Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thar She Blows -- Palace of Auburn Hills Detonation

800 pounds of dynamite taking her down at 8 AM on Saturday according to this article.

It all strikes me as the epitome of our throw-away culture. I'm amazed how such a big item can be used for relatively so little time and then tossed.

I wish I could find the pictures I took when Great Lakes Sugar went down. It was one of the earliest implosions in the area.

Somewhere I have a video of Jefferson Assembly going down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ... It all strikes me as the epitome of our throw-away culture. I'm amazed how such a big item can be used for relatively so little time and then tossed.
    Especially in places like Las Vegas where that kind of architectural wastage has become traditional. You'd think some cost benefit analysis would dissuade that kind of "planning" but apparently not.

The Palace is a case study of Metro Detroit's terrible planning policies. It was doomed to this fate from the moment the first brick was laid.

Other cities have demolished modern stadiums and arenas but nobody can't beat this area's record of demolishing 3 in such a short time; all only 30-40 year's old.

Agreed. I was in it a few years ago and it was wonderful! What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    800 pounds of dynamite taking her down at 8 AM on Saturday according to this article.

It all strikes me as the epitome of our throw-away culture. I'm amazed how such a big item can be used for relatively so little time and then tossed.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Agreed. I was in it a few years ago and it was wonderful! What a waste.
    I agree, it was a great venue for everything. I’m sorry it couldn’t continue to exist in some form. Really kind of sad.

Gotta love how so few people really seem to care.

It speaks volume to how much of a vanity project it was for one man.

Good riddance.

what will be done with all the debris? Will any of it be recycled or is it all destined for a landfill?

I think I'll echo the good riddance. Local news keeps going on about how supposedly "sad" it is to see it go. I have to roll my eyes.

This arena should have never existed and was really a big embarrassment for this region being where it was in the middle of nowhere.

I wonder what celebrities must have thought when they performed there. They must of thought it was insane.

The modus operandi of large venue owners is new one gets built... the old one must be destroyed to prevent competition.

Back in the 1960s when the Lincoln Center was built in NYC, no amount of others trying to buy the old 1883 Metropolitan Opera House could save it from the owners, who didn't want competition for Lincoln Center. It was pounded to rubble in the late 1960s.

Ditto for Tiger Stadium/Comerica Park... JLA & LCA and many other venues around the country.

Interesting. So simple and so true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The modus operandi of large venue owners is new one gets built... the old one must be destroyed to prevent competition.

Back in the 1960s when the Lincoln Center was built in NYC, no amount of others trying to buy the old 1883 Metropolitan Opera House could save it from the owners, who didn't want competition for Lincoln Center. It was pounded to rubble in the late 1960s.

Ditto for Tiger Stadium/Comerica Park... JLA & LCA and many other venues around the country.

I absolutely hated the location, but it was without a doubt a better place to see a game comparerd to LCA, especially if you have seats in the upper deck. Good sightlines, plenty of room in the seats and you didn't get vertigo trying to watch the ball.

The Pizza Palace clearly prioritized club seating, suites, bells and whistles over the actual non-corporate fan experience; the seats are cramped, the gondola is a useless gimmick that blocks the view, and there seems to be more effort put into keeping people wandering around the concourse instead of watching the game. Plus, the broken promises of "The District" have created a eerie dead zone around the arena in what was supposed to be the new hot area.

I had a lot of memories watching some great Pistons teams there, so a small part of me is sad, but despite this and the shortcomings of the new arena, I am overall extremely happy to not have to drive 40 miles up 75 at rush hour to make it in time for tipoff.

As I've settled into my late 30's I've realized I don't really care about professional sports. I used to watch hockey and football on TV, but even before COVID I just stopped caring.

I'm now leaning toward the position of zero public funding for these structures. Let the billionaires pay for them.

I never watched most sports. A little baseball, some auto racing. When the ball payers threw their first hissy fit so many years back, it showed me it was all about money. Then it started showing up in racing. I stopped watching everything.

Public money should NEVER have gone to these places. NEVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I think I'll echo the good riddance. Local news keeps going on about how supposedly "sad" it is to see it go. I have to roll my eyes.

This arena should have never existed and was really a big embarrassment for this region being where it was in the middle of nowhere.

I wonder what celebrities must have thought when they performed there. They must of thought it was insane.
    I certainly prefer downtown arenas myself but celebrities could care less. Unless they're in Miami, NY or Vegas, they fly in and do their show and fly out. Most rarely stay overnight unless necessary. The sound check and color of the m & m's in their dressing room is all that matters. The Palace was part of a trend of suburban arenas in the '70s. It was one of the top grossing venues in the country for several years during its heyday and, other than a couple of ramps off I75, it was totally privately financed.
    Last edited by 401don; July-09-20 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    As I've settled into my late 30's I've realized I don't really care about professional sports. I used to watch hockey and football on TV, but even before COVID I just stopped caring.

I'm now leaning toward the position of zero public funding for these structures. Let the billionaires pay for them.

C'mon, don't be a poop! Where's your team spirit? Put on your official $35 team t-shirt, $25 team hat, order a pizza-pizza, and cheer, cheer, cheer! Grown men making 30 mil a year for catching the ball [[sometimes) need love too you know.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-09-20 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    C'mon, don't be a poop! Where's your team spirit? Put on your official $35 team t-shirt, $25 team hat, order a pizza-pizza, and cheer, cheer, cheer! Grown men making 30 mil a year for catching the ball [[sometimes) need love too you know.
    Actually Miggy makes 31 million a year and as a full-time DH is no longer required to catch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Actually Miggy makes 31 million a year and as a full-time DH is no longer required to catch the ball.
    Are they hiring?

Professional athletes make obscene money, but they are also the reason each team and league brings in billions of dollars. They are paid their market value.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I think I'll echo the good riddance. Local news keeps going on about how supposedly "sad" it is to see it go. I have to roll my eyes

As far as the location goes, you could have said the same things about the Pontiac Silverdome [[which I never warmed up to) I liked the Palace, I though it was a great place to see a basketball game. Went to many concerts there also. I thought the parking was much more convenient then looking for a lot and walking to the venue. Also, there was an area where you could drop off passengers at a particular door, which I did many times during the Winter.

Doesn’t make too much difference now anyways, Pistons suck, Red Wings suck, Tigers suck. We’re lucky the Lions are so good.

I highly recommend that all you sports naysayers take your kesters to Hamtramck's historic stadium for some Detroit City Football Club soccer. The atmosphere on a summer night is superb with the crazy Northern Guard and Le Rouge fans, diverse crowd and strong play. I can assure you, you make more money than the young men furiously sweating on the field.

They start back up Aug. 8th, but probably alone. Sad!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    As far as the location goes, you could have said the same things about the Pontiac Silverdome [[which I never warmed up to) I liked the Palace, I though it was a great place to see a basketball game. Went to many concerts there also. I thought the parking was much more convenient then looking for a lot and walking to the venue. Also, there was an area where you could drop off passengers at a particular door, which I did many times during the Winter.

Doesn’t make too much difference now anyways, Pistons suck, Red Wings suck, Tigers suck. We’re lucky the Lions are so good.

I don't see it as a vanity project at all. It was a world class SELF FINANCED entertainment venue. If people don't care it's because too few people in this region care about anything anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast