Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default The 2020 Detroit Lions

It's not often that one gets to associate anything with the Detroit Lions as a sign of hope, yet here we are 'hoping' that any kind of Fall NFL season would be a sign of normalcy. We can hope, can't we ?

The NFL has expanded their season from 16 to 17 regular season games. This means we have a chance to go 3 -14 instead of 3 - 13. [[how's that for some positive thinking !)

The NFL Draft begins Thursday night. We hold the 3rd pick in the draft, with most fans hoping for a trade down to get some more bodies on our roster. My gut feeling is there is going to be a couple surprise moves in the first 5 selections. Anyone have any thoughts as to what we should do or will do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    It's not often that one gets to associate anything with the Detroit Lions as a sign of hope, yet here we are 'hoping' that any kind of Fall NFL season would be a sign of normalcy. We can hope, can't we ?

The NFL has expanded their season from 16 to 17 regular season games. This means we have a chance to go 3 -14 instead of 3 - 13. [[how's that for some positive thinking !)

The NFL Draft begins Thursday night. We hold the 3rd pick in the draft, with most fans hoping for a trade down to get some more bodies on our roster. My gut feeling is there is going to be a couple surprise moves in the first 5 selections. Anyone have any thoughts as to what we should do or will do ?
    Selling the team would be a good start.

The pandemic has offered the Lions a chance that they have never had before in over 60 years.

A legitimate shot at going undefeated all fall.

The earliest the 17 game schedule will be implemented is the 2021 season. This season will still be 16 games [[hopefully).

As far as the draft, I don't hold high hopes. Quinn makes his draft choice with some combination of trying to outsmart everyone and trying to prove that he's the smartest guy in the room. Everybody seems to have it narrowed down to either Okudah, Simmons, or Brown. I would venture to guess that his first round pick will be none of them, or if it is one of them it would assuredly be Brown since he's the least favored of the three. Start getting familiar with guys that are generally about halfway down the first round mock draft board. One of them will likely be your next Detroit Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    The earliest the 17 game schedule will be implemented is the 2021 season. This season will still be 16 games [[hopefully).

As far as the draft, I don't hold high hopes. Quinn makes his draft choice with some combination of trying to outsmart everyone and trying to prove that he's the smartest guy in the room. Everybody seems to have it narrowed down to either Okudah, Simmons, or Brown. I would venture to guess that his first round pick will be none of them, or if it is one of them it would assuredly be Brown since he's the least favored of the three. Start getting familiar with guys that are generally about halfway down the first round mock draft board. One of them will likely be your next Detroit Lion.
    Thanks for the correction on the 17 game season. My problem with Okudah was not signing Slay. By picking him, it seems like the same ole Lion merry-go-round. Lose a guy get a guy. Slay's contract with Philly was doable under the Lions' salary cap. Our defense needs a leader....a difference maker....someone who makes plays, a mean, angry, fast, and smart man, and that can be pretty much any position on the field at this point.

However I agree with you on the surprise pick or trade move. There wasn't much drama last year, but taking a Center the year before was from leftfield.

Since we're passing on the quarterbacks, I fully expect someone we pass up to become the next Brady or Montana. It's how we swing.

It's going to be a strange Draft show, but at least it's not a rerun.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    The pandemic has offered the Lions a chance that they have never had before in over 60 years.

A legitimate shot at going undefeated all fall.
    At the very least, there's a good chance of not having to wait until mid-October to tune them out.

At this point, I cannot see 65000 people in Ford Field in the Fall. Or, 100,000 people at U of M stadium. I think that if they play, it’s going to be at empty stadiums. I sure hope something will change between now and then. Maybe if they clear up a bunch of the IFS, of which there are a helluva lot.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    At this point, I cannot see 65000 people in Ford Field in the Fall. Or, 100,000 people at U of M stadium. I think that if they play, it’s going to be at empty stadiums. I sure hope something will change between now and then. Maybe if they clear up a bunch of the IFS, of which there are a helluva lot.
    Ya know what? We all might just as well be dead. This thing is largely overblown. Death rate less than one percent, and most of those had health problems to start with. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Ya know what? We all might just as well be dead. This thing is largely overblown. Death rate less than one percent, and most of those had health problems to start with. Just sayin'.
    Name:  2020-04-23_7-47-55.jpg
Views: 3212
Size:  21.9 KB

Sorry to say you are wrong, Death rate is 5.56% in the US [[much higher for someone of your age) and 6.96% worldwide.

But back to the Lions messing up the draft who is the highest rated Tight End?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gumby; April-23-20 at 06:49 AM.

You're still listening to the crazy Las Vegas mayor I saw on CNN last night? She wants everything open now. luckily, the governor thinks she nuts.

I say take Tua. I like Matthew Stafford, I think he’s the best QB the Lions have had in my lifetime by far [[Bobby Layne was before my time) but they have never won anything with Stafford, and he has come up short in a lot of critical situations. Of course the Lions have never won anything with many great players that they have had. I don’t think that cornerback they’re predicted to draft is going to catapult them into a playoff win. I think it’s time to move on from Matthew Stafford.

Ray, you can't look at the death rate and say this things been overblown. That's a death rate WITH quarantine and shut down measures. You have to look at the hypothetical death rate to see if its been 'overblown'. I have no idea, but I would guess 4 or 5 times what we're seeing now, if we didn't quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Ray, you can't look at the death rate and say this things been overblown. That's a death rate WITH quarantine and shut down measures. You have to look at the hypothetical death rate to see if its been 'overblown'. I have no idea, but I would guess 4 or 5 times what we're seeing now, if we didn't quarantine.
    We should be quarantining the people are are actually effected by this not everybody. 98% of the deaths in NYC are from people between the ages of 50-80 WITH underlying health conditions. Even people in the same age range without health conditions arent dying and are becoming immune. According to the LA Times after doing antibody testing there could be between 225,000 to 350,000 that have contracted Covid without feeling symptoms. Also, go Lions

I say take Tua. I like Matthew Stafford, I think he’s the best QB the Lions have had in my lifetime by far [[Bobby Layne was before my time) but they have never won anything with Stafford, and he has come up short in a lot of critical situations. Of course the Lions have never won anything with many great players that they have had. I don’t think that cornerback they’re predicted to draft is going to catapult them into a playoff win. I think it’s time to move on from Matthew Stafford.
    I agree with taking Tua too. The only reason for not is if there was some super pick of his talent or better than him at no. 3. There isn't. Not even close. Pick him. At the very least they could trade him a player of the same or better talent than they could draft.

Regarding not having won anything with Stafford, I don't think it's his fault. That belongs to the incompetent ownership/management. Let's remember this is the same organization who had the greatest running back ever and won nothing with him either, maybe one playoff game. Should they have traded him too? On the other hand this is the organization who wasted a number one pick on Andre Ware too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    We should be quarantining the people are are actually effected by this not everybody. 98% of the deaths in NYC are from people between the ages of 50-80 WITH underlying health conditions. Even people in the same age range without health conditions arent dying and are becoming immune. According to the LA Times after doing antibody testing there could be between 225,000 to 350,000 that have contracted Covid without feeling symptoms. Also, go Lions
    I would agree with that IF we knew who those people were and IF we had testing and contact tracing in place to detect the infected. We don't and we aren't even close to having it. Our testing ability is in shambles with no plan or leadership to correct it.

Also I know three people under 50 who have had it. All survived but only after three weeks of debilitating illness followed by two more weeks of regaining strength. This is no-sick-for-a-week-and-go-back-to-work flu. Point being that the economic damage created by the length of this illness cannot be underestimated.

One was on a ventilator for three weeks and in a coma for a week. Two weeks out of the hospital now and he is now only able to walk a hundred steps with out his oxygen respirator. This guy was no wimp. He was muscular and agile drywaller.

You and I are getting there Ray but I hear this a lot and I ask, tell me when you ever saw an epidemic where refrigerator trucks were lined up at hospitals to store the dead or an ice arena was converted to a temporary morgue because the sudden volume of deaths were so great it could not be handled? All I hear is crickets in answer to that.

The numbers are where they are only due to quarantining. It is said the death toll will be comparable to the season flu but would seasonal flu numbers be the same if everybody took the same precautions as now? No way

Let's take the hit now, be patient, get this under control. Have patience, not patients, and bridge us through until a vaccine and/or therapy can be developed.

Yeah I think that will be one of the ways we open the economy back up, by playing close attention to age and immune systems since they are the most vulnerable [[but others can really be affected as well).

The Spanish flu just over 100 years ago instead killed the youngest and strongest people. From what I read they thought elders had experienced a similar virus and were thus handling it fine. Today's virus goes after the elderly and those with compromised health.

The Lions don't need Covid-19 to fall apart. That naturally happens to the good ole Lions. But I love that people really want to talk about them during already macabre times.

Eventually, virtuality everyone is going to have to go out of the house, I’m not saying they are going to go to stadiums or arenas, I think that might take years, but people are going to go out. And I don’t mean in a haz mat suit either.

Tua???

C’mon Lowell, lets be real. If we take him that hip is toast and he will never play NFL football. Give the kid a chance instead of Lions luck.

Ho-hum....I don't really have a problem with the Lions' pick. It was the consensus of just about everyone that he was the best cornerback available. Can't really be upset about not trading down, as no one else in the top 10 did either. As a Lion fan, you can ponder what Green Bay did. This isn't the first time they showed some foresight towards the future by taking a QB. Rodgers sat with Favre, and this year's pick will do the same until he's ready.

Really liked the broadcast. 3 weeks ago people were criticizing the NFL for planning the Draft broadcast. The human body may fear the virus, but technology doesn't. As a fan I appreciated their efforts towards using available technology to work around the problem. Had to chuckle at keeping the boos for Goodell intact.

Lions are worse getting rid of Slay, one of the NFL best & replacing w/a rookie that never played in the NFL.....SOLs.

Countdown clock for Quinn & Bluto is running.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Lions are worse getting rid of Slay, one of the NFL best & replacing w/a rookie that never played in the NFL.....SOLs.

Countdown clock for Quinn & Bluto is running.
    This would make sense if you saved a boatload of money with the rookie and used it for another player. I don't follow the NFL nearly as closely as the other sports but don't they both make about 10 million a year?

Eventually, virtuality everyone is going to have to go out of the house, I’m not saying they are going to go to stadiums or arenas, I think that might take years, but people are going to go out. And I don’t mean in a haz mat suit either.
    Exactly right. Going outside requires virtually no protection, except for sun if you are disposed to that sort of thing. In case of stores, etc. my children don't want me to go to the stores to shop. But I will mask up and take my sanitizer and wipes and go to the corner store anyway. They wipe things down between customers too.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    This would make sense if you saved a boatload of money with the rookie and used it for another player. I don't follow the NFL nearly as closely as the other sports but don't they both make about 10 million a year?
    Slay was a proven commodity, this CB they drafted sure looks good on paper, but you never know how it’s going to turn out. Pro game is played on a way higher level.

Ho-hum....I don't really have a problem with the Lions' pick. It was the consensus of just about everyone that he was the best cornerback available. Can't really be upset about not trading down, as no one else in the top 10 did either. As a Lion fan, you can ponder what Green Bay did. This isn't the first time they showed some foresight towards the future by taking a QB. Rodgers sat with Favre, and this year's pick will do the same until he's ready.

Really liked the broadcast. 3 weeks ago people were criticizing the NFL for planning the Draft broadcast. The human body may fear the virus, but technology doesn't. As a fan I appreciated their efforts towards using available technology to work around the problem. Had to chuckle at keeping the boos for Goodell intact.
    Packers are the Packers, Lions are the Lions. As you are aware, the Packers are everything the Lions are not.

Slay was a proven commodity, this CB they drafted sure looks good on paper, but you never know how it’s going to turn out. Pro game is played on a way higher level.
    Which is why I'm saying if your team has a lot of holes to fill like the Lions, it may make sense to take a chance on the rookie and use the extra cash to fill a hole, but is there much difference in salaries?

Since Quinn and Patricia are on a win now mission, Tua was never going to make any sense. Better than last year but still no playoffs. With no fans will they play a boos soundtrack to make the boys feel at home.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast