Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Former 9 mile/Harper K-Mart

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but does anyone have any updated details on the Kroger that is supposed to be going in that space? Is it supposed to be some high end Kroger? And I’ve heard of a Panera bread going there too. Thanks for any insight.

The former Kmart is almost completely scraped.

From the St. Clair Shores Sentinel [[C&G Newspapers), March 6, 2020:

Kroger
    gas station [[presumably also Kroger)
    Panera Bread

https://www.candgnews.com/news/bring...-shores-117208

Construction delayed due to coronavirus
    https://www.macombdaily.com/news/cor...4d204a709.html

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but does anyone have any updated details on the Kroger that is supposed to be going in that space? Is it supposed to be some high end Kroger?
    Because the parcel is so large, I believe the original plan was for a Kroger Marketplace, which is a regular food market with expanded services & merchandise [[some clothing, small appliances, etc.).

Other than what was in the pipeline, I've read Kroger has since discontinued expanding the Marketplace concept because the additional square footage wasn't generating the anticipated revenue. As recently as 5 years ago, Kroger was planning to go full force against powerhouses like Meijer & Wal Mart with the discount store & food market under one roof format. They are obviously retreating.

This is especially puzzling because Kroger has been operating highly successful Fred Meyer in the West [[which some would say is superior to Meijer in quality & selection). It seems to me all they had to do was replicate it in the Midwest. Marketplace was a timid & inferior attempt.
    Last edited by Onthe405; April-10-20 at 11:58 AM.

What will become of the two other Kroger’s within a mile of this one?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    What will become of the two other Kroger’s within a mile of this one?
    We use the Harper Woods location occasionally. But it is very cramped given that it was wedged into an undersized footprint. I would be shocked if that one would stay open if this one opens so close by. But this small footprint situation is not uncommon for Kroger on the East side. The Mack Ave and GP Village locations both deal with the same situation. We have become accustomed to it, and rotate between the three based on what we need because we live equidistant between them all.

^^^ Sadly the Kroger in the Village [[on Kercheval) has had a staff person to pass away from C-19. I've worked in that area and enjoyed that Kroger withstanding it's small footprint size.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...us/2977231001/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    We use the Harper Woods location occasionally. But it is very cramped given that it was wedged into an undersized footprint. I would be shocked if that one would stay open if this one opens so close by. But this small footprint situation is not uncommon for Kroger on the East side. The Mack Ave and GP Village locations both deal with the same situation. We have become accustomed to it, and rotate between the three based on what we need because we live equidistant between them all.
    Don't forget the Marter Road Kroger, which is pretty huge. It was one of their larger-sized stores before Kroger Marketplace.

Parking sucks though.

EDIT: Then there's the one on 9 Mile and Little Mack...
    Last edited by 313WX; April-12-20 at 02:53 PM.

Seems pretty likely that they would close one or more existing locations if they actually proceed with a store at 9 Mile and Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Don't forget the Marter Road Kroger, which is pretty huge. It was one of their larger-sized stores before Kroger Marketplace.

Parking sucks though.

EDIT: Then there's the one on 9 Mile and Little Mack...
    I believe you are referring to the Kroger on Nine Mile Road just east of Mack Avenue. There is no Little Mack & Nine Mile intersection. Little Mack ends at Harper about a half mile north of Nine Mile.

The Kroger on Nine Mile east of Mack is slated to close when the new store opens at Nine Mile and Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I believe you are referring to the Kroger on Nine Mile Road just east of Mack Avenue. There is no Little Mack & Nine Mile intersection. Little Mack ends at Harper about a half mile north of Nine Mile.

The Kroger on Nine Mile east of Mack is slated to close when the new store opens at Nine Mile and Harper.
    You're on the right track for 9 Mile and Mack....

FYI - for many years this was the #1 Kmart store in the entire chain, both in terms of total sales and sales per sq. ft.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    FYI - for many years this was the #1 Kmart store in the entire chain, both in terms of total sales and sales per sq. ft.
    I recall hearing the same. Such a shame to see the chain and this store fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're on the right track for 9 Mile and Mack....
    Is Roy O'Brien Ford still on 9 & Mack?

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Is Roy O'Brien Ford still on 9 & Mack?
    It is.

If you get on the right track, you'll find it.

I used to skate on frozen ponds & play in the woods when a wee lad where that KMart is/was now. Dad's sister lived right behind it.

This Kmarts was my go to store for years it was close to the house it was my Walmarts, Target of the day. It went from being very well stocked, clean and had a crowd of what you would see in a Target then over the years it was started a slow downward spiral. There are some great YouTube Videos on the downfall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1__Qg1toSSs

I used to go to this store all the time as a kid with my parents, a tree we bought there and planted in front of our house in the mid 80s is now huge.

The store also had a cafe/restaurant back in the day, I once saw a lady dressed up as Smurfette eating there when i was a little kid around 85, I can still picture her blue-ness LOL.

The building is now gone. They are currently removing the old parking lot.

I think building another Kroger here and closing one of the other nearby ones is a big waste of money.

I would rather the land be divided in 2 [[2 parcels facing 9 Mile Rd.) and put in a pair of auto dealerships. There are already 3 auto dealerships in a 1.25 mile stretch of 9 Mile Rd. [[Roy O'Brien Ford, a Mercedes dealer, and a Cadillac dealer)... and putting in 2 more would kinda make it a destination for auto buyers, much like Mack Ave. used to be on the Detroit side of the Grosse Pointe border.

Auto dealership - problem is the 6 mile rule. You can't place another franchise within 6 miles of an existing dealership of the same make. Most dealers have too big of an investment in their current location to move to a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Auto dealership - problem is the 6 mile rule. You can't place another franchise within 6 miles of an existing dealership of the same make. Most dealers have too big of an investment in their current location to move to a new one.
    Who suggested that?

Logic would assume 2 different dealerships would locate there of a type not within the 1.25 mile stretch.

As for dealership moves... the Cadillac dealer that used to be on 8 Mile & Harper... moved to 9 Mile near I-94... and what replaced the 8 Mile & Harper Cadillac dealer... a Kroger.
    Last edited by Gistok; May-04-20 at 05:42 PM.

The Cadillac dealer can move as often as he wants [[there are some restrictions) as long as he doesn't move within 6 miles of another Cadillac dealership.

Very few dealerships are willing or able to move to another location and walk away from the investment and large mortgage they have in their existing location, unless they have a ready, willing and able buyer for their existing location, which was the case with 8 Mile and Harper Cadillac dealership. Kroger wanted the location and bought them out.
    Last edited by GPCharles; May-05-20 at 01:03 PM.

The Mercedes Benz of St. Clair Shores is a new dealership, no relocation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast