Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Two Dams Break in Michigan due to heavy rains - cause major floods

More than 10,000 people evacuated as TWO Michigan dams burst

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Michigan.html

Flooding, causes evacuations in Mid-Michigan...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-what-to-know/

Heartbreaking!! People's homes and memories lost! Midcentury modern architectural gems in jeopardy, including Alden Dow House!! And Trump is threatening to withhold federal assistance to this situation, citing possible voter fraud threats connected to the recent news that all eligible voters in MIchigan will receive absentee ballot applications.

^^^ Yes, and this came with little warning. Incredible architecture...

https://www.curbed.com/2017/8/4/1608...hitect-midland

How many times on this forum have we debated the topic of our crumbling infrastructure?

While these dams were privately owned, all the warning signs were there, and yet, everyone just hoped for the best. Maybe this will be a lesson to the region that our dilapidated infrastructure is not something to let rot.

"In 2018, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission revoked the license of the company that operated the Edenville Dam due to non-compliance issues that included spillway capacity and the inability to pass the most severe flood reasonably possible in the area.
    The Edenville Dam, which was built in 1924, was rated in unsatisfactory condition in 2018 by the state. The Sanford Dam, which was built in 1925, received a fair condition rating.
    Both dams are in the process of being sold."

Governor Gretchen Whitmer could have seen what was happening to the dam but did nothing, so we need to see what’s behind her failure in Midland!!

Gov. Whitmer is personally responsible for the dam failure because she oversees the state department that inspects dam construction.

Name:  ScreenHunter 951.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  36.1 KB

There are those that want to see these types of dams removed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dam_removal

The Federal and States concept of water conservation during the early 1900's is no longer in vogue today.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; May-20-20 at 08:42 AM.

You could say Wixom Lake has had it's up and downs over the past few years.

It's not a true lake at all.

10. Default

We have been getting wetter climate-wise for awhile but particularly in terms of surge rainfalls. Add that to our neglected infrastructure and we have Midland today. Expect more of this.

"Heavy rains are getting heavier as well. Researchers looked at the top 1% of rainfall events, based on the amount of rain that fell within a 24-hour period, and found that the amount of rain falling in those heavy events has increased 42% in the Midwest since the 1950s".
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...rs/1298208001/

"Over the last half century, average annual precipitation in most of the Midwest has increased by 5 to 10 percent. But rainfall during the four wettest days of the year has increased about 35 percent. During the next century, spring rainfall and annual precipitation are likely to increase, and severe rainstorms are likely to intensify. Each of these factors will tend to further increase the risk of flooding."
    https://19january2017snapshot.epa.go...-change-mi.pdf

Neither is Sanford "Lake"; they're both dam created.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    You could say Wixom Lake has had it's up and downs over the past few years.

It's not a true lake at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Governor Gretchen Whitmer could have seen what was happening to the dam but did nothing, so we need to see what’s behind her failure in Midland!!

Gov. Whitmer is personally responsible for the dam failure because she oversees the state department that inspects dam construction.

Name:  ScreenHunter 951.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  36.1 KB
    Yes. After all she had a whole year to fix the damn dams. Oh well, there should be lots of money left over in the next budget for infrastructure.

As far as I know there's been no loss of human life, so for that we should be grateful. Most people did receive warnings in the days before this breach, and many did leave.

After the the water recedes there's going to be some drastic changes in that area. Some homes destroyed, other lake front homes left high and dry, but with hundreds of yards of mud and a small river behind them instead of Wixom Lake. There's also been extensive damage to public roads and highways with US-10 being washed out. It's a a bad [[And expensive) situation for everyone involved.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-20-20 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    As far as I know there's been no loss of human life, so for that we should be grateful. Most people did receive warnings in the days before this breach, and many did leave.

After the the water recedes there's going to be some drastic changes in that area. Some homes destroyed, other lake front homes left high and dry yet hundreds of yards of mud to what was once Wixom Lake, but will now just be a river. There's also been extensive damage to public roads and highways with US-10 being washed out. It's a a bad [[And expensive) situation for everyone involved.
    I pray, that those people affected have some type of insurance coverage that includes a flood type of event. Hopefully, that Would include coverage for temporary living arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I pray, that those people affected have some type of insurance coverage that includes a flood type of event. Hopefully, that Would include coverage for temporary living arrangements.
    I'm sure many of them did, but for those on Wixom Lake that might not help much in the long run. The dam failure actually helped to spare homes there from further damage, but they're now going to face a situation where the homes are worth 1/2 or even 1/3 of what they were as lakefront. Insurance may pay rebuild costs, but the real value was the location [[Of course that's assuming the dam is not rebuilt, which is the likely outcome).

Here's a video from Wood TV showing the damage downstream from Wixom Lake.

https://www.facebook.com/woodtv/videos/594222011453026/

Edit. It appears as if the above video was a live video feed. I'm not sure how it will be updated.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-20-20 at 11:43 AM.

This is a bit more backstory about the dams. [[Before yesterday's flooding I knew nothing of all of this.) Understanding all of the problems, both structural and political, local residents on the lakes formed a group to buy the dams from Boyce Trusts.

[[The structural problems are on full view on global news right now. The political problems include a Michigan Tea Party approved Republican legislature that has in recent decades been not at all given to funding infrastructure and Dems, such as Gov. Whitmer, who do advocate funding for infrastructure, but there is a suspicion that this is as much for bondholders' benefit, as for the benefit of Michigan wage earners.
    THEORETICALLY SPEAKING, at the start of her term in office, Governor Whitmer could have advocated to the Michigan legislature that Boyce Trusts be allocated funds to upgrade the dams. THEORETICALLY the legislature would have readily approved this request. IN REALITY there was difficulty even in obtaining funding to improve roads.)

https://www.ourmidland.com/news/arti...m-14947027.php

There was an acceptable purchase agreement and an action plan.
    Action either from a Democratic governor or a Republican legislature was not at all required. The only problem was, Mother Nature didn't bother to hold off on the 4 inch spring rainfall until year 2024.

[[The flood stage volume on the Tittabawassee is about 25 Detroit WWTP's right now if the news accounts are correct.)

[[I notice the phrase "delegated authority" - that is kind of like "Great Lakes Water Authority". It does kind of imply more allegiance to bondholders rather than county executives or county workforces or ratepayers. I notice where the legislature was not arranging for ownership to stay as Boyce Trusts - compare with legislative advocacy for the Morouns and Ambassador Bridge.)
    Last edited by Dumpling; May-20-20 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    This is a bit more backstory about the dams. [[Before yesterday's flooding I knew nothing of all of this.) Understanding all of the problems, both structural and political, local residents on the lakes formed a group to buy the dams from Boyce Trusts.

[[The structural problems are on full view on global news right now. The political problems include a Michigan Tea Party approved Republican legislature that has in recent decades been not at all given to funding infrastructure and Dems, such as Gov. Whitmer, who do advocate funding for infrastructure, but there is a suspicion that this is as much for bondholders' benefit, as for the benefit of Michigan wage earners.
    THEORETICALLY SPEAKING, at the start of her term in office, Governor Whitmer could have advocated to the Michigan legislature that Boyce Trusts be allocated funds to upgrade the dams. THEORETICALLY the legislature would have readily approved this request. IN REALITY there was difficulty even in obtaining funding to improve roads.)

https://www.ourmidland.com/news/arti...m-14947027.php

There was an acceptable purchase agreement and an action plan.
    Action either from a Democratic governor or a Republican legislature was not at all required. The only problem was, Mother Nature didn't bother to hold off on the 4 inch spring rainfall until year 2024.

[[The flood stage volume on the Tittabawassee is about 25 Detroit WWTP's right now if the news accounts are correct.)

[[I notice the phrase "delegated authority" - that is kind of like "Great Lakes Water Authority". It does kind of imply more allegiance to bondholders rather than county executives or county workforces or ratepayers. I notice where the legislature was not arranging for ownership to stay as Boyce Trusts - compare with legislative advocacy for the Morouns and Ambassador Bridge.)
    Sounds like the locals were interested in acquiring the dams and paying a special assessment tax to maintain water levels for the value of their benefit for recreation and to maintain their property value.
    Did not look at the court ruling about maintaining legal water levels. Was the owner company trying to lower levels in lieu of proper maintenance of the dams?

Seems really irresponsible that the various levels of gov't let these dams continue with Dow located so close.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Seems really irresponsible that the various levels of gov't let these dams continue with Dow located so close.

"Flood waters from the ongoing deluge in Midland County have mixed with containment ponds at the vast Dow chemical plant in Midland, the company announced Wednesday."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...on/5229130002/

We have a family cottage on Secord Lake that we use frequently, usually 2-3 weekends a month during spring/summer/fall. We were just up there last week to open up the cottage and start getting ready for the holiday. Fortunately the dam is intact and no issues, but many friends and neighbors on the lake had massive flooding from the rains [[fortunately our cottage is on high ground and was spared, except for the new docks we put in last year are gone). Now many friends on the lower lakes [[Wixom/Sanford) will have no lake at all. If they are not rebuilt, it would be catastrophic for all of those people & their property values. It's hard to imagine they won't be rebuilt, but the upgrades needed to bring them up to code to handle this kind of excessive water is going to be astronomical. Hopefully the State can go after the neglectful dam owners and get some sort of settlement.

All three dams are privately owned:
    The dam was privately owned and operated by Boyce Hydro Power, a company based in Edenville, which also owned three other hydroelectric facilities on the Tittabawassee: the Secord, Smallwood, and Sanford Dams.

Did the Edenville failure cause the Sanford failure or don't we know yet?

Edenville was first then Sanford breached so I would assume that the one affected the other because Sanford is the lowest int he chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Did the Edenville failure cause the Sanford failure or don't we know yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Edenville was first then Sanford breached so I would assume that the one affected the other because Sanford is the lowest int he chain.
    Okay, that's what I thought too.

That's pretty scary that a chain reaction like that can even start. It makes me wonder about the condition of other dams with a similar relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Okay, that's what I thought too.

That's pretty scary that a chain reaction like that can even start. It makes me wonder about the condition of other dams with a similar relationship.
    I believe the other two are up the chain, north of Edenville and the lower of those two is rumored to have either breached or broken, so I'm not sure what's happening there. The Smallwood is between the Edenville and the Secord.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast