they would actually follow up

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Yes, her mom called about the girl breaking probation, but rather than assuming it's about money, I would guess she didn't know what else to do and didn't even dream they would actually follow up
    I was referring to the original reason she was on probation was because her mother turned her in for a violent beating she took from he sweet little daughter!

She's learning at a young age that there are consequences for your actions. That you need to take your commitments seriously and I have no problem with that.

The whole ADHD excuse is just a smoke screen. Anyone can be diagnosed with this "disability" if they want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    ...I guess we're all reading only the parts we want to read.
    Of course. We also only read what our bubbled-media presents to us.

So at some point she was a threat to her mother. She agreed to discipline that might educate her. She ignored the agreement. And 'educators and social workers' defend her. Its a great world we live in. Abuse is OK as long you can find some professional fools to defend you. Sure. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post

Maybe. How many times have we witnessed abusive relationships, women and men, where the victim keeps coming back. "He said he was sorry, and I know he really loves me". Or she comes in the next morning after a "night out with the girls", "oh I got drunk and spent the night at Betty's". And, of course, good ol' Betty is there to back up her story. You read about or maybe know people who live like that. Mom probably got tired of the beatings, called the cops, then thought about her sweet little baby girl, and after tears and promises of being good, had a change of heart. "It'll be different this time, I swear."