Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cass Technical HS Not Planning on Changing its name...

https://www.wxyz.com/news/america-in...0Lewis%20Cass.

Detroit’s Cass Tech was named for a slave owner. Should this name change too?
    https://www.bridgemi.com/urban-affai...ame-change-too
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-05-20 at 09:54 AM.

This is the right call, but something tells me they'll bow to the mob pressures shortly. Men such as Lewis Cass should be honored for their great accomplishments and only judged by the moral standards of the times in which they lived.

If not, where does it stop? One of the greatest Americns to have ever lived, George Washington himself owned slaves when he was only 11 years old and until his own death. Are we going to strike his face off of Mt. Rushmore and rename Washington D.C? In 120 years would it be right to tear down or rename places named after Martin Luther King Jr or Barack Obama because some of their views and actions aren't seen as acceptable to Americans in 2140?
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-05-20 at 11:53 AM.

Pretty soon even this will be banned. Is nothing sacred?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=219AYeeZjWw

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    This is the right call, but something tells me they'll bow to the mob pressures shortly. Men such as Lewis Cass should be honored for their great accomplishments and only judged by the moral standards of the times in which they lived.

If not, where does it stop? One of the greatest Americns to have ever lived, George Washington himself owned slaves when he was only 11 years old and until his own death. Are we going to strike his face off of Mt. Rushmore and rename Washington D.C? In 120 years would it be right to tear down or rename places named after Martin Luther King Jr or Barack Obama because some of their views and actions aren't seen as acceptable to Americans in 2040?
    I wonder when and how this is going to bight them in the ass. The pendulum swings both ways after all.

This is the right call, but something tells me they'll bow to the mob pressures shortly. Men such as Lewis Cass should be honored for their great accomplishments and only judged by the moral standards of the times in which they lived. ...snip...
    The statue 'deplatforming' has little to do with slavery or accomplishments. Its about being 'you'.

The whole 'woke' movement isn't quite what it seems. And I'm just beginning to understand what it is. So far, it mostly looks to me like a galvanizing action. Make people take sides. Are you with us, or against us. Oh, you're against us? So you're a racist. You are bad. Cancel you. I hate you because your racism is violent hate. And your racist because your system produces fewer black PhD physicists.

It doesn't matter what Cass did or didn't. It matters that wokesters want to control what 'you' can and can't express.

If we continue down this road of strict implementation, and orthodoxy, everything [[and there's quite alot) bearing Henry Fords name and Logo will need to go and, or be re-named! And fast!

People I'm talking to find this move or renaming and tearing down not a raging priority relative to black people day to day.

These actions have no immediate impact on social or economical level in our communities, and especially zero effect re. ending police misconduct at a policy ruling level.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-06-20 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    If we continue down this road of strict implementation all things [[and there's alot) bearing Henry Fords name will need to be re-named! And fast!

People I'm talking to and hearing find this move or renaming and tearing down statues not a priority relative to black people. These actions have no immediate impact on social or economical level in our communities, and especially zero effect re. ending police misconduct at a policy ruling level.
    Ford was a fan of Hitler's so he would be fine in the eyes of some people....

Hah! My HS now closed [[Murray-Wright - named after Phillip Murray and Wilbur Wright) would be ok I guess - they were just aviation pioneers......

But then I've not check out their backgrounds, soo..........

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Pretty soon even this will be banned. Is nothing sacred?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=219AYeeZjWw

I'm aware, having studied Ford and the history of FOMOCO deeply. He'd have to go by those taking down statues now.

I prefer to see certain statues removed rather than vandalized.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Including a number here. After all, we are not allowed to point out the failings of any historical figures. We just gloss over the odious aspects of Herr Ford. He was rich and that forgives all.

I think its high time we erect statues of Cornwallis and Benedict Arnold, or name forts after them. Before we fought them we were on their side after all. Let's just celebrate heritage!

only judged by the moral standards of the times in which they lived.
    Using that logic, you can excuse almost any heinous crime against humanity ever committed in human history prior to the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    ...I think its high time we erect statues of Cornwallis and Benedict Arnold, or name forts after them....
    Or just go all out and honor King George III. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Or just go all out and honor King George III. LOL!
    If it's about history, then where are the statues of Osama Bin Laden? He's a pretty significant historical figure. How on earth is anyone supposed to remember that 9/11 happened or learn about it except through a giant bronze statue of Osama Bin Laden prominently displayed in a public park?

Statues are the #1 way to learn about history, with "books" and "the Internet" in a distant second and third place. You gaze upon a statue and BOOM, you know history. That's how it works!

In some of these cases, I'd be content with their biographies and/or company histories being updated to be accurate and truthful instead of being whitewashed.

In the case of Ford, the family could issue a statement and place some sort of displays in the corporate lobbies.

I think we should ALWAYS point out the human failings of leaders and famous people. As Ben Franklin said in "1776':"what will posterity think we were–demigods? We’re men–no more, no less"
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Including a number here. After all, we are not allowed to point out the failings of any historical figures. We just gloss over the odious aspects of Herr Ford. He was rich and that forgives all.

