Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Longtime Detroit funeral dir. O'Neil D. Swanson Passes

From article:

As the founder of Swanson Funeral Home, O'Neil D. Swanson was at the forefront of handling services for thousands of Metro Detroit families over the past six decades at several locations across Detroit.

Swanson, 86, was considered a legend and an icon among funeral directors across the country and his funerals for luminaries as Rosa Parks and Aretha Franklin were noted as grand affairs that sometimes featured a horse-drawn carriage.

His death was confirmed by the funeral home Friday...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ob...es/2924947001/
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-27-20 at 12:28 PM.

So sorry to hear that. When he first came to Detroit back in the early 60's he came to the church I was attending on the Eastside at the time. I remember he introduced himself to the congregation and asked to consider him when making funeral arrangements. From then on I can't remember any other funeral director providing funeral services at the church.