Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Tigers

Default 2020 Tigers

Well, it appears after a 1-year+ rest, Zimmerman is probably done as a $25mil/yr Tiger with the same forearm injury, really? As a reminder, his stellar season last year was 1-13 with a 6.91 ERA in 23 starts.

BTW: Instead of the $25mil, with the adjusted schedule & salary, he will only be making a mere $9mil to stay home.

BTWW: Prince Fielder will still get the full $6mil, no adjustment penalty.

Carry on.

Tigers got way more out of Fielder then they did with Zimmerman.

Overpaid. The lot.

The salaries of professional athletes are obscene. At least Prince Fielder contributed to the Tigers getting to the World Series. I can’t think of anything positive Jordan Zimmermann contributed to.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I can’t think of anything positive Jordan Zimmermann contributed to.
    2019: Zimmermann started 23 times this season and set a team record for fewest wins by a pitcher with 20 or more starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    2019: Zimmermann started 23 times this season and set a team record for fewest wins by a pitcher with 20 or more starts.
    Zimmermann has been stealing money, since he got here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Zimmermann has been stealing money, since he got here.
    What Tiger hasn't????

23-yr old "boy wonder" pitcher Casey Mize didn't make the roster & is heading to the Mud hens. . . .some of us clearly "got the message".

Nice to see a box score again. It's like a tiny piece of normalcy has returned even if it doesn't last.
    Name:  boxscore.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  59.1 KB

23-yr old "boy wonder" pitcher Casey Mize didn't make the roster & is heading to the Mud hens. . . .some of us clearly "got the message".
    [[Mud Hens season is cancelled).

Mud Hens season is cancelled but they're still running individual and team drills down there, so saying he's being sent to Toledo is still an accurate statement.

Ok fellas, Tigers lost the opener to the Reds by only 7-1, appears a long [[losing) but short [[60-G's) season is ahead.

BTW: For those who asked, Dave Dombrowski is available. . . . .

Three straight losses to the Reds is not a good way to resume the 2020 season.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Three straight losses to the Reds is not a good way to resume the 2020 season.
    Sure was an ugly win today but I’ll take it. These guys have turned striking out into an art form.

Ok fellas, Tigers lost the opener to the Reds by only 7-1, appears a long [[losing) but short [[60-G's) season is ahead.

BTW: For those who asked, Dave Dombrowski is available. . . . .
    Heard him and a group of investors, are trying to bring MLB to Nashville Tennessee.

Three game series with St. Louis canned because of the virus. May as well shut down for the season. We're all gonna die anyway; CNN told me so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Three game series with St. Louis canned because of the virus. May as well shut down for the season. We're all gonna die anyway; CNN told me so.
    Not everybody is gonna die. Just a quarter million or so. And it was a 4 game series.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    And it was a 4 game series.
    Ooops....my bad.

This is definitely a better team than last year. Don't have lot of confidence in our closer yet. The batters are striking out a lot, but the other sides are too. Pitchers seem to have the upper hand with their fresh arms.

Defense looks better and Jacoby Jones is showing the five tool potential he has been touted to have. The free agents Cron and School have improved a couple of weaknesses and Miggy is hitting with power again, if nothing else.

We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yeah but think of all the ticket refunds if they do. Oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This is definitely a better team than last year. Don't have lot of confidence in our closer yet. The batters are striking out a lot, but the other sides are too. Pitchers seem to have the upper hand with their fresh arms.

Defense looks better and Jacoby Jones is showing the five tool potential he has been touted to have. The free agents Cron and School have improved a couple of weaknesses and Miggy is hitting with power again, if nothing else.

We'll see.
    I'm not as optimistic but then we knew none of these guys like Stewart, Candelario, Greiner, Lugo, Reyes were going to be any good. It's all about the next wave. The team is marginally better because of the veterans here on 1 yr. deals and the bullpen is better with Soto, Alexander, Farmer [[who would have thought) and Cisnero. Also, Turnbull looks really good. He somehow found his command in the off-season. On the flip side Boyd has been awful. Jones definitely has changed his stroke and looks great. Miggy managed to turn around 3 off speed pitches but is really looking late on fastballs. I just hope they can finish as many games as possible so we can continue to sort out which of these guys are worth keeping for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm not as optimistic but then we knew none of these guys like Stewart, Candelario, Greiner, Lugo, Reyes were going to be any good. It's all about the next wave. The team is marginally better because of the veterans here on 1 yr. deals and the bullpen is better with Soto, Alexander, Farmer [[who would have thought) and Cisnero. Also, Turnbull looks really good. He somehow found his command in the off-season. On the flip side Boyd has been awful. Jones definitely has changed his stroke and looks great. Miggy managed to turn around 3 off speed pitches but is really looking late on fastballs. I just hope they can finish as many games as possible so we can continue to sort out which of these guys are worth keeping for next season.
    I agree with you on the young players, except for Reyes. I think he is a genuine item with all the tools but more as a utility player, pinch runner/hitter type. Otherwise, as you say, we're waiting for the next wave but I think this year will at least have competitive if losing games.

Regarding Turnbull, I'd never heard of him until I ventured down to a Toledo game two summers ago when he happened to be pitching. He struck out ten of the first eleven batters, with pitching not heat, and I'm going, "Who is this guy" and why haven't I read anything about him? As for Boyd I never saw much in him beyond maybe being a decent .500 number 4 or 5 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I agree with you on the young players, except for Reyes. I think he is a genuine item with all the tools but more as a utility player, pinch runner/hitter type. Otherwise, as you say, we're waiting for the next wave but I think this year will at least have competitive if losing games.

Regarding Turnbull, I'd never heard of him until I ventured down to a Toledo game two summers ago when he happened to be pitching. He struck out ten of the first eleven batters, with pitching not heat, and I'm going, "Who is this guy" and why haven't I read anything about him? As for Boyd I never saw much in him beyond maybe being a decent .500 number 4 or 5 starter.
    The problem with Reyes is teams just don't carry those guys any more. Even your 4th outfielder has to have decent power.

Don't matter. There will be no more beizbol until 2023 at the soonest.

Looks like the Tigers are finally calling up the kids.

The Detroit Tigers called up three of their top six prospects Monday: right-handed pitcher Casey Mize, left-handed pitcher Tarik Skubal and infielder Isaac Paredes. Paredes started on a positive beat with a two-out two-rbi single.

Meanwhile on the free agent bust front C.J. Cron, who lasted just 13 games before a season-ending injury, joins the Tiger's list of broken down free agents. Meanwhile free agent Ivan Nova is on the IL.

Hopefully the young arms can improve on the abysmal starting pitching, Boyd 9.64 ERA [[entering Monday), Nova 8.53 ERA, and Fulmer 7.56 ERA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast