Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tickets for violating stay home order?

I spoke with a colleague whose wife got a ticket from MSP coming out of Home Depot with cans of paint but no essential items. I haven't seen any news reports of this. I guess if you run errands be sure to buy a candy bar or roll of paper towels!

Anyone else out there have any experiences?

Shown below if the form you must fill out before you leave your residence in Paris. Presumably, the police will check this. Will we
    see a similar, although less wordy, form developed for Michigan and
    Ontario residents?

ATTESTATION DE DÉPLACEMENT DÉROGATOIRE
    En application de l’article 3 du décret du 23 mars 2020 prescrivant les mesures générales nécessaires pour faire face à l’épidémie de Covid19 dans le cadre de l’état d’urgence sanitaire
    Je soussigné[[e),
    Mme/M. :
    Né[[e) le :
    À:
    Demeurant :
    certifie que mon déplacement est lié au motif suivant [[cocher la case) autorisé par l’article 3 du décret du 23 mars 2020 prescrivant les mesures générales nécessaires pour faire face à l’épidémie de Covid19 dans le cadre de l’état d’urgence sanitaire1 :
    Déplacements entre le domicile et le lieu d’exercice de l’activité professionnelle, lorsqu’ils sont indispensables à l’exercice d’activités ne pouvant être organisées sous forme de télétravail ou déplacements professionnels ne pouvant être différés2. Déplacements pour effectuer des achats de fournitures nécessaires à l’activité professionnelle et des achats de première nécessité3 dans des établissements dont les activités demeurent autorisées [[liste sur gouvernement.fr). Consultations et soins ne pouvant être assurés à distance et ne pouvant être différés ; consultations et soins des patients atteints d'une affection de longue durée. Déplacements pour motif familial impérieux, pour l’assistance aux personnes vulnérables ou la garde d’enfants. Déplacements brefs, dans la limite d'une heure quotidienne et dans un rayon maximal d'un kilomètre autour du domicile, liés soit à l'activité physique individuelle des personnes, à l'exclusion de toute pratique sportive collective et de toute proximité avec d'autres personnes, soit à la promenade avec les seules personnes regroupées dans un même domicile, soit aux besoins des animaux de compagnie. Convocation judiciaire ou administrative. Participation à des missions d’intérêt général sur demande de l’autorité administrative.
    Fait à :
    Le : à
    h [[Date et heure de début de sortie à mentionner obligatoirement)
    Signature :
    1 Les personnes souhaitant bénéficier de l'une de ces exceptions doivent se munir s’il y a lieu, lors de leurs déplacements hors de leur domicile, d'un document leur permettant de justifier que le déplacement considéré entre dans le champ de l'une de ces exceptions. 2 A utiliser par les travailleurs non-salariés, lorsqu’ils ne peuvent disposer d’un justificatif de déplacement établi par leur employeur. 3 Y compris les acquisitions à titre gratuit [[distribution de denrées alimentaires…) et les déplacements liés à la perception de prestations sociales et au retrait d’espèces.

Apparently there is a fine if you are stopped on the street and do not
    have this document appropritely filled out.

How the heck do they determine what an essential item is? I'm painting to cover up mold. I'm painting the moldings around my windows to protect them from rain. I'm repainting my bathroom after the walls were damaged. If the Home Depot is open and selling essential items, how the hell do you get a ticket for buying something from them? Would you still get a ticket if you bought four cans of paint and a $0.50 copper pipe elbow to fix a leak?

In a related note, even though there is a legally enforceable lock-down, the police still cannot legally pull you over without probable cause. They can still issue you a ticket, but when they show up in front of a judge they had better have a really good reason to have pulled you over besides "we thought s/he was violating quarantine."

Once the troops get here to "insist", the least of your worries will be a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    I spoke with a colleague whose wife got a ticket from MSP coming out of Home Depot with cans of paint but no essential items. I haven't seen any news reports of this. I guess if you run errands be sure to buy a candy bar or roll of paper towels!

Does your friend have more details about this? Like, were the MSP inspecting all customers bags? Were they masked and gloved when they did it?

That also brings up a curiosity. Shouldn't that be the store's responsibility? it seems that stores like Meijers, Costco, etc. who sell both food and non-essentials have an unfair advantage over small speciality shops, or even a Best Buy, in that they could sell TV's and other items, along with their food essentials while their competitors are shut out.

What community was this Home Depot in?

Passed DNR writing tickets at boat ramp. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    That also brings up a curiosity. Shouldn't that be the store's responsibility? it seems that stores like Meijers, Costco, etc. who sell both food and non-essentials have an unfair advantage over small speciality shops, or even a Best Buy, in that they could sell TV's and other items, along with their food essentials while their competitors are shut out.
    Then you ban them from selling non-essential items. So people buy them from Amazon. Who would you rather get the money, a local brick-and-mortar or Amazon?

Buying cans of spray paint should really be classified as essential,based on if somebody is keeping their mind occupied on a project,it will be a therapy of sorts to psychologically deal with the lock-down.

They are overlooking the millions that are not used to being forced to a confined space and the tricks it can play on ones mind.

When people start going stir crazy is when the stupidity starts kicking in.

Where I am at HD etc is still open but you stand in line outside 6 feet apart and they only let a few in at a time,the two hour wait in line is enough of a discouragement to go if only absolutely necessary,or really really bored.
    Last edited by Richard; March-31-20 at 12:24 PM.

Some times I feel like Wile E. Coyote demonstrating the Law of Cartoon Motion.

You know, that moment where Wile E. Coyote runs off the cliff then stands suspended in air, all proud of his escape.

So far our basic economy and food supply are working and running along mainly out of momentum but the workers in it are starting to look down and go gulp.

^^^ Yep. Great analogy. The 'gulp' is pending.

Gov. Whitmer just hiked the fines for violating the stay at home order to $1,000. This is going to be abused. "You went to the grocery store and bought milk and eggs and a bag of Easter candy. Easter candy is not an essential item. $1000 fine."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...er/5119008002/

^^^ Glad I got my remaining dry cleaning out of the shop two weeks ago. I figured the place may go out of business behind all of this!

Are laundry mats still allowed to be open? I hope so....

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post

Sounds like something is missing from this story. The order allows people:

• To engage in outdoor activity, including walking, hiking, running, cycling, or any other recreational activity consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household.
    • To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves, their family or household members, and their vehicles. Individuals must secure such services or supplies via delivery to the maximum extent possible. As needed, however, individuals may leave the home or place of residence to purchase groceries, take-out food, gasoline, needed medical supplies, and any other products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and basic operation of their residences.

So if the person bought it from a store that is allowed to operate during the emergency, it should fall into one of those categories. Also, unless the driver violated some traffic law, I don't even think the officer had cause to execute the traffic stop. That also raises the question: why any cop would be initiating all but the most critical traffic stops right now?

I've read this thread but haven't seen anyone post the actual Executive Order from Frau Whitmer so here's a link to it. I'll let the experts on the forum speculate as to what one can or cannot do.

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9...2626--,00.html

I noticed on I-696 yesterday two state trooper cars and about 15 motorcyclists were off to the side. There was no apparent accident making me wonder if they were breaking up illegal congregating and/or non-essential travel.

I have no idea if that is the case and am only reporting an observation and curiosity.

I have no idea if that is the case and am only reporting an observation and curiosity.
    Harley and Davidson need separation.

The order is not stopping down staters from hauling their RV's , Trailers full of off road toys north.

Many times there are inlaws and outlaws shacking up at the cabin.

I would suspend any Trooper that violated a citizen's rights.

I noticed on I-696 yesterday two state trooper cars and about 15 motorcyclists were off to the side. There was no apparent accident making me wonder if they were breaking up illegal congregating and/or non-essential travel.

Were they riding 6' apart? Well then...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Harley and Davidson need separation.

Have they been bickering? It happens in long term relationships. Perhaps counseling?

^^^ Yep. Too much devotion causes this sometimes.

My understanding of the $1000 fine/arrest is that it was geared more toward the stores that aren't following the order by staying open when they aren't essential, either to the public or by endangering workers by forcing them to come in. The state is asking people to report non essential workplaces for infractions
    The order increases penalties for violations of specific executive orders from Whitmer: Namely, the prohibition on assemblies of more than 50, the closure of schools, the ban on the use of public accommodation such as restaurants and bars, and the governor’s stay-at-home order prohibiting travel, gatherings and in-person non-essential work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Gov. Whitmer just hiked the fines for violating the stay at home order to $1,000. This is going to be abused. "You went to the grocery store and bought milk and eggs and a bag of Easter candy. Easter candy is not an essential item. $1000 fine."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...er/5119008002/

These are the people who need tickets

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronaviru...-at-home-order

Yet liquor stores are deemed essential because they do sell peanuts/candy. So when someone walks out of a liquor store with a case of wine and a candy bar, that’s okay? What hypocrisy!
    Last edited by cla1945; April-04-20 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Delete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast