Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Some car insurance companies are giving corona refunds

so far, it's allstate and liberty mutual but state farm, progressive, and aaa are "watching the trends".
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ds/2956477001/

i REALLY wish the insurance companies would allow us an option to donate our refunds to pay for those who currently can't pay their insurance at all. i'm sure the refunds will likely just be credits to next billing but, especially at a time like this with so many unemployed and facing tight [[or no) budgets, wish we could also help this way.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm49269 View Post
    so far, it's allstate and liberty mutual but state farm, progressive, and aaa are "watching the trends".
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ds/2956477001/

i REALLY wish the insurance companies would allow us an option to donate our refunds to pay for those who currently can't pay their insurance at all. i'm sure the refunds will likely just be credits to next billing but, especially at a time like this with so many unemployed and facing tight [[or no) budgets, wish we could also help this way.
    I got an email from Travelers today that I’d be getting a rebate for April and May.

Supposedly most are giving back 15%,. but State Farm tells us they're doing 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Supposedly most are giving back 15%,. but State Farm tells us they're doing 25%.
    I just got my payment notice and I don't see any discount compared to last year. "Just Like Your Neighbors, State Farm Don't Care..."

SafeCo says 15%. Since I rarely drive and am on such a low mileage rate, I figure I'll be able to buy a pack of TP. If I can find one.

Pssst! I know a guy that can get you what you need. His motto is "Don't get by on your own supply..."

Name:  Scareface.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  56.1 KB

I found TP as Dollar Castle [[there are only a few DC's - google). They had the coveted four-packs 1000 sheets on a roll goodness! Keep that info on the down-low please ......

CVS still has Scott too - varied stores. Go fast when they open. Call and to get their delivery days.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    SafeCo says 15%. Since I rarely drive and am on such a low mileage rate, I figure I'll be able to buy a pack of TP. If I can find one.

curious thing about car insurance: when i retired and went from driving minimum 200 miles per week to - maybe - 20 per week, i expected my rates to go down because of less usage. but NOPE! in fact, agent said that they're not even reporting my retirement to main State Farm because then my rates would go UP! apparently, after looking around, this is common in the industry. makes no sense to me; drive less, pay more.

^^ Check other companies. I get big discounts for so little driving [[under 5,000 m/yr).

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ Check other companies. I get big discounts for so little driving [[under 5,000 m/yr).
    thanks, Meddle, i did. with our current bundling of home, etc., others weren't competitive though some did offer lower rates for less driving.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm49269 View Post
    curious thing about car insurance: when i retired and went from driving minimum 200 miles per week to - maybe - 20 per week, i expected my rates to go down because of less usage. but NOPE! in fact, agent said that they're not even reporting my retirement to main State Farm because then my rates would go UP! apparently, after looking around, this is common in the industry. makes no sense to me; drive less, pay more.
    I believe it increases when you hit age 65.
    Last edited by Maof; April-12-20 at 07:24 AM.

Here's an article from last year regarding auto insurance and medicare.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ge/3664301002/

Yep. You go back into the high risk, high rate. Joyful!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post

oh, and don't DARE tell them that your retirement is due to disability! IMHO, most insurance is a rip-off and they'll find any excuse to raise your rates.

That's nuts, should be the complete opposite.

^^^ Then some try to keep driving well after they should not... abilities do wane with time.

"That's nuts, should be the complete opposite."

"Then some try to keep driving well after they should not... abilities do wane with time."

I agree with both of you. They should probably do a road test at a certain "older" age, say maybe 70/75? Who knows, maybe they do. I'm not there yet though

"That's nuts, should be the complete opposite."

"Then some try to keep driving well after they should not... abilities do wane with time."

I agree with both of you. They should probably do a road test at a certain "older" age, say maybe 70/75? Who knows, maybe they do. I'm not there yet though

You got a good point. They should be required to take a road test at a certain age, to make sure they can still see, react and hear. I had to pry the keys out of my Mother's hand, when she turned 85, and got into a few fender benders. She didn't want to give them up at all.

Yes, I had to do the same with an elder friend in their 90's. I helped persuade her, pointing out that waning abilities combined with increasing speed-nuts on the road was a bad combo. 'Defensive' driving skills diminish with advanced age!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, I had to do the same with an elder friend in their 90's. I helped persuade her, pointing out that waning abilities combined with increasing speed-nuts on the road was a bad combo. 'Defensive' driving skills diminish with advanced age!
    Sit her down to a few hours of YouTube dash cam videos. I've seen so many where a speeding idiot will launch his car over an intersection into you're car waiting at a light.

I just received a notification from AAA that they are offering a 20% discount via check.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    I just received a notification from AAA that they are offering a 20% discount via check.
    Excellent. Called last week and they couldn't give me an answer. Thanks!

Excellent. Called last week and they couldn't give me an answer. Thanks!
    You're Welcome..

Restricting independence of the elderly, how wonderful.

I'd be more in favor of testing younger drivers. And mandating speed limiters. No reason at all for any passenger vehicle to even be able to top 100 MPH. Not restricting independence, just making the roads safer ... you know ... for the common good. More good there than making people stay home ... and go stir crazy.

If the insurance companies didn't do this voluntarily, the regulatory agencies probably would have made them do it. They have to maintain a certain ratio of incoming and outgoing cash, by regulation. If the cost of insuring drivers goes down, they have to lower the prices to maintain the ratio.

In any case, it's nice that they are doing it. The one company advertising they are doing it to "help out the community" rubs me the wrong way, though.