Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Great Heat Wave of 2020 - How are you staying Cool?

There seems there is no end in sight after over a week of 90+ and today's heat index projected to hit 100. So what are you doing to stay cool? Turning on your hydrants?
    Name:  hydrant.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  65.9 KB
    Today's timeless front page picture from the Free Press could have the same from many such days in the past.

Detroit opens 5 cooling centers amid high temps

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...88d9d5_1343728

Looks like a little break coming then back in the boiler.
    Name:  Detroit-heat.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  25.9 KB

Not well considering the power went out 15 hours ago and I haven't seen a DTE truck yet.

Sorry, but is the mid 90s really a newsworthy 'heat wave'? I remember that being fairly common.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Not well considering the power went out 15 hours ago and I haven't seen a DTE truck yet.
    That's not really acceptable in an urban area unless there was widespread storm damage.

Out here in the sticks, generators are pretty much necessary because outages can run into days.

Lot hotter out here in southern Nevada; we'll be in the 110's plus all week. But the humidity is around 3%.....in other words, negligible. I'll take this over 90 and 66% humidity any time. Anyway, stay cool, all of us!

Yeah .... I got 86, dewpoint of 74 and humidity of 67% at the moment and it ain't even noon yet. My sweat drops are sweating.

The Great Heat Wave of 2020 - How are you staying Cool?

I'm going to heed the advice given to me by several forum members. Drive out to Belle Isle, and go soak my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Lot hotter out here in southern Nevada; we'll be in the 110's plus all week. But the humidity is around 3%.....in other words, negligible. I'll take this over 90 and 66% humidity any time. Anyway, stay cool, all of us!
    Doesn't the annual monsoon ever get up into Vegas? It hits Phoenix at the hottest part of the year, every year, sending humidity soaring. The thunderstorms are like out of a SciFi movie.

It gets so hot there that rear-view mirrors melt off the windshields. When it happened to me I looked around and noticed all the other missing mirrors. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Sorry, but is the mid 90s really a newsworthy 'heat wave'? I remember that being fairly common.
    I don't actually remember it for such an extended period. It's been about 10 days now and other than a couple of days in the high 80's this weekend, it supposed to continue for another 2 or 3 weeks.

The Great Heat Wave of 2020 - How are you staying Cool?

Name:  ++++.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  8.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Doesn't the annual monsoon ever get up into Vegas? It hits Phoenix at the hottest part of the year, every year, sending humidity soaring. The thunderstorms are like out of a SciFi movie.

We get maybe only two or three during the monsoon season, but it seems to dry up right away. But the rains also cool down the temps, so it's pretty much a trade off over here. We also don't get the dust storms like AZ does now and then.

Dickinson's brand Witch Hazel!

Perfect for keeping the skin clean, cool and fresh. Apply to cotton pads or balls -- rub it on, especially neck and face! Old time product great for sweaty heat -- not as medicinal, dying or hard to find as rubbing alcohol can be.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-08-20 at 12:30 PM.

Michigan winters are a long slog in and slog out, so I think we just have a hard time adapting to the few short hot weeks of summer when they come.

Personally, I try not to complain as my body, bones and hair prefer the heat and humidity. I just don't tolerate sweating as well though anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't actually remember it for such an extended period. It's been about 10 days now and other than a couple of days in the high 80's this weekend, it supposed to continue for another 2 or 3 weeks.

I lived in the sticks for almost 40 years and we had less outages there than we do here the 'burbs. Granted,sometimes we were out for a few days up there, but not as often as this area.
    That's not really acceptable in an urban area unless there was widespread storm damage.

Out here in the sticks, generators are pretty much necessary because outages can run into days.

Been close to 30 years now, but all I remember in the Metro area was two seasons, Winter and Julgust.

Amateurs

Name:  2ED0FDEA-7D03-49F6-8F5D-7BA22250ECAD.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  72.6 KB

^ How's about that. Now that some heat! Us Michi folks just can't take it! LOL!

**** Five stars for that on Med! Winter and Julgust! That's about right!

That's why we whine so. But my hair is loving it. Bring on the humidity!

Been close to 30 years now, but all I remember in the Metro area was two seasons, Winter and Julgust.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ How's about that. Now that some heat! Us Michi folks just can't take it! LOL!
    it does take a bit of getting used to. I’m surprised that I have....more or less.

The summer of 1988 was the hottest I can remember. It was smoking from the end of April until the middle of September. There were a record 36 days of 90+ temps in 88. The highest temp recorded that year was 103 on June 25th. There were 17 days in August that reached 90 or higher. Made me install central air in my house. I believe it was one of the hottest summers ever recorded in Michigan, behind 1936.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-08-20 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I believe it was one of the hottest summers ever recorded in Michigan, behind 1936.
    I was born in October of 1936. Mom told me many times that the heat during her pregnancy was pure torture for her. No A/C in the home at that time, of course. Me? I just remember being very comfortable..........

90 is fairly common in a Detroit summer [[about 10 days a year) ..... mid-90s is more noteworthy.

It does remind me of an anecdote from when I was living in Cincinnati. Cincinnati has about the same climate as Detroit, except about 2 degrees warmer [[and also more consistently humid) in the summer, and 5-6 degrees warmer in the winter.

Anyway, one day in June I have the TV on the background. A sporting event ends, the local news comes on. BREAKING NEWS ALERT!!!!!!!! to start the broadcast. What could it be?

Oh, the temperature is supposed to hit 90 tomorrow. Not 95, or 100, or 105. But 90. And that was breaking news!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The summer of 1988 was the hottest I can remember. It was smoking from the end of April until the middle of September. There were a record 36 days of 90+ temps in 88. The highest temp recorded that year was 103 on June 25th. There were 17 days in August that reached 90 or higher. Made me install central air in my house. I believe it was one of the hottest summers ever recorded in Michigan, behind 1936.
    I second 1988. Not only was it hot, but we kept waiting for a storm that never came. It was so dry everyone's lawn was yellow. If I remember correctly, we even had some odd/even watering days in some cities. Went out to South Dakota in August that year, and it was even worse than here. The family that owned the campground in The Badlands actually came out and danced because it rained for 10 minutes....the first time all year. This weather makes your golf ball roll a long way....i like that.
    Last edited by Bong-Man; July-09-20 at 01:05 PM.

I've noticed a lot more above ground intex pools in my hood. When we had our pool opened in May our guy said they are booked out through September. Liner replacements and in-ground installs. Mine was put in back in the 70's and I didn't really think people invested in in-ground pools in the Great Lakes. He said I'd be surprised.

Gone are the days of cheap getaway homes on a lake up north. People are now pouring money into making their primary homes function as stay-cation homes.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I've noticed a lot more above ground intex pools in my hood. When we had our pool opened in May our guy said they are booked out through September. Liner replacements and in-ground installs. Mine was put in back in the 70's and I didn't really think people invested in in-ground pools in the Great Lakes. He said I'd be surprised.

Gone are the days of cheap getaway homes on a lake up north. People are now pouring money into making their primary homes function as stay-cation homes.
    Seriously? Look on Google earth. In some neighborhoods every 2nd or 3rd home has an in ground pool. All outdoor living items from pools to bicycles
    to kayaks have sold like crazy this year due to the pandemic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast