Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2020 Dream Cruise

Seems like all the official events have been canceled. You knew that was coming. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not important but it’s a huge event for the area.

Knee jerk reaction is, okay, it’ll be great, just like the first few years [[I’ve never missed a year) none of the corporate BS taking over the event. But then my 2nd knee jerk reaction is the Royal Oak and Birmingham PD’s will not allow people to park and congregate along the route anyway. Those PD’s have been heavy handed writing tickets the last couple of weekends. Oakland County police have been out and their not shy about writing tickets either.

I'd like to see B'ham and RO cops try to ticket a half million people. Could be the best entertainment of the entire summer.

They just don't want people to congregate, or gather around sitting curbside to watch. But it's not going to stop people from cruising. It is officially, unofficially cancelled. What date was it suppose to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They just don't want people to congregate, or gather around sitting curbside to watch. But it's not going to stop people from cruising. It is officially, unofficially cancelled. What date was it suppose to be?
    Always the third Saturday in August, making it Aug 15 this year. I've already seen plenty of tailgaters sitting in lawn chairs along Woodward so far this year though.

Whether people enjoy all the cars or not, the Woodward Dream Cruise brings in a ton of revenue for the area. Sad to see this revenue bump evaporate while many businesses are struggling.

With manufacturing slowly opening up, I hope this recovery of health and economy will help local businesses and the world economy reignite very soon.

I have a 1960 Chevy Impala post sedan I take to the cruise. Still going to take it out for its regular exercises because old cars work better if you drive them.

Of course you could give Oakland County a break and do a Gratiot cruise through Macomb County. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    Of course you could give Oakland County a break and do a Gratiot cruise through Macomb County. Just my .02
    Or, crazy idea but hang with me, we just drive from Downtown to 696?
    They can't ticket all of us

For whatever reason, this has been the busiest spring for cruising Woodward in the last 4 or 5 years. I would say mostly tuners, some classics, but it’s all good, If you’re a car person, or a bike person you’re okay with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    Whether people enjoy all the cars or not, the Woodward Dream Cruise brings in a ton of revenue for the area. Sad to see this revenue bump evaporate while many businesses are struggling.

With manufacturing slowly opening up, I hope this recovery of health and economy will help local businesses and the world economy reignite very soon.

I have a 1960 Chevy Impala post sedan I take to the cruise. Still going to take it out for its regular exercises because old cars work better if you drive them.
    That holds true for all cars. You don't drive them, they'll rot away.

No fun without pictures, I was born in the backseat of a 1960 348 chev,delivered by a policeman who had missed his calling as a doctor.

They designed them in 1957.
    http://www.retroautos.com.au/docs/De...0Chevrolet.pdf

If I'm going to get sick i'd rather get sick doing something I enjoy then lock down in a closet somewhere.
    Last edited by Richard; May-25-20 at 01:59 PM.

Name:  IMG_20170511_061907537_HDR.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  75.4 KB

^ nice sweet original ride.

Here we have the Turkey rod run at the Daytona speedway over thanksgiving 3 day weekend,thousands of cars and at best 1% are original as manufactured.

The rest have been all chopped up for rat rods,never to be original again.

Cars back then were built as works of art,you can put them in your living room like a Rembrandt.Now they are just cookie cutter stamped out.

Mine is a year newer. LOL

Name:  A26A472D-6472-46DF-BB53-E977B4CD8DF5.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  68.1 KB

Look at that PAINT. Rich... nice.

Got some nice rides there.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No fun without pictures, I was born in the backseat of a 1960 348 chev,delivered by a policeman who had missed his calling as a doctor.

They designed them in 1957.
    http://www.retroautos.com.au/docs/De...0Chevrolet.pdf

If I'm going to get sick i'd rather get sick doing something I enjoy then lock down in a closet somewhere.
    Thanks for the link, Richard. My Dad had a 57 Plymouth Belvedere the exact same as that gold one pictured in the ad. He loved that car !!

Looks like a 59 lurking in the garage behind the 60.

^ ha,sharp eye.

love seeing the classic bow ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Thanks for the link, Richard. My Dad had a 57 Plymouth Belvedere the exact same as that gold one pictured in the ad. He loved that car !!
    do not let him get near my uncle,he has one sitting on his farm in a field sense the late 60s,sunk in the ground after being flooded out yearly,the top half actually still looks like you can buff it out and drive it away,he has about 60 cars sitting out there,in the 70s people went out there on snowmobiles and stole all the radiators out of them.

I tried getting an old truck off of him,but they never give nothing up,I ended up buying a 1946 chev 1 ton with 50,000 original miles on it where it spent most of its life as a farm truck in upper Michigan,no rust,I kept it all original and am still in the process of painting it the factory colors.

It can sit for 60 days,I pump the gas 3 times and push the starter button on the floor and it fires right up.
    Last edited by Richard; May-26-20 at 11:10 PM.

I'm not going the Woodward Dream Cruise this year due to COVID-19. Can't take the rise with all of those people carrying the virus while they are asymptomatic and some of them will not wear a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm not going the Woodward Dream Cruise this year due to COVID-19. Can't take the rise with all of those people carrying the virus while they are asymptomatic and some of them will not wear a mask.
    The Cruise happens in mid August. That's 11 weeks from now.

New cases in Michigan dropped from 650 a day 2 weeks ago, to 330'ish the last few days. [[and infections occur on average a couple weeks before confirmed cases. At that rate,.. Covid could be pretty much over by the middle of next month.

The risk of infection is 19 times higher indoors than it is outdoors,.. and data shows 66% of people who got Covid WERE staying at home. So it's pretty clear the stay at home thing doesn't really work. And staying indoors is also known to be bad for your health.

Going to the cruise on a 80-90F day some 3 months from now might just be the safest and healthiest thing you've done all year.
    Last edited by Bigdd; May-27-20 at 07:35 AM.

The bottom line will be doing what feels comfortable to you D. You know your own living circumstance/ health status/ age etc. A cruise may be ok as most will be in their cars, and the COVID-19 flattening may be further along. Everyone knows there own personal health issues and risk factors. Do go out though and enjoy some sun... I walk in my neighborhood often, etc. Many misread the governors stay-at-home order to mean total isolation, inside.

I cycle inside and out as I can. Exercise helps keep your immune system strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-27-20 at 03:27 PM.

When you are messing around with cars,attending these are 1/2 the fun.

https://www.grafeauction.com/event/c...cwMzk2NDg5MwS2

This fantastic event features a large mixture of new old stock and new old replacement stock and used auto parts from many makes of vehicles from the late 20s up to the 60s and some 70s. Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Desoto and more - it's all here!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The bottom line will be doing what feels comfortable to you D. You know your own living circumstance etc. A cruise may be ok as most will be in their cars, and the COVID-19 flattening may be further along.

Werd !

But it's also important to try to stop the destruction of Detroit and Detroiter's businesses. I mean, who's gonna support the poor? Provide services? Pay for roads, hospitals etc? How much more death and poverty should our governor mandate?

It's up to us to each try to save our city.

The point I was trying to make to Danny was,.. there doesn't seem to be any reason to be fearful of the Dream Cruise 2+ months from now.

Here's a handy chart I made up to help visualize the possible risk.

The RED line is the number of infections [[likely,.. based on cases). And the dot to the far right is when the Dream Cruise is scheduled.
    Name:  Covid Dream Cruise2.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  24.9 KB

Based on the numbers,... should we be afraid of the cruise?

Perhaps,... if Danny is in a high risk group,.. [[Median age of people dying of Covid is 77),.. So perhaps,.. if he's 70 or above, or has underlying conditions, or such people live with him,.. then yeah, he might want to skip the cruise.

Otherwise?
    Last edited by Bigdd; May-27-20 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Or, crazy idea but hang with me, we just drive from Downtown to 696?
    They can't ticket all of us
    Why would they ticket any of you? What current restrictions are in place that affect your ability to drive a car?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast