Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Auto Show Cancelled - TCF Center To Be Used For Hospital Overflow

Very unlikely auto show would have been held anyway. It seems like only yesterday we looked forward to the renovation of Cobo, allowing a bright future for the show. Now it hasn't been held for 2 yrs. in a row and it's future as a major int'l show is in doubt.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ow/2934470001/

Oh well! better luck next year. See you in June of 2021.

It's been a little over a year not two years.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Now it hasn't been held for 2 yrs. in a row and it's future as a major int'l show is in doubt.
    It was held in 2019.
    https://youtu.be/21HtqxTTRBg

Frankfurt closed its doors for good last year. Geneva and Beijing have also been cancelled due to Covid 19.

The takeaway from this? They expect this to be a crisis well into May. It takes about two weeks to set up, and it was scheduled to start June 7.

I have an acquaintance in the epicenter of the virus in Germany... and he and his family have been quarantined for 5 weeks... with supposedly 3 more to go....

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The takeaway from this? They expect this to be a crisis well into May. It takes about two weeks to set up, and it was scheduled to start June 7.
    I certainly believe that corona situation could last into May. However, let's say it's wrapped up in April. You're still going to have a large amount of people that will avoid large public gatherings for a while. That would have impact on attendance.

Freep is reporting it'll be a field hospital for at least six months. This will go well into summer, if not longer.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...al/2934331001/

What a pisser, to lose the first year after they moved it and were hoping for bigger and better things. But it's been clear for a couple of weeks now that it was increasingly unlikely to be held. Good that they are converting Cobo for what is already needed and will be much more needed in the all too near future.

We will have been extremely fortunate if this is substantially over by late May. But it sure doesn't seem likely right now.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Freep is reporting it'll be a field hospital for at least six months. This will go well into summer, if not longer.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...al/2934331001/
    I think most people realize this will be an issue for at least a year. The thing is how long we have to quarantine for?

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    I think most people realize this will be an issue for at least a year. The thing is how long we have to quarantine for?
    Detroit Grand Prix...CANCELLED

N.A.I.A.S...CANCELLED

Forth of July Events...CANCELLED

Woodward Dream Cruise...CANCELLED

Detroit Jazz Fest...CANCELLED

Arts Beats and Eats....CANCELLED

Oktoberfest activities...CANCELLED

Halloween...CANCELLED

Thanksgiving...CANCELLED [[Isolated families with COVID-19 symptoms are welcomed.)

Christmas....CANCELLED!!!

This will be the new normal of social distancing. Until a vaccine, medical treatments or a miracle from Jesus comes, COVID-19 is here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    It's been a little over a year not two years.
    Okay. Won't be held for 2 years. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I have an acquaintance in the epicenter of the virus in Germany... and he and his family have been quarantined for 5 weeks... with supposedly 3 more to go....
    EVERYBODY needs to be tested. When I do my annual exams, I have to get cholesterol, A1c, liver, kidney, all those tests. Everybody as far as I know who has insurance has to take the annual exam. This test should be administered to EVERYBODY. And it shouldn't take one week for results. If you can get your labs back in 24 hours, the same with this C-virus test. We should have enough tests for everybody in the US. That means hundreds of millions of people.
    I remember when I went for a shingles test and was told to wait 2 months....because? there was only ONE COMPANY that had a monopoly on the test and they were backlogged.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    EVERYBODY needs to be tested
    Agree. Until an effective vaccine arrives, the only way confidence can be restored is if the virus can be tracked down, quarantined and eliminated.

Everybody should be tested for the virus and for its antibodies to detect those who have had it and are naturally immunized. And the tests should be done every two weeks until contained. After that it will be about surrounding and extinguishing outbreaks.

Ultimately it could hopefully be tracked down and wiped out like smallpox and polio [almost].

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    When I do my annual exams, I have to get cholesterol, A1c, liver, kidney, all those tests. Everybody as far as I know who has insurance has to take the annual exam.
    You don't know very far. My insurance suggests an annual checkup but doesn't [[can't ) demand it. And those checkups in years I decide to go are only verbal conversations and a few simple readings, pulse, respirations, etc. Rarely a blood test, maybe every three years.

The only ones I know of that are required to get full annual physicals are pilots, trucks drivers and a few similar occupations.

NOBODY can make me go. NOBODY. This is still America despite the orange demon's attempts to destroy it.

As an incentive, they do offer a $25 Gift Card bonus however.

Indeed insurance requirements vary as do their incentives.

For example my health care offers a rate-based incentive for complying to annual 'Wellness' exams. You're eligible for lower copays and deductibles for yearly blood workups etc. Some insurances will default you into higher deductible plans if you smoke or have BMI over 30.

Some provide the option for smoking cessation programs, or membership to a weight maintenance plan. I've liked having my blood checks annually, providing me a baseline reference. Blood draws can detect sugar levels, and many other issues - before they become a problem.

Lipid profile [[a kind of blood analysis that checks several factors) blood checks for example can detect several systemic problems before even symptoms, such as cholesterol levels [[good and bad).

Health care workers are probably requested to take annuals regardless to any incentives. That makes sense to me per their profession.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-30-20 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I think they said they're planning for TCF to be an overflow hospital for up to 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Agree. Until an effective vaccine arrives, the only way confidence can be restored is if the virus can be tracked down, quarantined and eliminated.

Everybody should be tested for the virus and for its antibodies to detect those who have had it and are naturally immunized. And the tests should be done every two weeks until contained. After that it will be about surrounding and extinguishing outbreaks.

Ultimately it could hopefully be tracked down and wiped out like smallpox and polio [almost].
    That would require a huge reliance on the Chinese government. Good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think they said they're planning for TCF to be an overflow hospital for up to 6 months.
    But everything should be fine by Easter, why waste money on a temporary hospital? /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The reality is, as overwhelmed as hospitals are and will be, at most only 20% of the population will be exposed to the virus by June. That means the other 80+% are still vulnerable whenever they decide to come out of hiding. Summer may reduce transmission, but there will be another wave unless a treatment or vaccine shows up much sooner than expected.

I just had a discussion with 2 ladies on Facebook, that were not quite up to snuff on that. They were talking about going to Italy in August... until I brought up the concept that there will be no safety until a vaccine show up. I worry about the entertainment industry [[concerts, etc.). Large gatherings cannot take place until a vaccine. I wonder if Ticketmaster is going to go bankrupt... not to mention the venues... and on it goes...
    Last edited by Gistok; March-30-20 at 10:42 PM.

More Americans died from COVID-19 in the month of March than have died in Afghanistan dating back to 2001. We must do absolutely whatever it takes to stop this virus. It will define this generarion of young people like 9/11 did for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    More Americans died from COVID-19 in the month of March than have died in Afghanistan dating back to 2001. We must do absolutely whatever it takes to stop this virus. It will define this generarion of young people like 9/11 did for mine.
    I agree with you almost 100%... but many generations have experienced and are defined by 9/11. This has been the worst since the Spanish Flu epidemic 100 years ago, where there was no hope... at least we have some hope.

The Black Plague in the 14th century was worst... as it cleared out 30-60% of the population of Europe... and the death toll is estimated to have brought the world's population from 475 million down to 350-375 million.

We just are kept informed about the total experience by news organizations, and therefore have a higher stress level than previous pandemics. Do like I do... turn off your news.
    Last edited by Gistok; March-31-20 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I just had a discussion with 2 ladies on Facebook, that were not quite up to snuff on that. They were talking about going to Italy in August... until I brought up the concept that there will be no safety until a vaccine show up. I worry about the entertainment industry [[concerts, etc.). Large gatherings cannot take place until a vaccine. I wonder if Ticketmaster is going to go bankrupt... not to mention the venues... and on it goes...
    Except for the impact on employees, would love Ticketmaster to go bankrupt. Can't think of a more hated company. Hidden fees, misleading advertising, holding back seats to make venues look like few tickets left, etc.

I bet there won't be a lot of spring weddings this year...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast