Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Herman Kiefer

Default Herman Kiefer

Could Herman Kiefer be reopened as an overflow hospital for Covid 19 patients? Could the National Guard help restore the building so that it could be reopened?

Only if it can be made functional as quickly as it takes the Chinese to build one from scratch....

And that ain't likely...

A quicker hospital is to take over the military armories... such as the one [[or is it two?) on 8 Mile.

The Colonel Brodhead Naval Armory on East Jefferson near Solidarity House is vacant, is it not?

Ron Castellano purchsed or took an option on Herman Keifer in 2017. There were, last summer, a few very modest signs of investments in that property.

Perhaps a civil engineer or hospital architect could tell us whether it would be quicker and less expensive to turn a Naval Armory into a hospital or refit Herman Keifer for use as a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    The Colonel Brodhead Naval Armory on East Jefferson near Solidarity House is vacant, is it not?

Ron Castellano purchsed or took an option on Herman Keifer in 2017. There were, last summer, a few very modest signs of investments in that property.

Perhaps a civil engineer or hospital architect could tell us whether it would be quicker and less expensive to turn a Naval Armory into a hospital or refit Herman Keifer for use as a hospital.
    The Broadhead also requires a lot of work [[and a new roof). I was thinking more of the large Michigan Light Guard Armory on 8 Mile near Ryan.
    Last edited by Gistok; March-31-20 at 09:27 AM.

... we'll see-- certainly, the person who purchased the Keifer property [[and a nearby empty detroit school) hasn't done anything with it. scarcely a peep after this big deal press event several years back..

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Could Herman Kiefer be reopened as an overflow hospital for Covid 19 patients? Could the National Guard help restore the building so that it could be reopened?
    Not trying to sound like Captain Obvious, but probably stripped and totally FU’ed by now.

I live not too far from HK. It's probably not operational but it was not picked-clean as many other abandoned buildings are [[the complex has been sealed with all windows and roof intact).

Still it would be a great deal to get that building going...
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-31-20 at 01:50 PM.

Herman Kiefer’s redevelopers are currently renovating some houses in the area and are receiving flak for their plan to temporarily use vacant lots for a tree farm. The hospital is still in good shape and is actively patrolled by security. They still plan on renovating the complex.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre...amp/5022282002

At one time that was a Tuberculosis treatment hospital. It should be east to set up for quarantine?

I agree with the others above about Kiefer being too far gone.

A big consideration has to be substantial electrical, water and sanitation infrastructure--and ready to go. TCF Center is ideal in that it has an infrastructure to handle crowds of thousands. It also has a substantial kitchen, a 1200 car parking lot and ease of access.

I would think St John Riverview Hospital on Jefferson could be brought back online to assist with lower acuity cases.

^^^ Yes. I could see that brought up to speed far faster than H. Keefer!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ... we'll see-- certainly, the person who purchased the Keifer property [[and a nearby empty detroit school) hasn't done anything with it. scarcely a peep after this big deal press event several years back..
    Who bought that? I miss Hutchins Middle School. I taught there for years. That was were the National Guard was housed during the '67 riots. I had pictures given to me of the National Guard sleeping on cots in my classroom and swimming in the two pools. Great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    Who bought that? I miss Hutchins Middle School. I taught there for years. That was were the National Guard was housed during the '67 riots. I had pictures given to me of the National Guard sleeping on cots in my classroom and swimming in the two pools. Great memories.
    I believe the gentleman's name is Ron Castellano. Circa 2017, there were announcements about his development firm's plans there: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ment/99967362/

Ron Castellano’s plan for a walkable commercial campus on the sprawling site is inching forward as he takes ownership of the property this spring. The developer acquired the complex in a $925,000 deal approved by Detroit’s City Council in fall 2015.
    Castellano’s Herman Kiefer Development LLC has a multiyear development agreement to rehabilitate and reuse the seven medical complex buildings and 462,605-square-foot main hospital, the former Hutchins and Crosman schools, as well as the JTPA nursing school.
    He’s also taking on maintenance of 300 empty lots and 100 vacant homes in the Virginia Park neighborhood, city officials said.
    Castellano recently held the first in a series of community meetings to share early plans for the complex and gather feedback from the southeast Detroit community.

Hutchins was stripped/ picked clean down to the window shashes, jams and the windows, ducting, etc. When the stripping was going on full tilt about six years ago you could all but hear the hammers and saws going all the time.

It now has that plastic 'sheeting' up to the window holes but otherwise it sits empty. Huge foot print that property takes up along Woodrow Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hutchins was stripped/ picked clean down to the window shashes, jams and the windows, ducting, etc. When the stripping was going on full tilt about six years ago you could all but hear the hammers and saws going all the time.

It now has that plastic 'sheeting' up to the window holes but otherwise it sits empty. Huge foot print that property takes up along Woodrow Wilson.
    I drove by yesterday and saw that plastic sheeting. How sad! That school has great history. It was once the largest MIDDLE school ever built in the USA. They had all kinds of interesting facts plastered outside the principal's office along with alum like Aretha Franklin, Lily Tomlin, and Stevie Wonder. A school with TWO full gyms, TWO full pools and 14 foot cement floors. The old building engineer took me down to the old bomb shelter basement where there were still 55 gallon drums labeled fresh water, probably 2000 cots, blankets, etc. The 4th floor was off limits to students and staff but we snuck up there a few times and they must have had 500 old musical instruments and band clothes. Old newspapers from the 40's, 50's, and all kinds of stuff. No one ever bothered to clean it out.

Name:  Hutchins Graduation 2007 [[12).jpg
Views: 837
Size:  87.9 KBName:  Hutchins Graduation 2007 [[15).jpg
Views: 810
Size:  51.3 KBName:  Hutchins Pictures 2005 [[5).jpg
Views: 868
Size:  67.4 KB

^^^Wow. Look at that wood flooring, woodworking etc. and that long hallway! I knew it was huge. The football field along the back side is huge too! Must have been a heck of heating plant to warm that school in the winter!

Too bad so much history tossed away.

alum like Aretha Franklin, Lily Tomlin, and Stevie Wonder
    And my mother. I still have kicking around the back storage somewhere her Hutchins yearbook from 1942.