Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Heart shaped flight

I'm actually surprised no one has posted about the horrible mass killings in Nova Scotia on Saturday/Sunday but this is one tiny, caring thing that came out of it. My heart goes out to the people of Nova Scotia; this kind of thing simply doesn't happen up there.

https://www.skiesmag.com/news/a-hug-from-above/

Just hours after a deadly killing spree concluded in Nova Scotia on April 19, Dimitri Neonakis took to the air in his single-engine Cirrus SR22. On April 19, he flew a tribute flight for the victims of the Nova Scotia massacre. Like many Nova Scotians, his mind was reeling from the news that a 51-year-old denturist had taken at least 19 innocent lives before he himself was fatally shot by provincial RCMP officers. He wanted to show the small coastal community of Portapique and others touched by the massacre that they were in his thoughts.....
    High above Portapique, the pilot traced a heart-shaped flight path in the sky. It was meant to be a personal gesture and an expression of solidarity for his fellow Nova Scotians, but when he returned to Halifax he realized he hadn’t really been alone up there after all.
    “As I came in to land, the air traffic controller instructed me to exit the runway and return to my hangar,” recounted Neonakis. “Then she said something I’ll never forget. She said, ‘By the way, that was a beautiful flight path.’ ”

Last edited by jcole; April-21-20 at 11:15 AM.

That reminded me of skywriting and led me to find this:
    There Are Only Six Full-time Skywriters Left in the World
    The skywriter must also write the message backwards, so it mirrors back correctly to the audience below. It’s so technically precise that for the pilots, it’s not really like writing at all—it’s like acrobatic mathematics. “You’ve got to be good at what you do and know exactly what you’re doing,” Jacuzzi continues. “It’s never an easy task, that’s why there are only six skywriters in the world that can make a living from it.”