Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default The Protest in Detroit

Why are all these suburban kids coming to Detroit to vandalize and cost the city resources for their civil disobedience and crimes?

Do they not give a shit about the citizens of Detroit and want to send their city and government down an economic hell hole yet again?

I can’t wrap my brain around how some think going to a predominantly black city to vandalize shit shows support for black Americans. Do it where you work and live if you think that is the way to support them.

For a second night in a row the arrests at the Detroit protest were predominately suburban.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...it/5299618002/
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-31-20 at 04:02 PM.

I know that you know anyone who comes to riot and throw crap through windows and at cops doesn't care about a city or its citizens. There's nothing in common between those, both black and white, who are demonstrating peacefully during the day and those idiots who come out after dark. It's pretty much the same thing happening in every city.

Detroit is not unique in this respect... looks like a lot of the people are white folk causing the trouble in other cities across the country... Are these MAGA folks, or some other group? Curious to find out...

Nothing in common between Anarchists and Anti-Fascist either. At least by definition.

The disrespect to a predominantly black city like Detroit continues and only gets worse as it is used as a battlefield.

If the vandals are leftest, their priorities are screwed up. If they are from the far right, they are getting away with using the protesters as their pawns. If that is indeed the case, the protesters need to stop letting the alt-right from using them to further their agenda.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-31-20 at 05:29 PM.

Some are antifa, Democratic brown shirts. Read the reports from other cities. Some are protesters, and some just want to parrr-tay! Your basic green kool-aid kids.

I hope that Detroit can get a handle on these events before it spirals into something much worse. If it is a bunch of non-residents being arrested, I'd love to see one of the papers do a story with their mug shots, full names and hometowns. Let their actions scar their reputations for life, just like the damage they're doing scars this city!
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-31-20 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Some are antifa, Democratic brown shirts. Read the reports from other cities. Some are protesters, and some just want to parrr-tay! Your basic green kool-aid kids.
    Thanks,

Sounds like things are spiraling out of control in some areas, such as urban areas of California. I hope Detroit will avoid the carnage we're seeing elsewhere. Usually Detroit becomes the spotlight, and none of us want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I hope that Detroit can get a handle on these events before it spirals into something much worse. If it is a bunch of non-residents being arrested, I'd love to see one of the papers do a story with their mug shots, full names and hometowns. Let their actions scar their reputations for life, just like the damage they're doing scars this city!
    Yeah, let's see pages of them, right up there with the obituaries and covid victims.

I am damn proud of Detroit this week. While the police have no doubt escalated things at times and while protesters have been far from peaceful at times, look at the rest of America. We have not dealt with anything close to NYC, DC, Chicago, LA, etc. I want to see Chief Craig and his leadership team directly engage with protest organizers this week. There is a real opportunity to end the violence if both sides communicate clearly.

My neighborhood on the East side has really rallied this weekend to look out for each other and keep things positive. As a white family we are the minority here, but we are not out of touch with the realities of the plight of minorities in our greater society. We 100% support the purpose of the peaceful protest, and we hope they will result in a more safe community for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks,

Sounds like things are spiraling out of control in some areas, such as urban areas of California. I hope Detroit will avoid the carnage we're seeing elsewhere. Usually Detroit becomes the spotlight, and none of us want that.

Someone posted this on the other forum. A bit of insight into who's doing what. Not sure what the end game is.

https://conservativefighters.org/new...l-for-rioters/

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...rn-minneapolis
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-01-20 at 04:19 AM.

Pretty much all of the protests across the country have been in the downtowns of major cities.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    Pretty much all of the protests across the country have been in the downtowns of major cities.
    Those that have turned violent have been, but there were peaceful protests in many smaller communities over the last few days. I know Ferndale and Livonia both saw protests yesterday afternoon and I'm sure there were many others.

Yes. Fridays downtown Detroit protest was started by those peacefully marching, many wearing masks. Over in the early evening.

Then came other groups, later into the night, very few masks... wild and had to be responded to fast!
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-01-20 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks,

I think Chief Craig and DPD has done a good job. Detroit hasn't seen the looting and burning, as other cities have.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-02-20 at 08:17 PM.

"Detroit Police said 144 people were arrested Friday into early Sunday, with the majority of them from the metro Detroit suburbs. Only 44 of those arrested lived in Detroit, police said, at least one person was from Tennessee and another was from Ohio."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ts/5301919002/

I too am puzzled why the DPD would be the target of protest and its cost laid on the stressed coffers of the City of Detroit. I also wonder how many of those arrested suburbanites may actually live in Detroit but are keeping their suburban identities to avoid taxes and higher insurance rates.

At the very least one of suburban PD's where past abuse has occurred or the MSP, one of whose officers gunned the kid on the RV, would seem like more appropriate targets.

Detroit is so fortunate to have the level-headed Chief Craig, but far the best police chief that I have seen over the decades.

It is also encouraging to see the multi-racial/ethnic character of the peaceful protests. It shows that the abuses and inequalities of our society is finally dawning across our society as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    "Detroit Police said 144 people were arrested Friday into early Sunday, with the majority of them from the metro Detroit suburbs. Only 44 of those arrested lived in Detroit, police said, at least one person was from Tennessee and another was from Ohio."

I too am puzzled why the DPD would be the target of protest and its cost laid on the stressed coffers of the City of Detroit. I also wonder how many of those arrested suburbanites may actually live in Detroit but are keeping their suburban identities to avoid taxes and higher insurance rates.

At the very least one of suburban PD's where past abuse has occurred or the MSP, one of whose officers gunned the kid on the RV, would seem like more appropriate targets.

Detroit is so fortunate to have the level-headed Chief Craig, but far the best police chief that I have seen over the decades.

It is also encouraging to see the multi-racial/ethnic character of the peaceful protests. It shows that the abuses and inequalities of our society is finally dawning across our society as a whole.

There is no motive by the rioters, other than a desire to smash windows and partake in destructive behavior. That is what these people are, opportunists who want to go out and “have an exciting night”. They see the protests as an opportunity to go out and smash things up. These people unfortunately come from all political beliefs, far left, far right, and everywhere in between. But it is the pure destructiveness they crave, and they are using the protests as an avenue to implement their destructive desires.

Don’t read too far into it. Conspiracies like to make it sound like they are organized, and human nature thinks they are justifying their cause. Neither is really true. The “organization” is nothing more than a few idiots calling/messaging each other and saying “hey let’s go to ___ tonight and smash some things up.” Their message has little to do with the BLM either, they just needed something to attach to.

The people pursuing a cause are the daytime protestors, who went home at the end of the rally. Those that remained are either destructive opportunists or curious onlookers, both of whom are too simple minded to see the bigger picture. But don’t read too far into the motives or organization of rioters, they are just in it for the entertainment.
    Last edited by Atticus; June-01-20 at 09:49 AM.

I see it as a nationwide statement 'we've had enough, the system must change'. They feel the need to get the attention of every government official everywhere. This may have been a local incident, but the news pages have been chock full of similar stories for decades. And with the Demon essentially endorsing police violence and even encouraging it, people are screaming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Another thing to consider is that Chief Craig is only disclosing the numbers for those who were actually arrested. I wonder if there has been any attempt to influence those numbers by giving Detroit residents warnings while arresting those from out of town?

It appears that there are two further protests scheduled for today in the city.

One at 2:30 at LCA and one at 4 at DPD HQ. Another 4 PM protest will also take place at Livonia City Hall.

Yeah, there was some riot-like actions in downtown Detroit the last three nights, but fortunately nothing on the scale of what happened in Grand Rapids, and even Toledo and Lansing.

The door at Lafayette Coney Island did get smashed during the demonstrations. Seen here from a Freep livestream last night:

There are also protests in Royal Oak and Rochester Hills today at 4pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    It appears that there are two further protests scheduled for today in the city.

One at 2:30 at LCA and one at 4 at DPD HQ. Another 4 PM protest will also take place at Livonia City Hall.

Yeah, there was some riot-like actions in downtown Detroit the last three nights, but fortunately nothing on the scale of what happened in Grand Rapids, and even Toledo and Lansing.

The door at Lafayette Coney Island did get smashed during the demonstrations. Seen here from a Freep livestream last night:

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I see it as a nationwide statement 'we've had enough, the system must change'. They feel the need to get the attention of every government official everywhere. This may have been a local incident, but the news pages have been chock full of similar stories for decades. And with the Demon essentially endorsing police violence and even encouraging it, people are screaming out.
    There's many factors at play here, but I would never under-estimate yours. There are exceptions, but most of the night-time protesters appear to be of a very young age. Put yourself in a 19 year old's shoes during this mess...no job, no money, living with Mom & Dad, dating prospects might be dim, and the future doesn't look very bright at all. Throw in 3 months of isolation, which is an eternity at that age, add some old fashioned racism, a generational disconnect with the man in charge, add some nice weather to the mix, and Voila ! There's a riot goin' on.

Look at the positive...in a couple weeks we're really going to know if this virus is as contagious as they claim, and we've got our least affected group out there, the young, to test things out. We've found our human guinea pigs and coal mine canaries !

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Look at the positive...in a couple weeks we're really going to know if this virus is as contagious as they claim, and we've got our least affected group out there, the young, to test things out. We've found our human guinea pigs and coal mine canaries !
    Except that they'll be fine. If they are living at home, it's their parents, grandparents & others that will end up as the guinea pigs.

Windows are being boarded up right now downtown. We've been relatively calm but looks like they're not taking any chances.

Just wanna say I'm praying everybody in Michigan stays safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    There's many factors at play here, but I would never under-estimate yours. There are exceptions, but most of the night-time protesters appear to be of a very young age. Put yourself in a 19 year old's shoes during this mess...no job, no money, living with Mom & Dad, dating prospects might be dim, and the future doesn't look very bright at all. Throw in 3 months of isolation, which is an eternity at that age, add some old fashioned racism, a generational disconnect with the man in charge, add some nice weather to the mix, and Voila ! There's a riot goin' on.

Like button please!

Troy is getting ready for protests outside of Sommerset Mall. Because the best place to protest police violence is outside of an empty shopping mall full of expensive merchandise?

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...ay/5310829002/

Honestly I'm sympathetic to the cause, and all for peaceful protests, but what the hell is the point of this?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast