Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: ChronicPain

UFO Guest

Default ChronicPain

Does anyone else have chronic pain ?

One day you seem fine with minimal pain and are able to walk long distances with frequent breaks,able to be somewhat normal , laugh or smile at times and the next minute your pain is so bad that your mind is consumed with it and thoughts of suicide rage through your brain.
    Dealing with depression daily, one sec you are ok the next you are an emotional mess.

Any tips on what might help?

I don't know, my doctor just said Aleve. Henry Ford Hospital has a pain clinic if that will help you. For me Aleve lets me sleep through the night. If you need additional help, you can actually take Tylenol on top of the Aleve. Aleve can be bad for kidneys, and Tylenol for the liver, so of course, you weigh one thing against another.

I find music through headphones can help. Best of luck to you.

Blarf Guest

Good drugs.

UFO: Is this chronic pain from a back problem? I have some experience [[30 yrs or so) with that and have some tips on relieving the pain. If you do have back pain and would like more info, either send me a private message here, or e-mail me at corneroffice2 at aol dot com.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Does anyone else have chronic pain ?

One day you seem fine with minimal pain and are able to walk long distances with frequent breaks,able to be somewhat normal , laugh or smile at times and the next minute your pain is so bad that your mind is consumed with it and thoughts of suicide rage through your brain.
    Dealing with depression daily, one sec you are ok the next you are an emotional mess.

Any tips on what might help?
    Maybe this is the culprit...

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    It feels like someone is on top of you holding you down ,sometimes you see a figure other times you cannot because you are being held down face into the bed, or at times like they are throwing you up in the air by your legs slamming your body up and down on the bed.
    ... your sleep paralysis problem from the other thread...

.... sorry... couldn't help myself... but dude... if you really have these problems with sleep, chronic pain and even contemplating suicide... you really do need professional help... and not the snarky comments of a public forum!!!

UFO: My response was too long for the DYes private messages. Please send an e-mail to me at corneroffice2 at aol.com. I will respond as soon as you do.

UFO Guest

Thanks Blue, I dropped you an email. Any help is great.

Thanks for the advice Gaz. But pills dont help because I have the scoliosis and degenerative discs on top of the chronic pain.

Yep, that degeneration is nasty. It can be very annoying to be told to just take Aleve and add Tylenol, and bear the pain, especially if your mobility is affected by it or aggravates it. That is why I find some distraction of the brain helps, like music, or reading something exciting, even mixing it up on a message board. Pain can be one big concentrated message to your brain, but if you can head it off a little, there is some respite.

ccbatson Guest

Don't have it...treat it all the time. Although even a bit radical for me, look into the works/books authored by a Physician/author named John Sarno.

ccbatson Guest

Gistok is correct...more specifically, you need a Physiatrist specializing in chronic pain. Not an anesthesiologist wielding needles, not a surgeon wielding a scalpel, and not any Physician wielding escalating dependency producing medications and enabling disability.

UFO Guest

Thanks for all the tips. Would anyone recommend drinking marijuana tea to control the pain and depression?

Or would it make it worse?

I have heard good things where people report being able to feel happier and able to forget their pain for a while and I heard bad things aout it.

Im not sure if I could stand being high though.

The variety of reports you've heard are likely due the variety in delivery, dosages, previous experience, expectations, and metabolism.

It is very likely that consuming the FULL cannabinoid-buffered complex chemistry of the female hemp plant in one of its forms will help you manage this pain, and even temper the depression.

But only in moderation...up the dose continually and you may worsen your depression.

Some metabolisms and psyches cannot handle the freedoms delivered by cannabis, either with the indica head-high...or the sativa body-buzz. MOST, however do very well with it.

Cheers, I wish you well in your quest. May you find what you need.

Get your doctor to prescribe a TENS unit for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcu...ve_stimulation

Totally helped me when I had a pinched nerve. Totally helped Mr. Erie with chronic back pain.

Hope you're able to get some relief with whatever avenue you choose.

ccbatson Guest

The real key is doing a lot of hard work slowly over time to take control of your life back from pain. Pain limits mobility and function, so, you slowly train yourself back to full function. Inversely, chronic pain directs the sufferer to passive treatments [[like opiates) which degrade quality of life. So, slowly weaning away from passive treatments and behaviors back to independence is how to address this issue. Ultimately, the goal is to restore full function and eliminate dependence. Pain will still be there, but it will not ruin the quality of life.

That sounds like good advice, CC. Loss of function due to pain and fear of deterioration seems like the biggest problem. Being able to regain mobility would be a great thing to learn. Do you recommend any reading material to get started?