I think its high time we erect statues of Cornwallis and Benedict Arnold, or name forts after them. Before we fought them we were on their side after all. Let's just celebrate heritage!

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Using that logic, you can excuse almost any heinous crime against humanity ever committed in human history prior to the 21st century.

And using yours we'd be tearing down half the statues in the country, renaming several states, thousands of cities and even more roads and buildings. And who's to say that the next flavor of the day protesters wouldn't be offended by those with which we replaced them?
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-06-20 at 03:49 PM.

Would be a disaster for Cass tech.

So much cachet in that name. They'd have to start over, and grads would have to explain where their diploma is from, and that it's actually a well known school and such.

Also,. you have to wonder if anyone knew the origin of the name. If these morons hadn't brought it up,.. would anyone have known?

I think the most important thing we can do is cancel the Democratic Party, also known as the party of slavery, the party of segregation, of Jim Crow etc.

The DNC history makes the worst of these statue people seem like Mr. Rodgers.

The DNC is moving away from the past and trying to change. The RNC is moving towards the past and embracing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The DNC is moving away from the past and trying to change. The RNC is moving towards the past and embracing it.
    Amen to that... November 3 will likely be a day of reckoning... with the COVID-19 spiraling out of control... lots of people [[especially those who lost loved ones to the virus) are going to remember on November 3... and that memory may go down the list of candidates. The Republicans could end up on the losing end like they have never been before.

A lot of folks [[like Bigdd) will have their heads explode when the reality hits. And then come Jan. 21st... the world will not end as so many brainwashed Trumpsters think... we will get back to becoming the moral compass to the world, and making amends to our European allies that we alienated, and tell Putin and Xi that the honeymoon is over....

^^ I'm not betting on any of that. I don't trust polls, pundits or prognosticators.

Anything is possible. Literally anything.

We could be in the midst of a damn sea war with China by then.

^^ I'm not betting on any of that. I don't trust polls, pundits or prognosticators.

Provided we don't have COVID-19 epidemics again on the Navy ships...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Amen to that... November 3 will likely be a day of reckoning... with the COVID-19 spiraling out of control... lots of people [[especially those who lost loved ones to the virus) are going to remember on November 3... and that memory may go down the list of candidates. The Republicans could end up on the losing end like they have never been before.

A lot of folks [[like Bigdd) will have their heads explode when the reality hits. And then come Jan. 21st... the world will not end as so many brainwashed Trumpsters think... we will get back to becoming the moral compass to the world, and making amends to our European allies that we alienated, and tell Putin and Xi that the honeymoon is over....
    I'm certainly hoping the U.S. gets back to some sense of normality but I'm surprised you would actually think it's been the moral compass to the world. If it was, it certainly hasn't been for a long time, and I doubt many people in the world would ever consider it that again. The Canadians I know, many of whom have immigrated from countries all over the world, have a very low opinion of American morals due to the racism, crime, gun culture, health care, poverty, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm certainly hoping the U.S. gets back to some sense of normality but I'm surprised you would actually think it's been the moral compass to the world. If it was, it certainly hasn't been for a long time, and I doubt many people in the world would ever consider it that again. The Canadians I know, many of whom have immigrated from countries all over the world, have a very low opinion of American morals due to the racism, crime, gun culture, health care, poverty, etc.
    I have friends and relatives in Germany, UK and Italy that would differ from your assessment. Maybe your being next door makes us more negatively newsworthy.

And I meant more being the defenders of freedom elsewhere... although even that has caveats.

Shhhhh. Don't spoil November. Mr. Biden has it in the bag. He doesn't need to campaign,.. or have a platform of any sort. In fact, Democrat voters really don't even really need to go to the polls.

In a sea war, China's Navy would be at the bottom of the ocean in an afternoon.

But I think a number of us have jacked this thread way off Detroit. My apologies for my part in that.
    Last edited by Bigdd; July-06-20 at 10:23 PM.

We honor people for the significant good they did in support of our communities, despite their flaws. We aren't honoring the flaws. Anyways, everyone has flaws - let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I know...quoting Jesus; dangerous stuff! He once knocked over the tables of the money lenders in a church; can you believe that? Those poor, innocent, downtrodden money lenders were just trying to earn a living!

Consider:

-Columbus gets a statue because he helped usher in the development of the Western hemisphere, even if he wasn't a model territorial governor.

-Washington gets his face on a mountain because he played a critical role in securing and shaping the Republic, even if he was among the large number of people who owned slaves at the time.

-Lewis Cass gets a statue [[and a high school!) because he was an early statesmen from Michigan, even if he was among the large number of people who owned slaves at the time.

And, this works both ways:

-MLK gets a statue because he led a non-violent civil rights movement, even if he plagiarized his thesis and cheated on his wife.

- Joe Louis gets a fist in the center of town because he was a champion athlete from Detroit, even if he literally beat people's faces in for a living.

So, relax, everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast