Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Support your local restaurants!

Lunch today?
    Doner Kebab from the Balkan House in Hamtramck. As good as a sandwich gets.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Lunch today?
    Absolutely without a doubt the best döner around. Thanks for the reminder to detour to Hamtramck on the way home!

Griffin Claw cheesesteak and fish & chips, along with two boxes of produce from Eastern Market [[the grapes from Chile are outstanding right now) with bottles of hand sanitizer they made thrown in as a bonus.

Also, the Buddy's Pizza half-baked pies are great.

Roman Village in Dearborn-fantastic Italian and when they say large pizza, they really mean it.

Plus, I finally checked out Marcus Hamburgers on McNichols last week. They were quite grateful my co-worker & I went there.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Lunch today?
    So good. We also went to the one in Ferndale and we all agreed, the Doner in Hamtramck was so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Roman Village in Dearborn-fantastic Italian and when they say large pizza, they really mean it.

Plus, I finally checked out Marcus Hamburgers on McNichols last week. They were quite grateful my co-worker & I went there.
    Fortunately Roman Village [[great Italian food) is part of the chain of Antonio's Cuchina restaurant chain in metro Detroit. The Rugiero family owns this chain, and I do believe that they will survive the pandemic. I met the matriarch of the family at a Freedom Hill IL VOLO concert back in 2014... a wonderful family!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Couldn't agree more! Support your local restaurants!!

We've carried out from several Royal Oak and Berkley restaurants... breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Some more than once.

And we've driven for a good meal! Picked up from Mexicantown.

And from The Biddle Hall in Wyandotte [[yes, we know the owners and were making the drive before the current situtation)...Polish and BBQ dinners. Watch their Facebook page for dates when they are doing the dinners. Today, Tuesday, April 28 is on! https://www.facebook.com/events/862229974279502/

Do what you can!!

Just tried the Doner Kebab from Balkan in Hamtramck. It’s the best outside of Germany. Thanks. I’ve been looking for something like this for years.

You are very welcome. Nice folks run it

Slows BBQ offering curbside pickup on Sunday, May 3 for orders placed online through May 2.

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/artic...ckup-on-sunday

Don't forget your local breweries too! We've picked up at Griffin Claw and at the new Iron Horse Brewery in Royal Oak.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...us/3032739001/

Definitely agree with supporting the breweries too. Thin profit margins are even more strained right now. Brewery Faisan is a gem in the no mans land between Elmwood Park and West Village and has quickly risen to be one of my favorites in the region. Online ordering and contact free pick up is available!

https://www.breweryfaisan.com/

Ordered takeout from Checker Bar on Friday. Was fast, cheap, and convenient. You call when you arrive and they bring it out to your car. There is free parking on the street where the meters used to be.

I hadn't had a restaurant cooked burger since the lockdown started and it was amazing. They have a limited menu, but I asked for some customization and they were able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    Ordered takeout from Checker Bar on Friday. Was fast, cheap, and convenient. You call when you arrive and they bring it out to your car. There is free parking on the street where the meters used to be.

I hadn't had a restaurant cooked burger since the lockdown started and it was amazing. They have a limited menu, but I asked for some customization and they were able to do it.
    Good to hear. I'm really surprised Checker would see enough business to make it worthwhile.

Stopped by Bucharest on the way back from Belle Isle late this afternoon. No curbside that I could see, place was busy, some people were wearing masks, some people [[staff included) were not. Took about 15 minutes to get the food, sorry I did it, won’t do that again.

^^^ I wouldn't... there has to be some effort in Detroit. I have already had a few stores and restaurants were I've just walked out. Cashier just coughing into the air. Nope. Bye...

Absolutely! No precautions by the restaurant, no carryout order from us. Some of the places we've gone to for carryout have used curbside pickup with staff being masked and gloved. Others have inside pickup only, again with masked staff. Gloves not a game-changer as they say washing hands is better. And we throw away the plastic bags and put food on plates right away. Then wipe down our countertops and table.

Definitely want to help, but being safe is the priority.

In addition to their usual Tuesday dinners, Biddle Hall is offering Mother's Day dinners to carryout!!
    https://www.facebook.com/events/685450945562578/

Full menu: https://www.facebook.com/BiddleHall/...type=3&theater

Check out their usual dinners for more info:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/343513756625962/
    Last edited by Kathleen; May-06-20 at 10:00 AM.

Grand Azteca Mexican, on Haggerty between 14 and 15 Mile, has pretty good food available for carry out; recently had a burrito dinner and a [[steak) beef taco dinner: https://grandazteca.com/menu.php

I'm getting hungry and not in the cooking mood today.

Any suggestions for something in the mid-town area?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm getting hungry and not in the cooking mood today.

Any suggestions for something in the mid-town area?
    Rocco's Italian Deli. You can thank me later.

Hate to be that person who constantly complains because I don’t like people who are like that. Also, I’m all for supporting local eateries, but not at my own peril. Ms. Softailrider and I decided on Chipotle for dinner tonight, but couldn’t get their website to work. So, ordered from Qdoba [[basically the same crap- right?) Ordered from the Bingham Farms location, on Telegraph, around 13 Mile, east side of Telegraph. Get there right on time, sign on the door said 5 person maximum, masks must be worn. Okay, sounds good on paper. Get in there and there are more then 5 people, 3 were not wearing masks and two of them were standing right in front of where they put the food together. The guy who looked like the manager had his mask below his chin. Another worked kept messing with his mask, hands near his mouth. To add insult to injury, they ran out of chicken. I waited around for about 10 minutes and left, called American Express to flag the charge, came home and we ate TV dinners, wish we would have done that to begin with.
    Last edited by softailrider; May-05-20 at 06:49 PM.

^^^ I would have walked out of there too. Fast. I've been to a few restaurants that are doing things far safer.

Review sites are starting to flag negatives on restaurants that are not trying to be safer during this time!

Restaurants may need to up their prices... not something that they should be doing now... but with the price of meat rising... what options do they have.

I was at Nino Salvaggio's 2 weeks ago and bought a dozen [[raw) pork chops [[on sale at $2.99/lb) and a dozen [[raw) boneless chicken breasts [[on sale at $1.49/lb). Just went there yesterday and pork chops took a hike to $5.99/lb, and chicken breasts went to $3.99/lb... all due to the closure of some meat processing plants due to the virus outbreaks there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Restaurants may need to up their prices... not something that they should be doing now... but with the price of meat rising... what options do they have.

I was at Nino Salvaggio's 2 weeks ago and bought a dozen [[raw) pork chops [[on sale at $2.99/lb) and a dozen [[raw) boneless chicken breasts [[on sale at $1.49/lb). Just went there yesterday and pork chops took a hike to $5.99/lb, and chicken breasts went to $3.99/lb... all due to the closure of some meat processing plants due to the virus outbreaks there.
    Prices have gone up, at least in my area. Two pizza places have raised a large square by $4.00 as well as a local restaurant raising the price of a "Michigan" salad by $3.00 as well as their fish tacos. I'll still support a carry-out once a week with a generous tip and also, because I'm tired of trying to come up with something to cook and the clean-up thereafter.
    Last edited by Maof; May-10-20 at 07:28 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast