Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What Brings A Texas Boy To Detroit?

I have never been to Detroit. But, from age 6, I was a rabid baseball fan, and read every book about baseball I could get my hands on. So, Cobb and Crawford, Gehringer, Heilmann, Manush, Greenberg and Walker, Rudy York!, Newhouser and Trout, Kueen, Kaline and Bunning, Cash and Colavito, Horton, Lolich, and Mclain, the Bird, Miggy, and more. Then the '67 riot. All over the network news. From that moment I have been praying for a Detroit return to greatness and an end to the slaughter going on in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zankie Albo View Post
    and an end to the slaughter going on in Detroit.
    What 'slaughter' is that? I think there are still a few meat packing places, but Texans sell cows, don't they?

I've heard our specific death tolls related to C-19 pandemic called a slaughter.

Indeed, for certain we lost many - quickly, over a span of weeks unlike any 'flu' response to date [[post 1918).

And YET we stand. Thank you for your prayers for our city Zankie!

Welcome to DetroitYES!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-22-20 at 02:31 AM.

Slaughter? If you're talking murder, you might want to send your good wishes to St Louis MO instead

How thoughtless of me to forget St Louis. And Chicago.

How thoughtless of me to forget St Louis. And Chicago.
    You may as well just make a list of cities with Democrat Mayors and wish them all well!

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. That was not my intention.

Detroit is not much different then Texas.

Don’t mess with Texas
    Don't mess with Detroit

Every city in the country has it’s issues.

That's right, you're not from Detroit; but Detroit wants you anyway.

Forget about it ---- Have you ever been to the D or Mich?

You'd love our two seasons: Winter and Julygust as a poster mentioned! Hah.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. That was not my intention.

I might be a little biased since I was born and raised in Oakland county and lived in Dearborn heights also for a bit [[2015), but Detroit is awesome! So much to offer. There’s no place like it. The metro area is great too. So much to be proud of.

I live in Austin now and can honestly say I miss the four seasons. It’s too damn hot in Texas. Been here a few years now and I can’t take the heat lol!

I wish to one day maybe be an investor and part of Detroit’s comeback story. 😊🙏

Only thing not cool about the area is the auto insurance. Good lord! That really pissed me off when I lived there

^^^ Yeah the insurance scene is wacked. TOOO High! And the gray sky winters drag on for many months, and months.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Yeah the insurance scene is wacked. TOOO High! And the gray sky winters drag on for many months, and months.
    Oh for sure! The gray skies...can’t forget about that element. Winter wouldn’t be as bad if there was more sunshine.

If you’re a golfer metro Detroit is a great area for you as well. Had a course near where I grew up, commerce township maybe, where you could do 18 holes with a cart for $20. Nice course too! In Texas it’s outrageously overpriced.
    Another thing Detroit has going for it is no bugs! You’ll see big roaches in Texas all the time. It’s so gross

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    Oh for sure! The gray skies...can’t forget about that element. Winter wouldn’t be as bad if there was more sunshine.

If you’re a golfer metro Detroit is a great area for you as well. Had a course near where I grew up, commerce township maybe, where you could do 18 holes with a cart for $20. Nice course too! In Texas it’s outrageously overpriced.
    Another thing Detroit has going for it is no bugs! You’ll see big roaches in Texas all the time. It’s so gross
    Had no chance to compare with Texas, but for me Detroit seemed too humid. Not sure if that's because of my apartment or just the weather. AC or dehumidifier is not helping. Bought a Fridriech from the list, thought that's made in germany, but turned out it's chinese and got broken in a week, and noticed silverfishes appeared. Guess the nature itself talking to me
    Last edited by MellowLife; August-23-20 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    Another thing Detroit has going for it is no bugs!
    I'm pretty sure you were in a completely different Detroit than the rest of us.

^ Setting aside bedbugs, sure we don't have the level and size of bugs you see in the south. I was in Georgia last month and encountered a giant inch-and-half sized water bug not seen here in decades. They have scorpions too. And the giant roaches? Well they may be holding up in New York too!

We do have our share of fish flies down by our lakes and rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by MellowLife View Post
    Had no chance to compare with Texas, but for me Detroit seemed too humid. Not sure if that's because of my apartment or just the weather. AC or dehumidifier is not helping, and noticed silverfishes appeared. Guess the nature itself talking to me
    I take it you've never been to Houston...