Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ambassador Bridge owner Manuel 'Matty' Moroun dead at age 93

"Manuel "Matty" Moroun, a self-made billionaire trucking mogul and owner of the Ambassador Bridge, died Sunday at age 93, his son, Matthew, confirmed Monday.

Matthew Moroun, vice chairman of the holding company and Moroun's only son, declined further comment."

Ambassador Bridge owner Manuel 'Matty' Moroun dead at age 93

That's unfortunate...
    Last edited by 313WX; July-13-20 at 03:35 PM.

One of the most evil men in Detroit.

I wont make any other comment about where he's going.

A good news day.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post

Have yet to hear anything concrete that was bad about the man. It's not like he was running the city downhill, stealing millions, or funding his empire with taxpayer dollars like Coleman Young, Kwamee or the Illiches,

Some think he shouldn't have protected his businesses,... but that's not a good reason to speak evil of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Have yet to hear anything concrete that was bad about the man.
    Can't say as I've ever heard anything good about him.

From all accounts, he was a greedy jerk. So rest in peace you old codger. Maybe his son will rename the Ambassador the Matty Memorial Bridge.

At least he got to see his failure in fighting the new bridge as construction started.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Can't say as I've ever heard anything good about him.
    We did today.

His 3 sisters sued him once [[a several year lawsuit)... I believe it was over inheritance.

Matty Moroun did do one very good thing for Detroit. He disobeyed the city's requests [[twice) to tear down the MCS. So even though he spent a ridiculous amount of time putting cheap windows into it... at least it lasted long enough for Ford to buy it from him.

Besides that, I can't think of a single positive that he did.

It was over 7 years ago a few months before the bankruptcy and I was looking to bring a substantial investment to the city of Detroit.

I ran into more roadblocks then a roadblock producing factory,I approached pretty much all the “billionaires” in the city for help including the mayor.

Mr Moroun and Mr Stamper were the only two in the entire city that was tasked with encouraging investment within the city that actually asked.

How can we help.

At that time I was perplexed why a city that was in such dire straights would actually go out of their way in order to make sure outside investment did not touch the city of Detroit soil.

That showed me at that time who actually really cared about the city and it’s future,and it ment a lot to me anyways.

You guys may not for your reasons but I have a lot of respect for him and I hope he rests in peace and condolences to his family.

It will be interesting to see whether his empire is broken up by the will and whether such ideas as the Ambassador second span will be pursued. The son who was increasingly taking the reins seemed more level-headed than the old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    His 3 sisters sued him once [[a several year lawsuit)... I believe it was over inheritance.

Matty Moroun did do one very good thing for Detroit. He disobeyed the city's requests [[twice) to tear down the MCS. So even though he spent a ridiculous amount of time putting cheap windows into it... at least it lasted long enough for Ford to buy it from him.

Besides that, I can't think of a single positive that he did.
    Of course he was also the reason for it to be in such bad shape in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    At that time I was perplexed why a city that was in such dire straights would actually go out of their way in order to make sure outside investment did not touch the city of Detroit soil.
    His money had more strings than a spider web. Nothing was done without expecting more in returns. City was smart to avoid him.

During the meetings with Windsor about the second span,one of the members made a statement of how he thought the son was going to be different but seems to be a chip off of the block.

People that have never been in business seem to think,you just put up a little money and the gravy train rolls.A business is supposed to do what is best for the interests of the business.

If you think about it,starting a trucking company in Detroit at that time,it was not just the Italians one would have had to deal with,there was also a heavy Greek OC influence plus the teamsters,one would have had to been one tough cookie in order to survive and prosper and fight every foot of the way.

They also have a major trucking influence in VA.

His money had more strings than a spider web. Nothing was done without expecting more in returns. City was smart to avoid him.
    He would have had a return,just like the city would have had with the investment,jobs and all that it brings.

Lets be honest,at that time Detroit was the last place on earth anybody wanted to invest in.

People investing in the city lifts all boats,but some do not understand that.

I wont make any other comment about where he's going.
    You're so kind. Why do you hate so much?

You guys may not for your reasons but I have a lot of respect for him and I hope he rests in peace and condolences to his family.
    This is a nice story and all but his actions throughout his entire life show otherwise, the exact opposite in fact. What investments exactly did he do in 2013? Other than hoarding more property to slum up. I would love it if this was an alternate reality were Moroun actually did good for the city and was a net positive but the fact is he did not.

This is a nice story and all but his actions throughout his entire life show otherwise, the exact opposite in fact. What investments exactly did he do in 2013? Other than hoarding more property to slum up. I would love it if this was an alternate reality were Moroun actually did good for the city and was a net positive but the fact is he did not.
    He was one person,I find it hard to believe he directly controlled the actions of over 700,000 and was the only person directly responsible for the demise of the city.

The news reported on the major landowners within the city,not paying the taxes and massive amounts of derelict property’s of the worst offenders he was not even on the list.

As far as I can tell,he was not paid $300 million to invest in the city like others ,if he was that greedy he could have quadrupled his income by not being in the city,but yet he stuck it out to the end.
    Last edited by Richard; July-13-20 at 05:19 PM.

Don't try to derail this, this is about Matty and his actions alone not 700,000 people. Stop making excuses for him. The man was a horror and likely only reached out because he saw an opportunity to exploit.

He was awful and will be remembered as such, god rest whatever soul he might of had. Maybe I'll pray for him.

Also notice how you couldn't answer my question.

The news reported on the major landowners within the city,not paying the taxes and massive amounts of derelict property’s of the worst offenders he was not even on the list.

As far as I can tell,he was not paid $300 million to invest in the city like others ,if he was that greedy he could have quadrupled his income by not being in the city,but yet he stuck it out to the end.
    So, because he wasn't publicly shown to be on a list of people that didn't do something, you know he did do it? And that he wasn't on the list maybe because he might have possibly paid somebody off?

You know, 'as far as you can tell' ....

I see you edited your comment, I have to say this is completely false. Matty made his money by preying on a city when it was going through tough times. He wouldn't have any wealth if it was not for Detroit and it's infrastructure.

So, because he wasn't publicly shown to be on a list of people that didn't do something, you know he did do it? And that he wasn't on the list maybe because he might have possibly paid somebody off?

You know, 'as far as you can tell' ....
    How would have his actions been any different then the discussion where somebody wanted to convert the firehouse into a restaurant.

The neighborhood said they had “connections” within city hall to stop it.

Everybody “knows somebody” that’s how the world turns.

Do you have evidence that he paid somebody off?

Show me one of his properties that are behind in the taxes.

I see you edited your comment, I have to say this is completely false. Matty made his money by preying on a city when it was going through tough times. He wouldn't have any wealth if it was not for Detroit and it's infrastructure.
    I do not edit my comments,I do not need to change what I write and I stand by what I write.

Who was in charge of Detroit? It was not Matty,you are looking for a scapegoat,he did not create the environment,sure he may have profited it on it,but so have thousands within the city,that’s the whole point.

You take the risk then you are entitled to your profits.

You going to tell me that no other billionaires did the exact same thing?

You gave the other one $300 million to win his love for the city,in theroy you gave him a good 1/4 of the downtown.

Do not be a chicken and the chicken hawks will not eat you.

I didn't wish death on him. I feel for his family and wish them the best.

However, his legacy in this world isn't a good one. There's no sugar coating it, he damaged Detroit and Windsor. May we not repeat his mistakes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast