Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Proposed 16-story mixed-use building at Gratiot and Brush

This one somehow flew under the radar and just popped up as a brownfield application on the DEGC Facebook Page.

Here is the full link to the brownfield application.

Facebook Post

A few screencaps from the application.

Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 4857
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  Capture3.jpg
Views: 2526
Size:  69.7 KB
    Last edited by JonWylie; June-11-20 at 09:43 AM.

Here's hoping.... it's an empty parking block right now... nothing would be razed, and density would be increased....

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3357...7i16384!8i8192

oooh! This is great!

There's gonna be some serious development in that area with the University of Michigan campus.

It's nice to see a new rendering of something in Detroit. I missed that feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It's nice to see a new rendering of something in Detroit. I missed that feeling!
    Not a fan of the architecture, as I believe it will age rather poorly. But do like the location and density.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Not a fan of the architecture, as I believe it will age rather poorly. But do like the location and density.
    In fairness I think most modern architecture being built today will not age well. Aesthetically atleast. If only we could bring back the days of Louis Sullivan

I would be interested to know if the timeline has been pushed back at all. I noticed in that brownfield application that they were targeting a Summer 2020 start of construction with finishing it up in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by ILKSGAMI View Post
    I would be interested to know if the timeline has been pushed back at all. I noticed in that brownfield application that they were targeting a Summer 2020 start of construction with finishing it up in 2021.
    It looks like it will be using Barton Malow's "LIFTBuild" company, which appears to be some kind of modular form of fast construction.
    Last edited by EGrant; June-11-20 at 12:56 PM.

I really hope this succeeds. This is EXACTLY the type of development that Detroit needs: mid-rise infill on an open parking lot. As much as I love impressive, tall skyscrapers that help define a unique skyline, I would rather see 10 of these than one Hudson Tower.

When we start to see regular developments like this filling in all the empty space, only then will we know Detroit's real estate has turned a corner and is starting to be financially self-sustaining.

There is a 13 story building that just skyrocketed up in Grand Rapids with a similar build technique. Assemble large slabs off site and then put together like legos. Hopefully this project does something along the same lines.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/t...e/40/#comments

Looks great. I’m glad there’s no demolition necessary and it gets rid of a surface lot. It looks like the old pawn shop on Gratiot and Randolph that’s currently vacant will be renovated as part of this project too. One less parking lot, one less empty building, a decent design and more infill downtown sounds good to me.

The building looks really nice and a big step for Greektown!! I'm crossing my fingers this project doesn't put on hold/stall. Downtown needs more buildings to full up these parking lots and we got too many of them, also I don't mind more new parking decks.

After COVID-19 that building will come true. Let's look are buyers.

I wouldn't worry about the design too much yet. It'll probably change before the final rendition actually starts being constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the design too much yet. It'll probably change before the final rendition actually starts being constructed.
    You're right, but never for the better. We refer to it as 'Value Engineering'. What you're seeing in the application is what the developers want to spend. Once this thing gets hard bid, materials, details and finishes will be curtailed. The one exception would be a dead construction market, then the trades fight over jobs and bids become more competitive.

There was a point about a year or so ago where it felt like there was a new development project announced every week and I was more likely to worry about the long-term architectural significance of every single render, but in today's climate I'd just be happy to see an empty lot transformed. Especially in an area with almost no residential buildings.

I feel like we still get a steady stream of announcements. That Godfrey hotel was just announced a month or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I feel like we still get a steady stream of announcements. That Godfrey hotel was just announced a month or so ago.
    I guess March was kinda sorta a month ago, yeah.

Hey! We're all losing track of time after corona.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Hey! We're all losing track of time after corona.
    Very true!

This project is back in the news. The brownfield plan was approved and the city council approved Neighborhood Enterprise Zone tax abatement. The developer is talking about starting construction before the end of the year. I am cautiously optimistic about this project. It looks like Barton Malow wants to showcase the liftbuild construction style.
    https://www.liftbuild.com/projects/exchange/
    https://eu.freep.com/story/money/bus...ng/5863733002/

Well, whenever it starts, it will rise quickly using that technique

The tight timeline is promising, we just need about 10 more buildings about this size going up within the next few years to keep up the momentum.

Infill will keep Detroit progressing more than halo projects.

Pleasantly surprised to see updates on this. And “cautiously” optimistic.

There is still way way too much infill needed. Due to the unique construction I’d love to follow this going up.

For comparison the building that once stood on that corner.

Designed by Albert Kahn, Ernest Wilby Associate for the Dodge Brothers. Owen & Company Furniture Building, 350 Gratiot built in 1909 Downtown, Detroit, MI. Includes an article featuring the building from a 1909 edition of the Detroit Free Press.

Image from a brochure for Bryant-Detwlier Construction Company, circa 1921.
    Demolished: date unknown to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast