Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Windsor Star: Threat across border our Achilles heel in pandemic

The many Canadian working in Detroit's health care system [and the few Michiganders working in Windsor] is creating controversy in Windsor and Canada as seen in the Windsor Star Op-ed.

The two-way gist of this piece is a call for those Canadian medical personal to stay in Windsor so as not to become carriers from the now hot spot of Detroit [it is noted that the City of Detroit alone has more cases than Ontario at this point and of Windsor CoV cases "almost one-third of the confirmed cases here involve health care workers, and more than half travel to the U.S."]. The second point made is that they are needed in Windsor for its increasing case load.

But this begs a "fair weather friends" question. If workers flee, or are forbidden to cross and work, will any hospital be inclined to hire Canadians in the future if this shows unreliability now when they are most needed?

Also mentioned as a supporting argument is that any Canadians entering Canada are required to be quarantined for 14 Days. I know. I have Windsor friends who returned from Indonesia and are stuck in Vancouver.

The solution being offered is to set up housing on both sides.

It’s a unique and tricky dilemma. The United States is Canada’s best and longest ally and its neighbour. And here on the border, not only our economies but our people are inextricably linked. We benefit immensely from our proximity to Detroit. We can not leave them when they need us most.

But we must protect our community. We need to reduce the number of people who cross daily. Are they all critical? Can part-time work be consolidated into full-time?

Windsor Regional Hospital will no longer have staff who work both here and in Michigan.

It also offers apartments for staff from outside this area. Four staff from Michigan are using them. They’ve temporarily moved to Windsor.

Windsor is even offering hotel rooms for hospital staff here who are concerned about infecting their families. More than 30 staff are using the rooms.
    Yet another unforeseen consequence of this pandemic that now threatens to damage our relations with our international metropolis partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The many Canadian working in Detroit's health care system [and the few Michiganders working in Windsor] is creating controversy in Windsor and Canada as seen in the Windsor Star Op-ed.

The two-way gist of this piece is a call for those Canadian medical personal to stay in Windsor so as not to become carriers from the now hot spot of Detroit [it is noted that the City of Detroit alone has more cases than Ontario at this point and of Windsor CoV cases "almost one-third of the confirmed cases here involve health care workers, and more than half travel to the U.S."]. The second point made is that they are needed in Windsor for its increasing case load.

But this begs a "fair weather friends" question. If workers flee, or are forbidden to cross and work, will any hospital be inclined to hire Canadians in the future if this shows unreliability now when they are most needed?

Also mentioned as a supporting argument is that any Canadians entering Canada are required to be quarantined for 14 Days. I know. I have Windsor friends who returned from Indonesia and are stuck in Vancouver.

The solution being offered is to set up housing on both sides.

Yet another unforeseen consequence of this pandemic that now threatens to damage our relations with our international metropolis partners.
    I hope that most of this is just a media storm. Prefer to think that adversity will make the relationship stronger. Did you hear the story on As It Happens [[CBC) last night. I only caught a part of it, but heartwarming.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...roit-1.5523418

I've seen many more stories along these lines:

https://windsorstar.com/opinion/colu...e-time-of-need

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I've seen many more stories along these lines:

https://windsorstar.com/opinion/colu...e-time-of-need
    Bravo to Windsor Star columnist Gord Henderson in chastising both Windsor MP's and for sticking up for the D in the grave time of need. The bravery of Windsor health care workers in Detroit hospitals harkens back to 1967 when Windsor sent fire fighters into the fury and gunfire of the 1967 riot.

"Rookie Liberal MP Irek Kusmierczyk added this week that all options are being considered, including restricting cross-border travel for health-care employees, to prevent further spread, but he at least had the decency to concede further restrictions on the 1,600 Windsor cross-border health-care workers could seriously harm Detroit’s healthcare system.

"Seriously harm? One of my relatives, working with coronavirus patients in a Detroit hospital I’m not at liberty to name, cut to the chase: “You would basically be sentencing people to death. People would die because of that and there would be blood on those Canadian politicians’ hands."

I'm all in favor of steps to protect them by all means necessary but to have drawn salaries and benefits for years and then abandon their fellow hospital workers, not to mention the patients, in this dark hour would stain them with with cowardice and greed.

Bravo to Windsor Star columnist Gord Henderson in chastising both Windsor MP's and for sticking up for the D in the grave time of need. The bravery of Windsor health care workers in Detroit hospitals harkens back to 1967 when Windsor sent fire fighters into the fury and gunfire of the 1967 riot.

"Rookie Liberal MP Irek Kusmierczyk added this week that all options are being considered, including restricting cross-border travel for health-care employees, to prevent further spread, but he at least had the decency to concede further restrictions on the 1,600 Windsor cross-border health-care workers could seriously harm Detroit’s healthcare system.

"Seriously harm? One of my relatives, working with coronavirus patients in a Detroit hospital I’m not at liberty to name, cut to the chase: “You would basically be sentencing people to death. People would die because of that and there would be blood on those Canadian politicians’ hands."

I'm all in favor of steps to protect them by all means necessary but to have drawn salaries and benefits for years and then abandon their fellow hospital workers, not to mention the patients, in this dark hour would stain them with with cowardice and greed.
    I'm certain it's not going to happen because Trudeau wouldn't even use the threat of it when Trump held up the 3M supplies. However, I don't think it would "stain them with cowardice and greed" if it was mandated by politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm certain it's not going to happen because Trudeau wouldn't even use the threat of it when Trump held up the 3M supplies. However, I don't think it would "stain them with cowardice and greed" if it was mandated by politicians.
    Which is why no politician would do it. They would look like the cowards and have to take responsibility for the resulting job losses that would likely occur.

Through this site I understand the special relationship,but why does Detroit an American city depend on across the border healthcare workers in something as critical as this?

This virus is but 1 of a 100 different emergency scenarios and you find out the weak links at that time,do they work cheaper or are US healthcare workers banned from hospitals?

If it is true that the Detroit healthcare system will collapse without cross border workers,then there is a bigger problem then with what is being faced.

Everybody knew,but it seems like nobody had or has any kind of contingency plans,even worse after the terrorist attacks showed us anything can happen at anytime.

What happens if the next flu season is worse then the past?

Its been going on for decades, a shortage of qualified nurses in Detroit, a large inventory of well trained nurses in Windsor / Essex County, as well as great pay in U.S. dollars for them. hospitals have long desired the training and work abilities of these nurses. In recent surveys the vast majority of Canadian nurses, despite Trumps dissing of shipping masks to Canada causing great anger to Canadians, said their first priority is their patients, who badly need them and will continue to commute. They could be absorbed in Canada now, but they don't want to turn their backs on the patients who need them now more than ever.Thankfully, they get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Through this site I understand the special relationship,but why does Detroit an American city depend on across the border healthcare workers in something as critical as this?

This virus is but 1 of a 100 different emergency scenarios and you find out the weak links at that time,do they work cheaper or are US healthcare workers banned from hospitals?

If it is true that the Detroit healthcare system will collapse without cross border workers,then there is a bigger problem then with what is being faced.

Everybody knew,but it seems like nobody had or has any kind of contingency plans,even worse after the terrorist attacks showed us anything can happen at anytime.

What happens if the next flu season is worse then the past?
    Many other states pay a lot more for nurses than Michigan. That's why there's a shortage. Top 3 average pay states for nurses.

1. California: $106,865
    2. Oregon: $104,844
    3. Nevada: $104,167

Nevada also has no state income taxes unlike Michigan and ends up being #1 for after tax pay.

Michigan is #42 at $76,161.

The after tax pay sucks in Michigan for Americans. RNs in Ontario make about the same number as in Michigan, but in CDN money so now you're talking $100K CDN after conversion.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...or-nurses.html

Here's how the 50 states ranked in annual average salaries for full-time nurses, according to the survey:

1. California: $106,865
    2. Oregon: $104,844
    3. Nevada: $104,167
    4. Arizona: $102,348
    5. Utah: $101,905
    6. Hawaii: $101,786
    7. South Dakota: $100,000
    8. New York: $98,869
    9. Massachusetts: $98,596
    10. Minnesota: $97,143
    11. Colorado: $95,357
    12. Connecticut: $95,062
    13. Maryland: $94,585
    14. Delaware: $93,800
    15. Wisconsin: $92,264
    16. Missouri: $91,667
    17. Washington: $91,061
    18. Alaska: $90,556
    19. Mississippi: $90,541
    20. New Jersey: $89,298
    21. Illinois: $89,073
    22. New Hampshire: $88,955
    23. Rhode Island: $88,929
    24. Louisiana: $88,267
    25. Wyoming: $87,037
    26. Texas: $86,250
    27. Oklahoma: $86,000
    28. Idaho: $85,200
    29. Virginia: $85,000
    30. Tennessee: $84,085
    31. Indiana: $83,968
    32. Vermont: $83,810
    33. Georgia: $83,520
    34. New Mexico: $82,987
    35. Pennsylvania: $81,623
    36. Maine: $80,800
    37. Arkansas: $78,205
    38. North Dakota: $77,273
    39. South Carolina: $77,006
    40. Kentucky: $76,833
    41. Florida: $76,253
    42. Michigan: $76,161
    43. North Carolina: $73,858
    44. Alabama: $73,510
    45. Montana: $71,864
    46. Ohio: $69,556
    47. Kansas: $68,621
    48. Nebraska: $67,907
    49. Iowa: $66,238
    50. West Virginia: $63,416

A state like California is like ten times more expensive to live, that's not an apples to apples comparison at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    A state like California is like ten times more expensive to live, that's not an apples to apples comparison at all.
    No sh*t Sherlock. There are 41 other states that pay more than Michigan. Michigan is near the bottom for pay.

Nevada also has no state income taxes unlike Michigan and ends up being #1 for after tax pay. After tax pay in Nevada is around 50% higher than Michigan. You can also rent an apartment in Las Vegas for $600/mth. It's not expensive to live there. There's your apples to apples.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Its been going on for decades, a shortage of qualified nurses in Detroit, a large inventory of well trained nurses in Windsor / Essex County, as well as great pay in U.S. dollars for them. hospitals have long desired the training and work abilities of these nurses. In recent surveys the vast majority of Canadian nurses, despite Trumps dissing of shipping masks to Canada causing great anger to Canadians, said their first priority is their patients, who badly need them and will continue to commute. They could be absorbed in Canada now, but they don't want to turn their backs on the patients who need them now more than ever.Thankfully, they get it.
    Detroit also is the closest metropolitan for these nurses to work at level 1 trauma centers. So you are always going to have some nurses come across the river to work if they desire that type of job while living in Windsor.

Is the term” Threat across border” just a racist code-word for “those black people in Detroit”? If the Oakland Press used the term “threat across 8 Mile Road” I suspect it would be considered hate speech and a racist dog-whistle in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Is the term” Threat across border” just a racist code-word for “those black people in Detroit”? If the Oakland Press used the term “threat across 8 Mile Road” I suspect it would be considered hate speech and a racist dog-whistle in disguise.
    FFS it most certainly is not.

What it is........is a reference to the fact Detroit is a 'hot zone'; and the rate of infection and mortality far exceeds the Ontario and Canada numbers.

The worry is importation of more Covid via the nurses.

Wow.

I don't think you're wrong here, this definitely has those sorts of undertones to it. It's an irresponsible headline for sure.

The elephant in the room here that nobody’s mentioned is medical insurance and access to medical services. Even though they have so called free medical it is tough to get good treatment in Windsor. It’s a win win for them along with higher pay US dollars and access to our medical!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    The elephant in the room here that nobody’s mentioned is medical insurance and access to medical services. Even though they have so called free medical it is tough to get good treatment in Windsor. It’s a win win for them along with higher pay US dollars and access to our medical!
    Ok, I've had enough of this misinformed bullshit.

Go have a look at the Newsweek list of the best hospitals in the world........several are in Ontario,

3 in the top 30 in the world; only 1 from Michigan.

Toronto General #4 in the world.......

U. Mich, Ann-Arbor #15

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Ok, I've had enough of this misinformed bullshit.

Go have a look at the Newsweek list of the best hospitals in the world........several are in Ontario,

3 in the top 30 in the world; only 1 from Michigan.

Toronto General #4 in the world.......

U. Mich, Ann-Arbor #15

https://www.newsweek.com/best-hospitals-2020

So, looking @ the list, the first 50, 3 are in Toronto. Windsor has none listed. What would make more sense, drive 206 miles to Toronto, or cross the border to the Medical Center, where there are specialized hospitals to deal with specialized issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/best-hospitals-2020

So, looking @ the list, the first 50, 3 are in Toronto. Windsor has none listed. What would make more sense, drive 206 miles to Toronto, or cross the border to the Medical Center, where there are specialized hospitals to deal with specialized issues?
    Did you note that no Detroit-based hospital made the list?

Windsor does have a large hospital, it has level-2 Trauma Care, Neo-Natal ICU, Cancer Care, Regional Stroke Centre, CT/MRI/PET Scanners.

There are no procedures for which you cross the border routinely.

Level 1 Trauma care may, though, there is level 1 Trauma care in London, ON and in Hamilton, ON as well as Toronto, so you would only be sent to Detroit, by land ambulance, if it were life/death; and there wasn't time to get you to London/Toronto by chopper.

If, you need a procedure for which you get an appointment, and that care isn't in Windsor, you would be sent to London or Toronto.

That's how the system works.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Did you note that no Detroit-based hospital made the list?

Windsor does have a large hospital, it has level-2 Trauma Care, Neo-Natal ICU, Cancer Care, Regional Stroke Centre, CT/MRI/PET Scanners.

There are no procedures for which you cross the border routinely.

Level 1 Trauma care may, though, there is level 1 Trauma care in London, ON and in Hamilton, ON as well as Toronto, so you would only be sent to Detroit, by land ambulance, if it were life/death; and there wasn't time to get you to London/Toronto by chopper.

If, you need a procedure for which you get an appointment, and that care isn't in Windsor, you would be sent to London or Toronto.

That's how the system works.

And by your estimates, how long is that wait? If your medical coverage is in the US, as in the cases of the nurses, you just drive over the border. It also makes it convenient for subsequent follow-up visits. You also may have noticed there are 5 hospitals listed in the US, 3 rated higher than the 3 in Toronto. I'm going on go with Wheels post. Because the nurses are making better wages, and do have more of a choice in their medical coverage, it is a "win-win" for them. Thanx for their being here and their service.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    So why do Canadians have longer life expectancy [by over three years] and lower infant mortality rates than the US?

How many Canadians have been bankrupted by medical bills vs. the US?

Speaking of things medical, Canadian and the border... nice sense of humor by the prosecutor.

Canadian Nurse Busted with 150 Pounds of marijuana at Detroit Border.

She showed up at the border in scrubs and a lab coat, the feds say, then got busted with a trunk full of weed.

A Canadian nurse has been charged with sneaking more than 150 pounds of marijuana into the U.S. by using her medical credentials - including a work badge from Henry Ford Hospital - to cross the border into Detroit, which is only open to essential travel because of the COVID-19 crisis.

As the top prosecutor put it, smuggling 143 vacuum sealed bags of marijuana into the country “simply isn't essential.”

Terri Leanne Maxwell, 48, a registered nurse from Amherstburg, Ontario, was charged Thursday with conspiracy, possession with intent to distribute, and importing.
    https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...840a5d_134360c

Speaking of things medical, Canadian and the border... nice sense of humor by the prosecutor.

Canadian Nurse Busted with 150 Pounds of marijuana at Detroit Border.

It's a shame one person is going to screw up border entry procedure for all essential personnel over this.

Cheapskate should have spent a few bucks for a Nexus card.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast