Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Systemic Racism of Detroit Yes

Today I read yet one more post full of vitriol, inflammatory language, and ignorance.

A post designed to inflame racial and political tension.

Its not the first, the second or the fiftieth, or hundredth or thousandth.

It was disgusting and disheartening the first time; and has become all the more sickening since.

I have reported posts, and posters.

Again and again, I hear excuses for why their posts and they should be allowed a platform.

Why they should be allowed to spew their bile.

Its about 'free speech' [[It is not, the U.S. constitution does not guarantee anyone a right to speak on a privately owned platform, anymore than someone has right to do so in your house).

I've heard that some posters aren't all that bad, if you just get to know them.

These would be people who demean and devalue their fellow Americans and humans based on race, sexual orientation, and political affiliation.

So much so, that in today's post, a suggestion was made that the political left wants more dead black people...........

Just WOW!.

That's not a political position. Its not a matter of partisanship or preference.

Its a matter of blind hatred and nothing else.

I've heard that its difficult to moderate this forum.

But I don't know any other forum of this type where this BS is tolerated.

Its not particularly challenging to ban someone from a forum.

Doing so but a few times would clean this place right up.

So that people who care about Detroit can thoughtfully discuss its future [[and disagree at times).

But the choice has been consciously made to accept racism, homophobia, misogyny, and xenophobia here.

Its not forgivable or excusable. It has doubtless led many more people down the path of racism and hate; and of division.

While a causal link can't be established, I have little doubt the intolerance allowed to fester and multiply here has resulted in real life discrimination.

It is truly shameful.

Rational voices here are shouted down by people who think murdering blacks is ok; and that blind hatred of political opponents is fine.

It wasn't, it isn't, it never will be; and those who clearly believe otherwise should be shamed and left to stew in their own basements, alone, without an avenue to oppress others.

Saw that. I was at a loss for words.

While I'm unsure of what posts or posters you are referring to, in the nearly 15 years that I have been on this forum the level and balance of moderation has been remarkably good. Some things slide that wouldn't do so on other discussion forums, but IMO that's a positive more than a negative. I'd much rather have the current level of moderation than some some whitewashed echo chamber where threads constantly vanish and posters are banned based primarily on ideological differences.

That makes two of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Saw that. I was at a loss for words.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    While I'm unsure of what posts or posters you are referring to, in the nearly 15 years that I have been on this forum the level and balance of moderation has been remarkably good. Some things slide that wouldn't do so on other discussion forums, but IMO that's a positive more than a negative. I'd much rather have the current level of moderation than some some whitewashed echo chamber where threads constantly vanish and posters are banned based primarily on ideological differences.
    I don't seek to ban people for their political preference or party of choice; nor for holding a minority point of view.

Echo chambers are worthless and diversity of view points is welcome.

That's not what's at issue here.

Its open hatred, racism, and the extent of it here, including some posters for whom the majority of their posts could be so described.

I have sent you a private message with the post that set me off today for the simple reason I'm not going to give that sleaze anymore platform than he has now.

Pull up a chair and join us....

Last edited by Bong-Man; June-30-20 at 05:19 PM.

Agree 100%. I enjoy reading everyone's opinion, even the most extreme ones that I strongly disagree with. I have a brain and I can decide for myself which posts I agree/disagree with, I don't need canadian visitor to decide what I am allowed to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    I have reported posts, and posters.
    No idea what you're rambling on about, but the Report button is not for you to try to censor the board to your whims. It's for rule violations such as Spam.

Absolutely agree with all of the above. Moderates in this group do an excellent job.

I've only been coming on here about once a week for the last few months, but even I was able to guess from your description which poster you were talking about. I've definitely noticed that person as well as two other regular posters say some pretty ignorant and racist stuff.

I used to go on a different Detroit related forum a couple years ago and there was a poster on there that would regularly post similar racist things until he got banned. I have wondered a few times if that guy is one these posters on Detroit Yes.
    Last edited by Justin SOD; June-30-20 at 10:26 PM.

Gee. I go away for a few days and all hell breaks loose while I'm gone! ----
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-30-20 at 10:47 PM.

So long as we don't devolve into THROWING pink chairs, the mods manage this site very well. Once in a while a real zinger get thru for a minute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvkusAI9DM

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pr43ScAi18

Pull up a chair and join us....
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-01-20 at 06:02 AM.

Canadian Visitor -- I have no reason to question your characterization of a certain poster as being racist. How did you determine that the list itself is systemically racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    How did you determine that the list itself
    List? What list?

CV's got his puck in a tizzy because a post he didn't like hasn't been deleted as quickly as he wanted, if at all. Apparently to him that means the site owner's endorse the post in question rather than just letting members speak their mind.

I used to manage a website with a forum for politics in Warren. The amount of respect I have for our humble host is great. He's created quite a community where folks are generally free to say what they want. This community is much larger and much longer lasting than the community I built. It goes to show that our host is doing something right.

Without examples I can't give my opinion on whether the commentary ought to be moderated and the user banned. Not that anyone was looking for my opinion

Lowell does a great job of keeping the "Discuss Detroit" side of the forum tight and clean; CV's issue is with the "Non-Detroit" side of things, which is by design allowed to get pretty raucous. I will agree that sometimes it does get out of hand over on that side and people tend to get downright mean and the name calling and the nationality baiting get petty.
    Last edited by jcole; July-01-20 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    No idea what you're rambling on about, but the Report button is not for you to try to censor the board to your whims. It's for rule violations such as Spam.
    Have you not read the Rules for Participation for this forum?

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/faq.ph...q#faq_therules

This forum is for polite, thoughtful discussion and inquiries only. Entries that are abusive, off subject, silly, trivial containing personal attacks, name-calling, threats, libels, illegal activities, or hate group messages will be removed without notice or explanation upon discovery.
    So yes, if someone's posting openly racist things, that's a violation of Lowell's [[unenforced) rules since it would presumably fall under the category of "hate group messages." Theoretically...
    Last edited by aj3647; July-01-20 at 12:02 PM.

The original and primary purpose of this forum is to Discuss Detroit, meaning all topics relating to the international Detroit-Windsor family of communities surrounding the Straits of Detroit.

As this online community evolved over its now 20+ years of existence, it was found necessary to create the Non-Detroit forum when politics and other non-Detroit topics began distracting from those core discussions. Such topics proved disruptive and confusing to newcomers, and frustrating to veteran members who came here for the purely Detroit discussions.

A prime example is this topic, which has absolutely nothing to do with Discussing Detroit, being created in Discuss Detroit and, after being reported as such, moved here to Non-Detroit.

The essence of the rules of participation are pretty simple, absolutely no name-calling of other members, no threats or innuendos of violence, no needling ad hominem attacks. Those constitute 98% of the violations we are forced to deal with.

Newbies who do so are gone and all posts are wiped. Veteran members are allowed to have a bad day, but will get tossed in the penalty box with a temporary ban and the offending statement clearly cited and their post deleted but, even for them, it is three strikes and you're out.

Put yourself in our shoes. We want an informed discussion of all things Detroit. The last thing we want to do is to spend time dealing with these matters and take flak from all sides as we often get.

We know that there will be differences of opinions and we try as best we can to allow every side to respectfully [hopefully] voice their views. If one wishes to hear voices that only agree with theirs, this is not the place. Personally I like to hear opinions other than mine.

Finally thanks to the many who use the "Report Post" function to alert us violations and stop the fires from spreading. Please also note, as you likely have noticed, that if a violative post is removed, all posts referring to the offending post will also be removed, even if the responding posts are not offensive.

Enjoy, carry on, and please try to be kind and tolerant of each other. Thank you.

How to never be Angry again | Rabbi Dr. Abraham Twerski

Hope that helped.

Ignore 'em. I have had to resort to that option.

Again and again, I hear excuses for why their posts and they should be allowed a platform.
    It's not hard to figure out really. The White Supremacists who post here post A LOT. That translates into site traffic and "clicks" for Lowell, which translates into more revenue into his pocket from the embedded ads on this site [[30% off everything at Bonobos!). Same reason why Twitter won't ban Trump despite repeated violations of their TOS.

Lowell doesn't care if his website turns into Storm Front Yes.com as long as the money flows into his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    ... Lowell doesn't care if his website turns into ..........Yes.com as long as the money flows into his pocket.
    Nice puzzle! I thought I guessed the censored word correctly until I clicked Reply With Quote which blurted out the censored word[[s) in plaintext. LOL! [[I guessed wrong.)

Edit: What? It's not censored now? Where's the fun in that?
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-02-20 at 12:08 PM.

Outrage is attractive...

it's a game of made you look.

Rational voices here are shouted down by people who think murdering blacks is ok; and that blind hatred of political opponents is fine.

It wasn't, it isn't, it never will be; and those who clearly believe otherwise should be shamed and left to stew in their own basements, alone, without an avenue to oppress others.
    You have special powers if you know what people think. Maybe you at least could provide examples of things people have written here that make you think that they think that "murdering blacks is ok".

It would be a good idea to keep Joe Biden in his basement though.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    You have special powers if you know what people think. Maybe you at least could provide examples of things people have written here that make you think that they think that "murdering blacks is ok".

I think what CV MEANT to say was;

'Marxists here are shouted down by people who think it's NOT OK to murder blacks just to gain political power.'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast