Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Seven Felician sisters die of covid @ Mother House

we don't often get the hardcopy freep out here but, when i was able to get one about a week ago, i noticed that there seemed to be a lot of obits of Felician nuns.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...rs/5178387002/. in this case, the livonia mother house is more like a nursing home so i guess it shouldn't be surprising that a number of elderly occupants were affected.

My late aunt [[she died a year ago at 95) lived in a mother house on the west side of the state. I would say the average age of the nuns living there was about 90 [[unscientific guess) with at least 6 over 100. Wonderful women all who lived long, productive lives of service to others.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    My late aunt [[she died a year ago at 95) lived in a mother house on the west side of the state. I would say the average age of the nuns living there was about 90 [[unscientific guess) with at least 6 over 100. Wonderful women all who lived long, productive lives of service to others.

Having some limited involvement with the Felicians, I would agree. Nice eulogy, Charles.

Nice write up and bios of the same nuns and a few more. My wifes Aunt was a headmaster at a school in Pennsylvania when she was in the order. She left eventually and taught school in Detroit for many years. Her life in the order was chosen for her by her family and the powers that be in the Ukrainian Immaculate Conception Church in Hamtramck. The bios below were the same as our Mother Superior, Aunt Stella. Who passed a few years ago.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-he...who-died-april
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; May-09-20 at 11:34 AM.

Whoa! Dan, I also had an Aunt Stella who became a nun. unfortunately, when she caught influenza curing the '18 outbreak, she was sent home to her family. she later went on to marry three times [[widowed each time) and died a rather wealthy old woman.

My next door neighbor when I was growing had a sister who was a Felician; her nun name was "Sr Amancia"; by the time I remember her she must have been in her late 60's and she died at 84. She had been in the convent since she was 15. She worked til she died. Those ladies didn't give up easily.