Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How many COVID-19 patients have gotten care at TCF Center?

Last month, the TCF center [[formally known as Cobo Hall) was transformed into a field hospital to treat "1,000 patients". I've not seen any new photos or news since the original announcement.
    I imagine that having a low patient count is good, but I really haven't heard one way or the other. Driving by the outside it appears quiet. Anyone have the scoop?SHAREit Appvn
    Last edited by marvelsferb7; May-05-20 at 01:50 PM.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.met...dia=AMP%2bHTML

As of 4/16 only 8 and I doubt it'll even get to 30

I'm getting a feeling that this whole thing was 90% bullshit; just a particularly nasty flu bug that hits every spring. But me wear mask anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm getting a feeling that this whole thing was 90% bullshit; just a particularly nasty flu bug that hits every spring. But me wear mask anyway.

oh boy.. bad take bud. coming from a hospital worker, easy with the conspiracy theories

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    oh boy.. bad take bud. coming from a hospital worker, easy with the conspiracy theories
    Most hospitals are 1/2 empty and loosing money. A lot of workers are got laid off. Hope you don't loose your job. If you're working in Detroit you should be OK.

The 2 hospital ships treated like 100 patients combined. The emergency hospitals the army set up in Lousiana, Seattle etc that can handle many thousands of patients I believe treated none. The Javitis Center in New York treated nearly 1,100. [[But was planning on seeing 5k or more. Had beds for 2,500 at a time). They are closing down today I believe, with the last 1/2 doz patients being discharged.

At what point do we stop moving the goalposts and claiming it's "just the flu"? 75K deaths? 100K? 150K?

I'm happy we don't need to use the TCF Center; it means the absolute worst case has not happened.

Decisions were/are still made with bad data, or with no data at all, that's the problem. The mortality rate turned out to be much lower than initially reported, by a factor of 10 at least. Same with the infection rate, which has settled below 1.0 [[I am referring to data from Germany, the only country who took data collection seriously since the beginning).

That's why imho the TCF center was setup initially and why it turned out to be completely unnecessary.

I wish the media would drop the daily scorecard of deaths/infections. People are dying of other causes, but they seem to be an afterthought. For instance, per the CDC, about 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that's 1 in every 4 deaths. More than 38,000 people die every year in crashes on U.S. roadways.

I get it - the Corona Virus is a serious issue, but there are people dying of other causes. Every death, whatever the cause, creates grief for someone.

Yes, at the time it was anticipated that the numbers would by higher specifically for Detroit and Wayne County. And Detroiter's are still dying at very high rates - Numbering over 1,000. I wonder if the Suburban Collection Center will still be converted?

Quote Originally Posted by CR75 View Post
    Decisions were/are still made with bad data, or with no data at all, that's the problem. The mortality rate turned out to be much lower than initially reported, by a factor of 10 at least. Same with the infection rate, which has settled below 1.0 [[I am referring to data from Germany, the only country who took data collection seriously since the beginning).
    Quote Originally Posted by CR75 View Post

That's why imho the TCF center was setup initially and why it turned out to be completely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    At what point do we stop moving the goalposts and claiming it's "just the flu"? 75K deaths? 100K? 150K?
    I'm pretty sure you're imagining that. I haven't seen anyone anywhere claim it's just the FLU.

What people HAVE done is compare the death numbers to the FLU's death numbers,.. so as to try to keep this in perspective.

It's the same as if people compared the numbers to deaths by smoking [[480,000 per year). That wouldn't even IMPLY that Covid is smoking.

Hospitals overwhelmed? Refrigerated trucks to hold the excess bodies backed up to hospitals? We had that the last couple years during flu season. But we're used to it,.. so the media never mentioned it.
    Last edited by Bigdd; May-04-20 at 08:20 AM.

I am hearing you on that. However, the historic concentration of deaths [[people dying daily) in Detroit [[over 1000+ in fifty or so days) is why the focus needs to remain on stopping COVID-19! Please take care people!

I am also concerned about those who may be postponing treatments for other issues due to fear of going to hospitals and hospitals determining what care is 'essential'!? There are going to be deaths from that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I wish the media would drop the daily scorecard of deaths/infections. People are dying of other causes, but they seem to be an afterthought. For instance, per the CDC, about 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that's 1 in every 4 deaths. More than 38,000 people die every year in crashes on U.S. roadways.

I get it - the Corona Virus is a serious issue, but there are people dying of other causes. Every death, whatever the cause, creates grief for someone.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-20 at 08:29 AM.

A couple of folks here made inferences, at least, [[some direct comments) that the COVID as like the annual flu. That is especially easy to do behind a keyboard in another state. We know Detroiter's are dying!

I got a few folks 'together' fast on that as the concentration of deaths in such a short-time, and high contagion/ infection rate of COVID-19 ranks it beyond the standard flu. As a Detroiter I could not sit silent. Nope. I've known too many people recovered, sick and dead [[students, friends, family etc.). My reality is beyond flat screens and laptop news viewing!

Comparing it [[COVID-19) to the 1918 Spanish Flu [[or whatever you want to call it) Pandemic would be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're imagining that. I haven't seen anyone anywhere claim it's just the FLU.

What people HAVE done is compare the death numbers to the FLU's death numbers,.. so as to try to keep this in perspective.

It's the same as if people compared the numbers to deaths by smoking [[480,000 per year). That wouldn't even IMPLY that Covid is smoking.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-20 at 10:17 AM.

At the time planning for the field hospital at TCF Center was going on, there was a very vocal concern among hospital administrators that they would be overwhelmed and needed relief. There was no clear idea about when numbers would plateau, let alone drop.

Had nothing been built and the hospital been needed, there would have been an outcry that not enough was done. I would rather we be over prepared and not need it, than be under prepared and have even more chaos.

It's easy to be an armchair quarterback sitting behind a keyboard. It's not easy to be a quarterback without a playbook for this kind of situation. I feel like our local, regional, and state officials did a respectable job forging partnerships and communicating plans to take care of as many patients as possible and protect the general population as much as possible. Was it perfect? No. Was it effective? absolutely.

Nice horse. No one can tell those of us who have lost so many family members and friends within a concentrated 45-day span that the reality of COVID-19 is bull. Or considered a JOKE. We will not/ cannot do that!

Nor WILL WE toss-off the specificity of this virus which has so caused the loss and sickness of our fellow citizens. NOPE.

WE CLEARLY know, [[as evidenced daily) and understand that the Coronavirus/ COVID-19 [[or whatever it may be named onward) in its concentrated death-toll alone, is well beyond the annual, seasonal, or standard flu.

Read my full response [[#948) to your earlier post: https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...-Thread/page38

DetroitYES! We will more than over come this. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-20 at 10:57 AM.

Then you need to reread just 8 comments before yours.
    Name:  2020-05-04_9-50-50.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  64.3 KB

Someone literally made that claim on this page of the thread.

Yep, well stated. Not perfect but as Italy was blowing up with deaths it was reasonable to set up the center. Some of the determined 'essentials' as put forth from the gov...? No garden product access? Well I questioned that.

But I will never now or historically compare/ depreciated COVID-19 to the standard flu. My eyes can't close that tightly. Not being a Detroiter. And not looking at how this virus took off so fast in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    At the time planning for the field hospital at TCF Center was going on, there was a very vocal concern among hospital administrators that they would be overwhelmed and needed relief.

...I feel like our local, regional, and state officials did a respectable job forging partnerships and communicating plans to take care of as many patients as possible and protect the general population as much as possible. Was it perfect? No. Was it effective? absolutely.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-20 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ............ the historic concentration of deaths [[people dying daily) in Detroit is why the focus needs to remain on stopping COVID-19!

I am also concerned about those who may be postponing treatments for other issues due to fear of going to hospitals and hospitals determining what care is 'essential'!? There are going to be deaths from that as well.
    Yep.

Deaths from postponing treatments,

Deaths from suicide,

Compromised immune systems from fear [[which causes fight-or-flight to kick in, and your immune to partially shut down).

Compromised immune systems from quarantine [[continual exposure to bacteria and viruses is what builds and maintains our immune systems. The longer we stay separated and wiping everything down with sanitizer,.. the worse shape we'll be in when the restrictions are lifted).

All that needs to be balanced against the Covid to find the right date to lift restrictions.

In most places not New York, New Jersey, Detroit and Chicago,... they should probably be lifting now.

Hah! And hear I thought that was my lying 'eyes' again! -- --

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Someone literally made that claim on this page of the thread.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-20 at 09:14 AM.

I've had a dormant cyst on the back of my neck [[not noticeable unless you touched it)... and with bad timing in February it turned into an angry cyst... swelled up and turned the back of my neck red. I was at the doctor in early March, and he had another doctor work with him in the Beaumont Clinic to help drain it. But it still required surgery to remove the sac. Still waiting on that surgery, and have had a bandage on my neck for over 2 months now. Been told that what would have been out-patient surgery at a surgeons office, would now require me to go to the Emergency Room at a Beaumont Hospital... I balked [[and my doctor even told me that he didn't blame me). So this is considered elective surgery, which I am still waiting for. The hospital systems can't make much money off the coronavirus, but can if elective surgeries like mine are started up again.

I was miserable for weeks with taking antibiotics for 3 weeks that were killing my stomach... but now I'm just changing a bandage 3 times a day, with minimum drainage. But I damn sure would like to get this taken care of by summer.

The 20 doctors in my St. Clair Shores Beaumont clinic took turns with 10 working at the nearest Beaumont Hospital [[Bons Secour Grosse Pointe) on non-virus floors for a month, then a 2 week quarantine before switching with the other 10 doctors. The clinic waiting room has been empty each week I stopped by when they checked up on my wound [[and mercifully they only charged me a copay for the first visit).

Elective surgery is where the hospital systems make their money... and they need to start again soon [[at least ones that can be done in a clinic setting), in order to get laid off employees back on the payroll.

When it's someone else, another state, or a city far away that's easy to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-20 at 10:27 AM.

One more thing - I'm sick and tired of hearing how celebrities are dealing with the virus. Must be really tough in that Malibu beach house. Thank you Ricky Gervais for speaking out.
    As much as I think some of the stories on regular people are somewhat over-hyped, the ones about the "courage" of some Hollywood star are revolting.
    I appreciate the way Tom Hanks and his wife dealt with it - we had it, we've recovered and now we're moving on. End of story.
    Last edited by GPCharles; May-04-20 at 10:17 AM.

Oh yeah whining on with their pantries full; private duty cleaning, hair and nail stylists, acres to walk along, pools to dive into, and multiple private properties to visit [[I don't think they were abiding to those no-visit other property laws).

The repubs got a kick out of Nancy Pelosi's [[Mary Antionette) ice cream sacrifice... LOL!

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...e_freezer.html

I too appreciated how the Hank's handled it. Dignified and moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    One more thing - I'm sick and tired of hearing how celebrities are dealing with the virus. Must be really tough in that Malibu beach house. Thank you Ricky Gervais for speaking out.

As much as I think some of the stories on regular people are somewhat over-hyped, the ones about the "courage" of some Hollywood star are revolting.

I appreciate the way Tom Hanks and his wife dealt with it - we had it, we've recovered and now we're moving on. End of story.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-04-20 at 10:36 AM.

Parsing risk is notoriously hard for people to do. The best way to understand risk is to compare it to something else. For instance, the chance of dying by living near a nuclear power plant over 60 years is about the same as driving on a freeway for a few miles. The point isn't so much that both are entirely safe, the point is that you should be *way* more concerned with driving.

As for COVID-19 - imagine there was a wide-spread bug living across the US, like a mosquito. If you were bit by this mosquito, you had a 1% chance of dying, or a higher chance of having to spend a month or two in the hospital. Would you be hanging around outside a lot? Probably not.

Now, trade the mosquito with other people, and hanging around outside with hanging around other people. The more you are exposed to other people, the more rolls of the dice you are taking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast