Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default R.I.P. Al Kaline

No word yet if it was virus related.

Oh no

Default Al Kaline has passed away @ age 85

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...ers/505371001/

not sure if it had anything to do with covfefe19 but folks sure seem to be dropping a lot lately
    Last edited by mtm49269; April-06-20 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm49269 View Post
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...ers/505371001/

not sure if it had anything to do with covfefe19 but folks sure seem to be dropping a lot lately
    He recently suffered a stroke according to The News:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...85/2956782001/

RIP 6. It's too bad he won't receive the send off he deserves.

The consummate gentleman and genuine five tool player. Farewell Number 6.

One of the simplest but coolest nicknames ever:

MISTER TIGER.

As someone else said, a genuine 5-tool player. Hit for average, hit for power, near perfect as a fielder, an arm you didn't run on without significant risk. Incredibly consistent. I remember reading something once that Kaline had one of the 5 lowest "empty game percentages" [[an "empty game" being one where a player doesn't record a hit, walk or RBI) of anyone in MLB history.

And in THE "high stakes, most do or die at-bat" of his career - the 7th Inning of Game 5 of the 1968 World Series - he came through with the game-winning 2-run hit. It wasn't the hardest hit baseball ever, but he got the baseball to drop into shallow CF-RF in just the right spot. It got the job done.

In fact, the Tigers never trailed in that World Series again. Everyone remembers Game 7 of the 1968 Series, but that never happens if Kaline doesn't come through 2 games earlier.

An absolutely great baseball player and a Detroit legend. RIP Mr. Tiger.
    Last edited by MrNittany; April-06-20 at 04:50 PM.

My favorite Tiger of all time, some other players came close, but he was my favorite. He was just the complete player.

When he was delivering his hall of fame induction speech. He said something that I always remembered as being so true. This is not an exact quote, but it’s close - he said - Detroit is a big city but it’s a small town too.

Those Sunday doubleheaders with the Yankees that my dad loved to see. 2 for the price of 1 attracted him, some in '61 were spectacular. Al always leading the charge. The last sports hero of my childhood is gone. RIP Mr Kaline, thanks for superb memories. '68 is branded into my brain forever.

So sad, and sure not what this area needed right now. Along with Gordie he was one of the real sports heroes of my youth.

One of my warmest memories was my dad taking me to my first Tigers game on a warm spring Sunday and sitting in the upper deck in right field. There he was, #6 on his back, right in front of me! Early in the game he ran after hard hit line drive screaming towards the fence and disappeared under the overhang. A delayed roar let us know that he had somehow caught it. A few innings later he came up and popped an opposite field shot into the upper deck about 10 rows in front of us, to complete a Tigers win.

Later his voice, his soft Baltimore tone contrasting with George Kell's loud Arkansas drawl, became a part of our area's summer soundtrack for many years.

He will be remembered, and he will be missed. Bye Al...

One of my Childhood Hero's

Memory of my dad taking me to a game and on the way out stopping by the players locker room door. A minute later an umpire friend of my dads exits, comes over and says that someone wanted to meet me. Out walks Al Kaline. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't speak! He wished me well with my baseball endeavors as I played right field too, signed my program and left a lasting impression on a young boy.
    Sadly lost the signed program in a flood but the memory is indelible.
    Thanks Dad. Thanks Al.

I never got to see him play, but he was on television when I became a Tiger fan. I will always remember during the division race of 1984 as the Tigers had to keep an eye on Toronto. Every combo of a Toronto loss & Tiger victory during September prompted Al to say "That's another nail in the coffin for Toronto". He kept saying that the whole month until the 18th when they clinched.

It's a sad day for Detroit. A great guy from what I am led to believe. I grew up watching him play, sat behind him when he came into the 1971 All Star game out in right field.

It's a shame that more footage of Al's playing career didn't survive from Channel 2. Kaline and Clemente may have been the best throwing outfielders ever.

Nice to watch last evening's broadcast of the 1968 World Series Game 7 and follow-up tribute to Al Kaline. I was just 12 years old at the time, but remember the season and the series and the celebration. Cars honking wildly and TP-filled trees!!

Shared some of the articles and tributes with my younger brothers out West last evening as we recalled that Game 7 victory and Mr Tiger!

RIP Al Kaline #6 Mr Tiger! We will always remember your humility and your talents and what you brought to us Tiger fans and the city of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    It's a shame that more footage of Al's playing career didn't survive from Channel 2. Kaline and Clemente may have been the best throwing outfielders ever.
    You ran on Al Kaline and tried for that extra base at you own peril. He had a terrific arm. Also, the way he played that double carom off the right field walls were a thing of beauty.

Touching Jeff Daniels song about his hero Al Kaline [[closed out Devin Scillion's Flashpoint this morning):
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/video...segment-three/