Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fireworks on tv? In August?

This may be the one time I agree with everyone in the comments section - this is the dumbest thing yet.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...on/5228805002/

Yeah, I just saw this and would guess that there's a slim to none chance of it actually happening. If Covid19 is still a major issue in August there's no way the city will be able to keep crowds from trying to watch them in person, and if the outbreak is over by then there's little to no reason to not allow spectators. Either way, it's a completely illogical plan and my only assumption is there are financial repercussions if the fireworks don't go off, otherwise it just makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    This may be the one time I agree with everyone in the comments section - this is the dumbest thing yet.
    Complete waste of money. . . .unfortunately, somebody is collecting some of it. A youtube link is All that is required for anybody to watch, now or later, local or international, phone, TV, PC, laptop.

Besides Belle Isle and the Riverfront parks, people fill every streetcorner and highway overpass between downtown at I-94 to watch. I don't see any way that they can enforce the "no gathering" for this. It would probably be better to just cancel the whole thing.

One word....... Dumb!

Definitely a pipe dream!

They already do a 3 hour TV simulcast and contest for the fireworks every year; what's the big deal about this? Different date and no crowds. Instead of most of the people watching on TV and some downtown, it will be all watching it on TV
    Last edited by jcole; May-21-20 at 08:29 AM.

Fireworks on tv is underwhelming at best. Why not wait until June 30th to make the call?

Totally half baked idea. Even on a huge screen TV it’s nothing like seeing it in person.

Might not be as exciting, but this won't be the first fireworks on TV show. As I said above, Detroit does a 3 hour show on Channel 4 every year. Macy's also simulcasts AND does re-runs of the show on the 4th across the country. Somebody is watching these shows or they wouldn't have been on for at least the last 15-20 yrs
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Totally half baked idea. Even on a huge screen TV it’s nothing like seeing it in person.

Could they just CGI it? What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    They already do a 3 hour TV simulcast and contest for the fireworks every year; what's the big deal about this? Different date and no crowds. Instead of most of the people watching on TV and some downtown, it will be all watching it on TV
    Then why not just run another re-run? Plus if they want a longer show they can just add clips of the grand finales from few years in a row. LOL. It's not going to look much different and there's no risk or expense.

Something else in going on here.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-21-20 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Then why not just run another re-run? Plus if they want a longer show they can just add clips of the grand finales from few years in a row. LOL. It's not going to look much different and there's no risk or expense.
    They should! Do a live broadcast, and pull up old clips from broadcasts, interview some local celebs and news makers, show classic commercials, talk about the history of the event, etc. Then do a "greatest hits" show of all the best moments from the fireworks over the years

What difference does it make? Ford is funding the thing and if this is how they want it, so what? Also, by the end of August, there may be a change in all sorts of things, and they could allow a live show. It's Labor Day, so another holiday instead of the 4th.

Something else in going on here.

What difference does it make? Ford is funding the thing and if this is how they want it, so what? Also, by the end of August, there may be a change in all sorts of things, and they could allow a live show. It's Labor Day, so another holiday instead of the 4th.
    I'll refer to my earlier post.

"If Covid19 is still a major issue in August there's no way the city will be able to keep crowds from trying to watch them in person, and if the outbreak is over by then there's little to no reason to not allow spectators."

I'm not opposed to the fireworks and if things are good in August, then by all means have a live show! it just makes no sense to have them without spectators.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-21-20 at 11:29 AM.

Even if they "close" them, you will have people that live in or near the city able to watch and on the other side of the river. You will also have people driving down as close as they can get to see them . What I'm saying is they are televised every year anyway and I'm willing to bet more people watch them on TV than go downtown to see them live. And they earn revenue on those televised fireworks and singing competitions.

I'll refer to my earlier post.

"If Covid19 is still a major issue in August there's no way the city will be able to keep crowds from trying to watch them in person, and if the outbreak is over by then there's little to no reason to not allow spectators."

I'm not opposed to the fireworks and if things are good in August, then by all means have a live show! it just makes no sense to have them without spectators.

Even if they "close" them, you will have people that live in or near the city able to watch and on the other side of the river. You will also have people driving down as close as they can get to see them . What I'm saying is they are televised every year anyway and I'm willing to bet more people watch them on TV than go downtown to see them live. And they earn revenue on those televised fireworks and singing competitions.
    The point is, if you really don't want people seeing them live, then don't shoot them off. As others have stated, nobody would know the difference if they just did a highlight package from previous years for tv. Actually the would know because by definition a highlights show would be better than normal. Meanwhile a cash-strapped city would save money on policing.

I don't think it's a matter of "not wanting" people to see them live; it's a matter of keeping crowds from forming. I don't think Ford OR the city of Detroit is going to make people put up black out curtains if they can see them from their yards or porches. I also think this is largely for planning and so they can get the fireworks they want from whatever company it is that sells them and to get a date with the fireworks people in case they ARE allowed to have them in the usual fashion
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The point is, if you really don't want people seeing them live, then don't shoot them off. As others have stated, nobody would know the difference if they just did a highlight package from previous years for tv. Actually the would know because by definition a highlights show would be better than normal. Meanwhile a cash-strapped city would save money on policing.

But will they still have the Super Singer competition?! Better yet, will it be broadcast live on the radio?

^^^Radio? Anyway, I've been watching it on TV for sometime now...

Yes, they simulcast on one of the radio station so you can play the music that accompanies the fireworks without having the background chatter of Devin and company
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^Radio? Anyway, I've been watching it on TV for sometime now...

^^^I was being facetious in that you cannot see the 'works'.... [[smile).

Actually, I am a big fan of terrestrial radio - including AM. It's one of the few places you can find NON-PC news, broadcasts and good music.

Reminds us of the pandemic of 1918. Philadelphia, after their number of cases were way down, decided to have a parade. 200,000 people jammed the streets. Within days cases spiked and the hospitals became overloaded. If we don’t learn from the mistakes of the past we are bound to repeat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Reminds us of the pandemic of 1918. Philadelphia, after their number of cases were way down, decided to have a parade. 200,000 people jammed the streets. Within days cases spiked and the hospitals became overloaded. If we don’t learn from the mistakes of the past we are bound to repeat them.

"So, that’s why we want people to come to Chinatown. Don’t be afraid. Enjoy it all. It’s beautiful and there are some good bargains here now, so it’s a good time to come."

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/22420

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain..."

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/02...n-coronavirus/

Nothing like celebrating our freedoms and independence while being in a lockdown.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast