Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 275 Merton - the Coronado

my very first apartment, back in the 80's, was in the Coronado apartment building @ 275 Merton in Palmer Park. The apartment was gorgeous with a huge living room, oak floors throughout, and a leaded-glass door from the living room to the rest of the apartment. the kitchen was small but there was and arch with two glass-door shelves facing the dining area. the bathroom was epic with oh-so-current subway tile on the walls and a separate shower stall. another way-cool feature because apartment was on the 4th floor, was a "flower box[[?)" outside of the living room window that we could sit in [[in '84, we climbed out into the box to listen to all the celebrations when the tigers won the world series.)

i heard a few years ago that the Coronado was pretty much abandoned and derelict. but, i just happened to google it and saw that it's alive and fully occupied which is wonderful to hear.

but the pictures of the current condos/apartments broke my heart. they've all been - shall we way HGTV'd. gone are the plaster walls, the leaded glass doors, the oak floors, and even the subway tile and separate shower from the bathroom. https://www.apartments.com/275-merto...it-mi/p43prgs/

i'm very glad the building was saved and is "alive" again but does anyone know when/by whom/why it was converted to such modern design and if any of the old, gorgeous apartments still exist in the building?

https://shelbornedevelopment.com/indexpp

I'm believe it's owned by Shelbourne Development. The woman who owns it has done some pretty incredible renovations of apartment buildings in Palner Park, New Center/ North End, Jefferson Chalmers and a few other areas. I don't know what condition the Coronado was in before the reno but usually SD tries to save whatever historic aspect a bidding has. Either way she's the only one renovating apartments over there and I love her for that. I also heard shes trying to change the zoning for one building to mixed use and creat a more neighborhood feel, I thinks it's the Alwyne Lane building.