Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Images & Videos of the Corona Virus Crisis

The Corona Virus Crisis has changed the world as we know it and I invite you to add your images of how this world-turned-upside down appears to you. Here's my kickoff.

A hot double feature at Farmington's Civic Theater?
    Name:  Covid-Farmington-marquee.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  115.5 KB

Further up Grand River Greg Cowley of Cowley's & Sons Irish Pub puts up a sunbrella on the barren sidewalks. "Are you serving?", I asked incredulously. "No but were serving carry-out and I thought this would help show that we are open for that."
    Name:  Covid-Farmington-cowleys.jpg
Views: 2787
Size:  153.8 KB

Downtown Vancouver sounds like this every night at 7pm, as people gather on their balconies and front porches and salute health care and other essential service workers. All the sound is coming from across the water, it was deserted where I was shooting from.

Wait, looks like embedded Vimeo videos don't work here? Direct link: https://vimeo.com/405903955

Last edited by Király; April-09-20 at 11:46 AM.

Image of the times... Physically-distanced shoppers await entry into an ACE hardware store while a red-shirted employee mans the doorway.
    Name:  PhyicallyDistanced.jpg
Views: 2525
Size:  104.3 KB

I watched this scene from a bench across Grand River for a half hour. While these shoppers were unmasked about a half of the shoppers did wear masks.

I tried to upload a photo/video with no luck...HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I tried to upload a photo/video with no luck...HELP!
    Unfortunately video upload is not possible. The best option is to upload it to YouTube then use the share link to post it here.

We have had deer in the yard before but this is getting ridiculous!

Name:  50C50B59-97E1-4C25-9E33-EA37556EEF97.jpg
Views: 2450
Size:  99.2 KB

Default Made Some Videos of Detroit During Quarantine

With life slowing down due to the quarantine, I found some time to put my dash cam to use and begin making some videos of neighborhoods and main streets in the city.

With so many structures being razed, new structures being created, and murals/street art being covered up in Detroit among other changes quickly happening, my hope is these videos can be used as a point of reference for the buildings, establishments, art, etc. that exist in each of these areas for comparison in the future…or just to simply serve as a relaxing way to virtually experience various parts of the city.

Downtown - Part 1

Greektown

Murals of Eastern Market - Part 1

Fort Street – Delray to Downtown

The next videos will be of North Corktown [[the neighborhood I’ve lived in for the past 8 years), Brush Park, and the remaining two parts of the Murals in Eastern Market series.

Let me know if there are any particular areas you would like to see in future videos or any criticisms you would like to voice? In my 10+ years of coming on this forum I know there is not any shortage of opinions on here when it comes to the city.

Lastly, my intention wasn’t to make these videos when the streets are empty, however our current circumstances have given me the time and ability to make these videos [[just like many others have recently found time to invest in their own fun projects of passion) so I’m just rolling with it.
    *No people were interacted with and no establishments were visited during the making of these videos. Hope everyone on here is doing well and staying safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post

Name:  50C50B59-97E1-4C25-9E33-EA37556EEF97.jpg
Views: 2450
Size:  99.2 KB
    They look like they're wondering where everyone went. Cute

Quote Originally Posted by Justin SOD View Post
    With life slowing down due to the quarantine, I found some time to put my dash cam to use and begin making some videos of neighborhoods and main streets in the city.
    Absolutely fabulous and fascinating Justin SOD! Downtown Detroit becomes Ghost Town Detroit. Thanks.

Another frequent sign of the time I have encountered a few times now are sidewalk chalk shout-outs of appreciations to our new unsung heroes, our essential workers who are braving the epidemic to take care of our afflicted, feed us and keep our core infrastructure moving.
    Name:  ThankYou.jpg
Views: 2391
Size:  70.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Absolutely fabulous and fascinating Justin SOD! Downtown Detroit becomes Ghost Town Detroit. Thanks.
    It's an interesting contrast. That level of population is about what I would see when I used to drive downtown in the mid 90s when going to WSU. There would be a bit more activity around the city/county building and Greektown, and more cars of course. I think it's encouraging that this level of de-population now seems strange for downtown.

Default As humans stay indoors, wild animals take back what was once theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Name:  goats.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  38.4 KB
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...8f8_story.html

A montage of twitter videos about the lansing coronavirus lock down backlash...https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...reopen-economy

Another Corona Virus sign of the times... Empty shelves.
    Name:  IMG_6179.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  114.3 KB

Art-inspired video by DJ Squarepusher aboard an empty People Mover as it circles the empty streets of Corona Virus quarantined Detroit.

Another Corona Virus sign of the times... Empty shelves.
    Name:  IMG_6179.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  114.3 KB
    I've found that there is an inverse relationship to the size of the store and what is available. Our local Meijer was out of a few things - peanut butter, beans, rice, etc...

Papa Joe's in Birmingham had pretty much everything except flour.

Our friends say that International Market in Sterling Heights even has flour.

Yeah, folks are starting to remember they can cook [[or learning) hence the beans and rice shortage! Some odd, off the 'beaten' trail stores here and there have these items. The few independent markets in Hamtramck do. Aldi's... Biglots [[have canned beans).

I've not gone into a Meijer's or Kroger's in over a month...
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-23-20 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I've found that there is an inverse relationship to the size of the store and what is available. Our local Meijer was out of a few things - peanut butter, beans, rice, etc...

Papa Joe's in Birmingham had pretty much everything except flour.

Our friends say that International Market in Sterling Heights even has flour.
    Supply chains are much more complex for the big chains. Also, normally their computerized ordering system tells them what to replace. When people start buying much larger quantities of beans, flour etc. the purchasing dept. has to ramp it up manually and decide if they will continue to sell 2, 3 or 4 times as much of those items.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, folks are starting to remember they can cook [[or learning) hence the beans and rice shortage! Some odd, off the 'beaten' trail stores here and there have these items. The few independent markets in Hamtramck do. Aldi's... Biglots [[have canned beans).

I've not gone into a Meijer's or Kroger's in over a month...
    Same here, Haven't been in a Big Store 4 or 5 weeks. My wife and daughter have gotten to be experts at using the Walmart Online grocery and pickup system. It is convenient. The substitutions and deletions are diminshing too. Latest order had everything!

Local meat market will let you order over phone then I will walk in and pay cash at the counter and leave quickly.

Freezer is filling up, canned goods are stockpiling. Funny thing is we seem to be eating less which is a good thing.

As an aside, I do miss Hamtramck . The "A Little Touch of Europe" era.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; April-24-20 at 08:39 AM.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...es/2995565001/

Nestled alongside a pleasant town square, the Penn Theatre is usually a place to see a nearly-new film for $3 inside a lovingly maintained theater dating back to 1941.Now the entertainment hub for Plymouth, Michigan, is bringing people together during the COVID-19 crisis in a different way — through movie quotes on its marquee.

The Corona Virus Crisis has changed the world as we know it and I invite you to add your images of how this world-turned-upside down appears to you. Here's my kickoff.

A hot double feature at Farmington's Civic Theater?
    Name:  Covid-Farmington-marquee.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  115.5 KB

Further up Grand River Greg Cowley of Cowley's & Sons Irish Pub puts up a sunbrella on the barren sidewalks. "Are you serving?", I asked incredulously. "No but were serving carry-out and I thought this would help show that we are open for that."
    Name:  Covid-Farmington-cowleys.jpg
Views: 2787
Size:  153.8 KB

Hello Neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin SOD View Post

With so many structures being razed, new structures being created, and murals/street art being covered up in Detroit among other changes quickly happening, my hope is these videos can be used as a point of reference for the buildings, establishments, art, etc. that exist in each of these areas for comparison in the future…or just to simply serve as a relaxing way to virtually experience various parts of the city.

Downtown - Part 1

Greektown

Murals of Eastern Market - Part 1

Fort Street – Delray to Downtown

The next videos will be of North Corktown [[the neighborhood I’ve lived in for the past 8 years), Brush Park, and the remaining two parts of the Murals in Eastern Market series.

Let me know if there are any particular areas you would like to see in future videos or any criticisms you would like to voice? In my 10+ years of coming on this forum I know there is not any shortage of opinions on here when it comes to the city.

Lastly, my intention wasn’t to make these videos when the streets are empty, however our current circumstances have given me the time and ability to make these videos [[just like many others have recently found time to invest in their own fun projects of passion) so I’m just rolling with it.
    *No people were interacted with and no establishments were visited during the making of these videos. Hope everyone on here is doing well and staying safe!
    Giberttown Detroit, Now a ghost town.

^^^Hah! An incentive indeed. Now if they just start to offer disinfectant wipes!

They'll have a stampede!!

Graduation in the age of Corona Virus.

Name:  Covid-Graduation.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  199.0 KB

Farmer's Market in the age of Corona Virus.

Name:  Covid-Farmers-Market.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  115.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast