Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 3800 Woodward Ave

Hi,

I'm considering renting an apartment in the Plaza building at 3800 Woodward. Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about this property? I'll be relocating from NYC so I'm just trying to get more information before I come to view the apartment.

Thanks.

It's a newly done project so everything should be brand new.

Excellent cocktails in the Hammer and Nail bar on ground level. They have a nice outdoor area on the 70's style plaza. Fair amount of trees though, so its comfortable.

Good luck!

That former office buildings main tenant [[or one of them) was the local Carpenters Union, which accounts for the "Hammer and Nail" name... representing the neon that used to be located at the top of the building.

At one point it was scheduled to be demolished [[back circa 2012-2013 era), because a group of physicians wanted to put up a 5 story medical building. Back the I complained that it would be an awful waste to destroy such an interesting mid 20th century midrise building. Fortunately the medical building was scrapped, but the 12 story tower found a new life renovated and converted to residential.

One thing is certain... the building does have magnificent views of the surrounding areas of Downtown, Midtown and New Center... the areas of Detroit that are booming.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/10/1...ilding-midtown

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Good luck!

That former office buildings main tenant [[or one of them) was the local Carpenters Union, which accounts for the "Hammer and Nail" name... representing the neon that used to be located at the top of the building.

At one point it was scheduled to be demolished [[back circa 2012-2013 era), because a group of physicians wanted to put up a 5 story medical building. Back the I complained that it would be an awful waste to destroy such an interesting mid 20th century midrise building. Fortunately the medical building was scrapped, but the 12 story tower found a new life renovated and converted to residential.

One thing is certain... the building does have magnificent views of the surrounding areas of Downtown, Midtown and New Center... the areas of Detroit that are booming.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/10/1...ilding-midtown
    The views are great. I'm a little concerned that the windows can't be opened. But I'm still interested. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Welcome to the D! 😃

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    Welcome to the D! 😃
    Thanks. It'll be good to come home.

Quote Originally Posted by garyalex View Post
    The views are great. I'm a little concerned that the windows can't be opened. But I'm still interested. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
    Non-opening windows would be a concern for me as well, but might not be a deal breaker. Saving that building was a great win for the area.

Yeah I'd hate not being able to open windows fully or even a window-panel. Hope the air conditioning does not go out!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-09-20 at 05:53 AM.

Hammer and Nail is a great cocktail bar. I went there often pre-quarantine. I know they have expanded out into the plaza area outside. I look forward to going back there soon!